Micron - Let’s try this again | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Micron - Let’s try this again

I didn't think I would ever say this, but after spending some time in Oswego this summer they could use more bars. However there is a new one with a rooftop bar which is nice but they all close so early.
21 year old drinking age law...really killed off a lot of business

Interesting. Since anyone who has a pulse is working now, a lot of people will be hired away from their current jobs. That will leave a ton of jobs infilled.
Some jobs yes...at Micron can be for general skills.

The technology jobs however will be a boon for STEM folks fresh out of college and mid-career. I see local companies like Anaren, Sensis, Lockheed Martin, etc...going to see some job hopping. However, as more STEM folks arrive it will be good for all companies.

I heard they suspended the direct MSP flight...at least temporarily. Maybe RF2044 knows
I was a weekly business traveler out of SYR up until 2018… the MSP route was always suspended from the fall through March/April timeframe. Was always a seasonal route. Not sure what the status is now, but just wanted to offer up what I know about it.

Has support jobs been defined? Are we talking new places to eat lunch? What are support jobs and where are they getting these numbers? That # seems ridiculous and as someone mention for dramatic effect.

Their would likely be an influx of workers from out of state the same as with Global Foundries. I'm 25 miles away from our chip plant and two of my neighbors work there. One family moved from Massachusetts and the other family moved from Florida.

One quibble though I don't necessarily consider Global Foundaries off the beaten path, it's 3 miles from an I87 Northway exit between Clifton Park and Saratoga. It's within 20-25 miles of the the northern suburbs of Albany.

Saratoga County also has the cheapest taxes in the State. So while we've had a huge run up on real estate prices our taxes remain low. I can't imagine a similar run-up on real estate costs combined with your exorbitantly high taxes.

Saratoga County also has the cheapest taxes in the State. So while we've had a huge run up on real estate prices our taxes remain low. I can't imagine a similar run-up on real estate costs combined with your exorbitantly high taxes.
My brother lives in Saratoga County, he's told me that real estate tax is low because of the race track. Not sure if that's true but either way Onondaga County does not allow any gambling within it's limits. It's the school tax in the suburbs that's a killer. Taxes within the city limits are not bad for the most part.

My brother lives in Saratoga County, he's told me that real estate tax is low because of the race track. Not sure if that's true but either way Onondaga County does not allow any gambling within it's limits. It's the school tax in the suburbs that's a killer. Taxes within the city limits are not bad for the most part.

It's low because of travel and tourism for sure. It's not just the track. Hotels are filled all summer and fall, huge bed taxes. From Memorial Day to Labor day it's vacation land.

Has support jobs been defined? Are we talking new places to eat lunch? What are support jobs and where are they getting these numbers? That # seems ridiculous and as someone mention for dramatic effect.

Their would likely be an influx of workers from out of state the same as with Global Foundries. I'm 25 miles away from our chip plant and two of my neighbors work there. One family moved from Massachusetts and the other family moved from Florida.

One quibble though I don't necessarily consider Global Foundaries off the beaten path, it's 3 miles from an I87 Northway exit between Clifton Park and Saratoga. It's within 20-25 miles of the the northern suburbs of Albany.

Off the beaten path as far as public transportation is concerned. As far as I know, CDTA doesn't operate anything similar to it's Northway Express to downtown Albany. It's great if you drive, but I know they are having a hard time filling their non-technical jobs where some of those people might not have cars.

You can compare the Shen shool district in Clifton Park to the West Genessee school district. Both are very large districts, but a similar house in Clifton Park will probably pay at least $2000 less in school taxes. But you have to remember that the house in Clifton Park might cost $150,000 more than somewhere in the western suburbs. If you go up to Saratoga, add another $150 000 or more on top of that.

Of course, but there is a huge difference between 30,000, 40,000 and 50,000. Which one is it. All I asked was there a breakdown on how they arrived at 40,000 support jobs, as I don't see that in Malta.
The CEO was saying the first fab would require 3,000 workers and create up to 15,000 supporting jobs. Quite in line with Global Foundries. That is huge on its own. What takes this to the next level are the expectation of 3 additional fabs over time. Unless a global recession goes on for a decade, it's supposedly just a matter of time for the chip demand to continue to increase.

The CEO was saying the first fab would require 3,000 workers and create up to 15,000 supporting jobs. Quite in line with Global Foundries. That is huge on its own. What takes this to the next level are the expectation of 3 additional fabs over time. Unless a global recession goes on for a decade, it's supposedly just a matter of time for the chip demand to continue to increase.
Because no one can eat just one?

Some jobs yes...at Micron can be for general skills.

The technology jobs however will be a boon for STEM folks fresh out of college and mid-career. I see local companies like Anaren, Sensis, Lockheed Martin, etc...going to see some job hopping. However, as more STEM folks arrive it will be good for all companies.

Yeah, the CEO mentioned just that yesterday (not so much the poaching aspect, just that in addition to schools/culture/quality of life/water that Micron was attracted to the area because its numerous defense contractors represented an existing skilled labor pool.

Yeah, the CEO mentioned just that yesterday (not so much the poaching aspect, just that in addition to schools/culture/quality of life/water that Micron was attracted to the area because its numerous defense contractors represented an existing skilled labor pool.
The big attraction of the Austin Tx area was (is) Austin was the location of the chip research center. I don't know the actual name of it, but every 20 years or so the chip companies join together to do joint research on the next generation of chip development.
Gov. Pataki along with the chairman of IBM selected Suny at Albany. The result being Global Foundries. The Universities in Upstate New York (Suny Albany, Utica, SU, Cornell, U of R, and Ub) need to band together To make upstate a force in tech.

The big attraction of the Austin Tx area was (is) Austin was the location of the chip research center. I don't know the actual name of it, but every 20 years or so the chip companies join together to do joint research on the next generation of chip development.
Gov. Pataki along with the chairman of IBM selected Suny at Albany. The result being Global Foundries. The Universities in Upstate New York (Suny Albany, Utica, SU, Cornell, U of R, and Ub) need to band together To make upstate a force in tech.
I think we are headed that way. The powers that be are pushing for another foundry in Marcy and additional investment between Rochester and Buffalo. Global Foundries approved expanding in Saratoga County this summer and IBM is expanding in Poughkeepsie. This is the best the future has looked upstate in quite some time.

I think we are headed that way. The powers that be are pushing for another foundry in Marcy and additional investment between Rochester and Buffalo. Global Foundries approved expanding in Saratoga County this summer and IBM is expanding in Poughkeepsie. This is the best the future has looked upstate in quite some time.
Great to hear.

Need some diversification to go along with it so we don't get gutted again in the hopefully long term future

Micron plans to help out with employee transportation to the site. That isn't as formidable or expensive as some might think.

I hope Micron partners with OCC like Amazon has to give warehouse and support workers a chance at an affordable/free education. OCC and other two years have taken a big hit since covid.

Any dip will be temporary. Chips are being added to new areas daily.
Door locks
Lighting
Ect..
All appliances
You name it , it will have a chip.
I’m also curious if the type of chip matters, I don’t think global foundries and micron make the same type of semiconductor, however I could be wrong and I’m not an engineer. Considering the time it takes to build a chip plant they need to budget out their production capabilities 20+ years to meet the growing demand. The capacity being built in Syracuse is for 5-10+ down the line and not for the next 3 years obviously