Mick Cronin to UCLA | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Mick Cronin to UCLA

OK, so I'm old. Kill me.

UConn played in 4 of the last 5 Big East Championship games of the 90s, and then 4 out of 5 Big East Championship games from 2000 - 2004. Eight championship game appearances in 10 years.

Pitt played in 7 out of 8 Big East Championship games from 2001-2008.

Ben Howland was at Pitt from 1999 to 2003, and Dixon took over in 2003-04 and stayed for 12 or 13 years.
(I honestly thought Howland had stayed longer than that, but I guess not ...)

Between the 2 of them, they achieved 10-straight seasons with at least 20 overall wins, 10 conference wins, and an NCAA Tournament appearance from 2002 through 2011.

I thought Howland got pushed out of UCLA because of the lack of tournament success, but he did last 10 seasons there. He had some great players, too - Kevin Love, Darren Collison, Russell Westbrook, Jordan Farmar and Arron Afflalo.

Maybe they wouldn't mind a do-over at UCLA. Howland wasn't as bad as they remembered, and maybe Dixon can bring them back. I think he's a good coach. He went 15-6 against SU. I don't think anybody has a better record against Boeheim than that.
I'm not hearing anyone out here pining away for the good old days of Ben Howland.

That UCLA is having trouble filling the position is not surprising. See this piece from John Feinstein:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...2f46684196e_story.html?utm_term=.aeb75471e60d

On Dan Patrick's show this week, Seth Davis, who wrote a book on Wooden and interviewed the Wizard extensively, said that John Wooden's max salary at UCLA was $32,500. One year after Wooden retired, Boeheim was hired by SU and started at about $5K less.

Honestly they should probably wait for Luke Walton to be fired and then hire him. He has a big name and a style of play they would like.
If Walton goes the college route it will probably be at his Alma Mater, Arizona. They should be looking for a new coach after the FBI hearings later this month.

If Walton goes the college route it will probably be at his Alma Mater, Arizona. They should be looking for a new coach after the FBI hearings later this month.

Which do you think is the better job, though? I think UCLA is the better job, personally.
He was a good assistant for the Warriors, he got off to a very promising start in LA. He was bringing along a style of play, developing a young core, but the talent wasn't quite there yet.
Then LaBron, and kaboom. LeBron may be the GOAT, or in the Top 5 all-time, certainly.

But he's not a GM. He just showed that, and gave away one of his few remaining years as an elite player by bringing in a bunch of scrubs and kicking out some decent young talent. I mean, Michael Beasley? Rajon Rondo? Lance Stephenson? Tyson Chandler? How old is he, 40? Can he even dunk anymore?

Which is weird because outside of Harrick he’s been their best coach since Wooden.
Even tho he was from Santa Barbara, which no one would ever confuse with LA, he never fit the LA culture. Gotta remember LA is about style and substance.

Even tho he was from Santa Barbara, which no one would ever confuse with LA, he never fit the LA culture. Gotta remember LA is about style and substance.

I think Hop would be popular there.

hey, if they were willing to hold their nose & hire calipari . . .

then why not pitino?

wonder if they're in the process of throwing everything they have at Beard

wonder if they're in the process of throwing everything they have at Beard

He’s from Texas. He’s a University if Texas alum. I wonder if Texas is waiting to dump Shaka for him after Monday.

So you disagree with the national publications that have rated Syracuse as a top 10 job in the recent past?

That was coming from unbiased outsiders, not Syracuse fans.

I'd like to see the criteria that were used. I'm guessing there wasn't much science in them. I wouldn't take this any more seriously than I would take their pre-season rankings. (Where were Texas Tech and Auburn ranked pre-season anyway? In 2003, SU was ranked where?)

I'll tell you this with some certainty because I have watched any number of these coaching searches.

1. The fans of the programs always over-rate the attractiveness of the job and almost immediately suggest the best coaches or the currently "hottest" ones. (And are shocked when either these coaches say they aren't interested or the AD doesn't even bother to pursue because he knows there is no interest or no hope in getting him. Or they are not about to wreck the whole coaching salary structure by offering tons of money even if they can afford it.

2. The Search Consultants always include names that are "stretches". It's all part of the game. They are collecting a fee, remember.

3. When it comes down to the end, there's always major settling for less than the most optimistic wanted.

The desirability of the job has nothing to do with how good the program is and everything to do with the candidate's assessment of how hard it will be to maintain the program at its current level and maybe even improve on that.

He's literally betting his career he can do as well as JB or better. If it's a big jump in salary and visibility, a coach might want the job.

I'd like to see the criteria that were used. I'm guessing there wasn't much science in them. I wouldn't take this any more seriously than I would take their pre-season rankings. (Where were Texas Tech and Auburn ranked pre-season anyway? In 2003, SU was ranked where?)

I'll tell you this with some certainty because I have watched any number of these coaching searches.

1. The fans of the programs always over-rate the attractiveness of the job and almost immediately suggest the best coaches or the currently "hottest" ones. (And are shocked when either these coaches say they aren't interested or the AD doesn't even bother to pursue because he knows there is no interest or no hope in getting him. Or they are not about to wreck the whole coaching salary structure by offering tons of money even if they can afford it.

2. The Search Consultants always include names that are "stretches". It's all part of the game. They are collecting a fee, remember.

3. When it comes down to the end, there's always major settling for less than the most optimistic wanted.

The desirability of the job has nothing to do with how good the program is and everything to do with the candidate's assessment of how hard it will be to maintain the program at its current level and maybe even improve on that.

He's literally betting his career he can do as well as JB or better. If it's a big jump in salary and visibility, a coach might want the job.

ESPN had it at 7 in 2012.
Brennan: The nation's top 10 coaching jobs

We keep going 20-13 or whatever, and maybe some of these candidates will think they can do better!

It’s not like we’ve been going 30-5 or 34-3 lately.

We have among the highest attendance and highest income in the country as a program.
That alone makes this a premier job.

The fact that we play Duke and Carolina every year means if we win the conference, we are in the national conversation. The ACC is the best league in the country, and will get the most media coverage, and be the best platform to get prospects into the NBA.

This is a great job, period. If you don't get that, you just don't understand.

UCLA going after Rick Barnes now?

Wow. Would not have seen that coming two years ago.

We have among the highest attendance and highest income in the country as a program.

The fact that we play Duke and Carolina every year means if we win the conference, we are in the national conversation. The ACC is the best league in the country, and will get the most media coverage, and be the best platform to get prospects into the NBA.

The one element of our job that is very difficult to gauge is that it hasn’t been open since 1976.

Let me repeat that. Nineteen seventy-six.

There is no history of recent hires. No history of how our administration would react to a losing season. No history of how much leash we would give a new coach if they struggle.

Our fans think it’s a great job because we’ve been a borderline blue blood for 30 years now.
We have a ring, great fan support and home court advantage. Great history. Lots to attract interest.

But JB’s salary is a bargain and his zone is so part of not only him, but the program:

I think a lot depends on how these next couple of years unfold.

There would be a LOT of pressure on a new coach if the “winning season streak” is still in tact.

God help a new coach that ruins that in his first season.

The one element of our job that is very difficult to gauge is that it hasn’t been open since 1976.

Let me repeat that. Nineteen seventy-six.

There is no history of recent hires. No history of how our administration would react to a losing season. No history of how much leash we would give a new coach if they struggle.

Our fans think it’s a great job because we’ve been a borderline blue blood for 30 years now.
We have a ring, great fan support and home court advantage. Great history. Lots to attract interest.

But JB’s salary is a bargain and his zone is so part of not only him, but the program:

I think a lot depends on how these next couple of years unfold.

There would be a LOT of pressure on a new coach if the “winning season streak” is still in tact.

God help a new coach that ruins that in his first season.

If a new coach lost that streak in his first year, the fanbase will run him out of town. Its one thing for guys like Desko and JB to struggle a bit from their prime years but ball under .500 isn't going to fly at all. People will revolt.

Well, we are about to see who is right on this. no sense arguing about what cannot be proved either way. Just need some patience.

We'll see who is right. I say the job is no where near as attractive as the fan base thinks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom