Micron - Let’s try this again | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Micron - Let’s try this again

DCA but I generally agree I would wait a few months

Certain things obviously my post doesn’t apply to but in a broad, general sense. You’d be crazy to buy into anything right now in general.

Rule of thumb….. wait for true confirmation. A few good days or a week isn’t confirmation of the general trend changing in this new market. Way too volatile.

Everything is cyclical. It’s not a surprise there are layoffs, it was bound to happen at some point. The rate of growth in this sector, this was easy to forecast.

The micron layoffs are also not as bad as the heading implies. It’s only 10% which as demand drops, that % originally hired was probably already forecasted to be largely short term to keep up with previous increase in demand. They are also not mass layoffs; voluntary and attrition is expected to make up a large % of the layoffs. So it’s not even 10% in layoffs. It’s merely not refilling most positions.
Here is a good article published today that discusses some of the issues Micron is facing but doesn't mention the need for any additional future layoffs.

Here is a good article published today that discusses some of the issues Micron is facing but doesn't mention the need for any additional future layoffs.

As one who started as an engineer for ibm chip division i have seen the highs and lows. Late 1990’s into early 2000’s it was a booming business then the drop happened. IBM got out of manufacturing of chips, selling the business. Chip business is cyclical. With the downturn starting it would not surprise me if Micron slows down the construction schedule.

McMahon hopefully will make sure the developers build high quality housing. Frankly some of the stuff built in the northern suburbs is cheap crap.
It is and overpriced. Northern suburbs isn’t my cup of tea but this will
Impact all of Onondaga county and southern Oswego county.

McMahon hopefully will make sure the developers build high quality housing. Frankly some of the stuff built in the northern suburbs is cheap crap.
Depends on the builder. Luckily Ryan Homes is hopefully out of the Syracuse Area for good...

Right now Heritage(Dan Bargabos) is building in the Baldwinsville area in two locations. The problem is the starting price for anything 2000 square feet is about 500K right now. Going to need someone to build townhouses to keep things somewhat affordable.

Depends on the builder. Luckily Ryan Homes is hopefully out of the Syracuse Area for good...

Right now Heritage(Dan Bargabos) is building in the Baldwinsville area in two locations. The problem is the starting price for anything 2000 square feet is about 500K right now. Going to need someone to build townhouses to keep things somewhat affordable.
The cost of new construction vs older homes is way out of whack now. Always has been a gap but it has reached absurd levels.

Ryan is gone for good. They sold their last remaining development site (Rolling Meadows in Camillus) to Cornerstone Homes. Cornerstone essentially took over for Ryan in this area as the “volume builder”. They do an excellent job though - way above Ryan quality for sure. They built our home up on Onondaga Hill a few years ago.

Heritage is probably the best higher end builder in the area right now - they’re still building in our area too. But as you mention, they’re pricey.

Ryan is gone for good. They sold their last remaining development site (Rolling Meadows in Camillus) to Cornerstone Homes. Cornerstone essentially took over for Ryan in this area as the “volume builder”. They do an excellent job though - way above Ryan quality for sure. They built our home up on Onondaga Hill a few years ago.

Heritage is probably the best higher end builder in the area right now - they’re still building in our area too. But as you mention, they’re pricey.
Heritage built my house for about 150k less than what they are charging now in 2020.

The Baldwinsville/Lysander area is extremely expensive right now. You can't find a move in ready 2000 square foot 3-4 bedroom house for anything less than 450 even with the rise in interest rates.

As one who started as an engineer for ibm chip division i have seen the highs and lows. Late 1990’s into early 2000’s it was a booming business then the drop happened. IBM got out of manufacturing of chips, selling the business. Chip business is cyclical. With the downturn starting it would not surprise me if Micron slows down the construction schedule.
The political decision was made to increase American chip production for national security reasons. According to "60 Minutes" the overwhelming majority of chips are imported from China and Taiwan. If things go south in that part of the world, we would be in trouble importing chips. I think Micron is looking at the big picture.

The political decision was made to increase American chip production for national security reasons. According to "60 Minutes" the overwhelming majority of chips are imported from China and Taiwan. If things go south in that part of the world, we would be in trouble importing chips. I think Micron is looking at the big picture.
Most of our customers are asking for us to use fewer Chinese parts, and we are.
Many companies are shifting to parts from other Asian countries and some from Eastern Europe.
We added our own plant next to an existing company office in Germany.

We're merging with a US company this year, we'll see how things go in the future.

Heritage built my house for about 150k less than what they are charging now in 2020.

The Baldwinsville/Lysander area is extremely expensive right now. You can't find a move in ready 2000 square foot 3-4 bedroom house for anything less than 450 even with the rise in interest rates.
Yep it’s not just Lysander it’s like that everywhere - I’ve seen 2000 sq ft listed north of 700k. Like I said completely absurd.

For what it's worth, NVR, Inc. (Ryan Homes) stock price currently is at $4610 per share.

Ryan builds a lot down in the DMV. Lots of 3 story townhomes, etc...

I can actually see quite a few townhomes being built in CNY...great starter homes for mobile techie types.

I'm aware. That's their 'wheel house' area. ;) My wife was an executive there for years.

From CNBC…….Micron surged more than 7% in midday trading. On Wednesday, Daiwa Capital Markets reiterated its buy rating and $65 price target, which implies 29% upside from Tuesday's close. The firm thinks earnings will likely recover in the fiscal 2023 fourth quarter on demand recovery.

Ryan homes are absolute garbage, iv worked on a lot of them.
I just wrapped up a project with them 5 years after a local housing development they built was completed. It took 5 years of threats and holding securities to get NVR/Ryan to fix all of the road, drainage and homeowners association problems they caused.