Micron - Let’s try this again | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Micron - Let’s try this again

I’m also curious if the type of chip matters, I don’t think global foundries and micron make the same type of semiconductor, however I could be wrong and I’m not an engineer. Considering the time it takes to build a chip plant they need to budget out their production capabilities 20+ years to meet the growing demand. The capacity being built in Syracuse is for 5-10+ down the line and not for the next 3 years obviously
Looks to me like Global Foundries makes silicon wafers, which are the foundation for microchips.

Micron uses silicon as a starting point for the computer memory chips that they make. I believe the plant in Clay will focus on making computer memory chips. Not sure if this will be a mix of RAM and SIM cards; sounds like Micron makes both.

The big attraction of the Austin Tx area was (is) Austin was the location of the chip research center. I don't know the actual name of it, but every 20 years or so the chip companies join together to do joint research on the next generation of chip development.
Gov. Pataki along with the chairman of IBM selected Suny at Albany. The result being Global Foundries. The Universities in Upstate New York (Suny Albany, Utica, SU, Cornell, U of R, and Ub) need to band together To make upstate a force in tech.
This is a big part of the recent growth in the metropolitan Phoenix area. Intel increasing their already large operations, a substantial number of smaller and medium tech companies moving from California or the Pacific NW and now we have Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing coming in with a 12 billion dollar plant in North Phoenix, all growing our economy. I live close enough to the Taiwan Chip Co. (6-7 miles probably) that it will spike the value of my home for those who will want to live in an already established area of town. It will bring a ton of new housing developments and the infrastructure that goes with it, along with the taxes that they will collect from all of the new homes and businesses. We are now the 5th largest metro area in the US and one of, if not the fastest growing area. But the pluses of what this has brought are life changing in only the most positive ways.

This is a big part of the recent growth in the metropolitan Phoenix area. Intel increasing their already large operations, a substantial number of smaller and medium tech companies moving from California or the Pacific NW and now we have Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing coming in with a 12 billion dollar plant in North Phoenix, all growing our economy. I live close enough to the Taiwan Chip Co. (6-7 miles probably) that it will spike the value of my home for those who will want to live in an already established area of town. It will bring a ton of new housing developments and the infrastructure that goes with it, along with the taxes that they will collect from all of the new homes and businesses. We are now the 5th largest metro area in the US and one of, if not the fastest growing area. But the pluses of what this has brought are life changing in only the most positive ways.
I remember when they built the 101, and how that helped bring people to the outskirts. Obviously, the growth has taken people past that point. I've never been on the 303 but do they have plans to expand that? The North and West of the city are great areas and I would imagine is where a lot of the growth is occurring. Although its probably all directions as I remember the Gilbert area before that started developing twenty years ago as I almost purchased property there and now that's blown up.

Where will the water come from for all of that?

Where will the water come from for all of that?
It has been planned for. Phoenix is building new water and wast infrastructure for this. In AZ you have to file your water plans before proceeding. We are also officially out of the severe or extreme drought condition. California is still severe, but we just crossed over the line into just drought. Also any new home developments will have to have water plans. Phoenix is running new lines into town from different water sources further away. It is a concern, but not something that you stop progress over yet.

Bill Gates bought like a billion, trillion acres west of the 303. to basically build a whole city some day. I don't know what plans there would be to expand the 303. It goes from I17 to the 101 west of the city. They would have to go through some mountains to take it further east, and right now there is not real development there. Same with looping it south and around town. They just recently looped the 202 south around South Mountain. While Phoenix goes about 10-15 miles north of the 101, the development there is still fairly on the light side. The chip factory will be just west of I17 and south of the 303.

Bill Gates bought like a billion, trillion acres west of the 303. to basically build a whole city some day. I don't know what plans there would be to expand the 303. It goes from I17 to the 101 west of the city. They would have to go through some mountains to take it further east, and right now there is not real development there. Same with looping it south and around town. They just recently looped the 202 south around South Mountain. While Phoenix goes about 10-15 miles north of the 101, the development there is still fairly on the light side. The chip factory will be just west of I17 and south of the 303.
Thanks. And if Gates builds it, it wouldn't be the first planned community in AZ.

It has been planned for. Phoenix is building new water and wast infrastructure for this. In AZ you have to file your water plans before proceeding. We are also officially out of the severe or extreme drought condition. California is still severe, but we just crossed over the line into just drought. Also any new home developments will have to have water plans. Phoenix is running new lines into town from different water sources further away. It is a concern, but not something that you stop progress over yet.
I think the question still stands of "where will water come from"? I'm not sure the colorado river can support that type of growth in the long term. I think it's the one advantage our area has and micron certainly understood long term access to effectively unlimited water is massive

I think the question still stands of "where will water come from"? I'm not sure the colorado river can support that type of growth in the long term. I think it's the one advantage our area has and micron certainly understood long term access to effectively unlimited water is massive

The north will rise again.

how do they plan on dealing with the no water issue out there for this type of tech?

It can't...expensive pipelines will have to continue to be built.

Maybe a desalination plant with a pipeline to Mexico?

It can't...expensive pipelines will have to continue to be built.

Maybe a desalination plant with a pipeline to Mexico?
My son lives in San Diego and they have a desalination plant in Carlsbad but it too is very expensive. Hopefully the technology will improve and costs go down for it. The extremely high costs to build and passed down to users have really restricted expansion of these plants.

Looks to me like Global Foundries makes silicon wafers, which are the foundation for microchips.

Micron uses silicon as a starting point for the computer memory chips that they make. I believe the plant in Clay will focus on making computer memory chips. Not sure if this will be a mix of RAM and SIM cards; sounds like Micron makes both.

Micron is a memory chip manufacturer. That's all they make. Flash memories (NAND, NOR etc.).

GF is what is known as a pure play foundry. They manufacture chips for their customers based upon their customer's designs which are based in part on their process technology nodes (the very complicated process steps necessary to manufacture a semiconductor).

Both of them use silicon substrates to manufacture semiconductors but GF is also beginning to manufacture chips using gallium nitride on silicon substrates.

you cant scale up these things late.. the idea was to be ahead of the game this time when demand builds again and it will.
Agree. Memory chips are one of the few things you can absolutely bank on demand continuing to soar long term.

One of the many reasons this plant is such a great fit for our area.

Everything is cyclical. It’s not a surprise there are layoffs, it was bound to happen at some point. The rate of growth in this sector, this was easy to forecast.

The micron layoffs are also not as bad as the heading implies. It’s only 10% which as demand drops, that % originally hired was probably already forecasted to be largely short term to keep up with previous increase in demand. They are also not mass layoffs; voluntary and attrition is expected to make up a large % of the layoffs. So it’s not even 10% in layoffs. It’s merely not refilling most positions.

Not right now I wouldn’t. People thought 6 months ago it was smart to catch stocks at the bottom and buy big. Don’t buy anything right now, if you do, you’re going to lose $.
DCA but I generally agree I would wait a few months