Mets 2019 Season Thread | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Mets 2019 Season Thread

SU grad (and great guy) Jayson Stark perhaps sums up the trade the best:

“Nobody can confuse an entire industry like the Mets.”

My question? Why not just keep Thor and have arguably the best rotation in baseball, at least for the next year and a half?

If the Mets give the Red Sox Diaz for a Dalbec led package and the Astros Syndergaard I gotta say my respect for the Mets GM goes up.
It’s totally a spite to the Yankees.

Dodgers fan. I love the Mets right now! Toronto too! Thank you!

Yankees and Houston...no soup for you!!!

Yasmani Grandal will be a FA after this season and was close to signing with the Mets. He isn't opposed to negotiating with them.

He will put up numbers and do a good job behind the plate - in the regular season.

If you make the playoffs, expect historical levels of awful. It’s weird.

OK, then why a virtual swap of Thor for Stroman? That's what I don't get.
My guess is when Thor reaches FA he's gonzo... Stroman is a native and will come a lot cheaper than Thor.

Also It's not Thor for Stroman its Thor for Stroman and whatever else Thor brings and Wheeler, who I would presume gets re-signed if they trade Thor. Basically you're getting like for like (in terms of performance not potential) for less money and you're getting additional assets.

I love Thor's potential and I think when he learns to pitch he will be an all time great... I actually hope the Mets hold onto him and trade Vargas or Wheeler. The move I would make is unloading Diaz... that trade looks worse and worse with every Diaz appearance.

if diaz was last yrs diaz we are sitting in the WC spot right now.

he throws too hard to be struggling so much

My guess is when Thor reaches FA he's gonzo... Stroman is a native and will come a lot cheaper than Thor.

Also It's not Thor for Stroman its Thor for Stroman and whatever else Thor brings and Wheeler, who I would presume gets re-signed if they trade Thor. Basically you're getting like for like (in terms of performance not potential) for less money and you're getting additional assets.

I love Thor's potential and I think when he learns to pitch he will be an all time great... I actually hope the Mets hold onto him and trade Vargas or Wheeler. The move I would make is unloading Diaz... that trade looks worse and worse with every Diaz appearance.

But don't the Mets have a full year more of control on Thor than on Stroman?And isn't Stroman older? And don't forget that the Mets gave up two top (at least as far as their system goes) prospects. If they trade Thor, they're treading water. Either marginally better off or marginally worse. If they keep him, their rotation rivals the Dodgers'. Which is what I'd do.

if diaz was last yrs diaz we are sitting in the WC spot right now.

he throws too hard to be struggling so much

Like Noah, he can't find his slider because of the new ball. If he gets dealt, it would have been a really bad first year for Van Wagenen. I don't cry over prospects because tearing it up in the minors is entirely different than the majors, but you don't give up your better draftees for someone you didn't let complete the season.

Mets off-loaded Vargas to Phils for a non-prospect catcher. Yeah, he should do GREAT in Citizens Bank Park. Not.

Surprising trade by a front office that continues to do unexpected things. Sometimes unexpected and good, sometimes not so much. This is surely being done as a proactive move to backfill the rotation from a trade soon to be made.

Sounds to me as though they decided they needed to either sign Wheeler to a long term contract or trade for another starter before moving a starter. I hope the guy that gets moved is Vargas or Wheeler but know in my heart they are going to trade Thor. It is really strange to replace a strikeout pitcher or two with a ground ball pitcher when you have an historically inept infield defense but that is the Met way.

I hope this means Rosario is getting moved to CF, where there is a chance he might actually be a good defensive player.

It is time to think about the lineup for next year.

LF Cespedes
CF Rosario
RF Conforto
3B Davis
SS Gimenez/Guillomore
2B McNeil
1B Alonso
C Ramos

Hopefully Nimmo will eventually come back and replace Cespedes when he gets hurt again. Dom Smith can fill in at LF and 1B and be a pinch hitter. Frazier needs to become a bench guy next season. Davis is too good to keep on the bench. I hope Gimenez is ready. If not, I think Guillomore will be okay as a stop gap or I guess they could keep Rosario at SS one more year. Cano needs to be released. If he has any pride, he will fake his death and live a life of seclusion on a remote beach somewhere in South America.

With Nimmo set to replace Cespedes soon, the day to day lineup is filled with very good young players everywhere except at catcher. For that reason, I am hoping when a starting pitcher is moved, a top notch young catcher is part of the deal. Hopefully one who has no injury history.

Frazier is a FA at the end of this year I think, you won't have to worry about him. Cano is another story and no we don't want him back either.

i dont get the vargas trade at all.. got nothing for him but did free up some money $2mill and $2mill next yr so i guess thats something, but trading him in the division is strange. now if they trade wheeler/noah they are short a starter for this yr. now if they were to keep them both and figure out how to sign them without breaking the bank and matz is your oft broken number 5 or your long guy in the pen??

Boston media is saying Red Sox and Mets are talking one of
Andrew Benintiendi or Michael Chavis and our top 1b prospect Triston Casas for Syndergaard and Diaz.

How is the Mets OF? Benintiendi can easily be a CF if the Sox didn’t have Bradley and Betts.

Trading a starting pitcher to a team you are trying to catch in the standings makes no sense unless you aren't trying to catch them - or you expect him to implode and help you more in their rotation than in your own.

Trading a starting pitcher to a team you are trying to catch in the standings makes no sense unless you aren't trying to catch them - or you expect him to implode and help you more in their rotation than in your own.

It's a salary dump. I mean, at best, he's Joe Blanton, a soft-tossing 'crafty' veteran. And Joe Blanton-types don't do well in Citizens Bank Park. I don't know why the Phils wanted him. Drew Smyly and now Vargas? I think it's time to question the Phils' decision-makers.

the dynamics of the money is interesting.. vargas for stroman.. jays gave the money to basically pay his last 3 months of salary and they also dont have to pay Vargas 2 million next yr..

if they sit on the starters they have now its a pretty good net of money less 2 fringe minor league guys.

if they trader frazier and moved Davis to 3rd i would be OK with that.

Thor or wheeler leaving leaves a huge hole they better gets 2-3 prospects for

that leaves Diaz. if you can get him turned around keep him. if not getting a decent CF guy would help a bit.

Boston media is saying Red Sox and Mets are talking one of
Andrew Benintiendi or Michael Chavis and our top 1b prospect Triston Casas for Syndergaard and Diaz.

How is the Mets OF? Benintiendi can easily be a CF if the Sox didn’t have Bradley and Betts.
The Mets have 3 good corner OFs in Conforto, Nimmo and Cespedes. They have no serviceable player at CF. Big need. I think they should move Rosario there. He is an elite athlete wasted at SS, a position where he is a below average fielder.

If they trade a starting pitcher, they should either get a top prospect close to being ready for MLB who plays CF or SS. They need to be able to field and hit.

If they trade for another corner OF, it will freak me out. The Mets being the Mets, this is exactly what they will do.

If they trade for a SS, that player better be better than Gimenez.

It is hard to root for a team like this.

The Mets have 3 good corner OFs in Conforto, Nimmo and Cespedes. They have no serviceable player at CF. Big need. I think they should move Rosario there. He is an elite athlete wasted at SS, a position where he is a below average fielder.

If they trade a starting pitcher, they should either get a top prospect close to being ready for MLB who plays CF or SS. They need to be able to field and hit.

If they trade for another corner OF, it will freak me out. The Mets being the Mets, this is exactly what they will do.

If they trade for a SS, that player better be better than Gimenez.

It is hard to root for a team like this.
I wouldn’t want to trade Syndergaard but Benintiendi is a CF who is playing LF because Bradley and Betts are gold Glovers.

The 1b prospect is apparently a good hitter but I think the Mets would get a little more than just those 2 if they did the deal. Honestly Chavis and Benintiendi would be a good package.
Chavis can play 2b and 1b.

Syndergaard sure looked like a keeper tonight.

Diaz looked like a basket case. Hernandez had mentioned the last time out that he was throwing form 3/4 when he needs to come over the top. Darling tonight said that he was "throwing nervous" and aiming the ball. (Not very accurately he was Dalkowski wild.) Mickey Calloway said "his arm was late", whatever that means. Would anyone even want him right now?

Diaz looked like a basket case. Hernandez had mentioned the last time out that he was throwing form 3/4 when he needs to come over the top. Darling tonight said that he was "throwing nervous" and aiming the ball. (Not very accurately he was Dalkowski wild.) Mickey Calloway said "his arm was late", whatever that means. Would anyone even want him right now?
Brodie gave up a ton and took on Cano’s contract to get this guy. Unbelievable.

If someone wants him they should get what they can... they are selling low but they can’t use him any more.

He had no feel for the zone or any command. If Diaz doesn't get moved, his leash needs to be a lot shorter. Thankfully they won and McCann only got hit on the shoulder and not the face.

he is throwing hard and wild.. i cant believe they cant get it mostly under control.. what happened from last year when he was in hitable.

if Gesellman? can get his act together lugo would be a decent closer. people complain about Calloway but dang its hard when you dont know game to game who to rely on.

if Alonso wakes up from the post all star game slump that would help too.

cano fell off a cliff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom