Micron - Let’s try this again | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Micron - Let’s try this again

There had been talk at one point of a big infrastructure project to bring a major water line down from Lake Ontario to supplement Syracuse (and CNY's) water supply. This would make a good portion of the local water infrastructure essentially drought-proof. Seems like a good excuse to push the project and get it done.

Funny they don't seem to have that problem in Western and Northern Europe.

EU's GDP from 2008-2021 grew 5.4%. USA in the same time grew 57.9%.

While GDP is a really flawed metric for measuring the health of an economy, its the one we typically use. And in this case, it wouldn't matter what metric we used - Europe is in a death spiral - as bad as things are getting in the US, we're in great shape economically compared to the EU countries.

I'd think really long and hard about touting how much better any European nation is doing at anything than the US, since what they are actually doing much better than the US is dying. They may not have a current issue providing child care - but they have a hellova problem with making sure the country will be one that child will want to live in when he or she grows up.

There had been talk at one point of a big infrastructure project to bring a major water line down from Lake Ontario to supplement Syracuse (and CNY's) water supply. This would make a good portion of the local water infrastructure essentially drought-proof. Seems like a good excuse to push the project and get it done.
Redundancy is a good thing for water, oil, electricity, etc...

Redundancy is a good thing for water, oil, electricity, etc...
The changes in estimated water and power needed are kind of shocking given nothing has changed since they were originally supplied. I wonder if Micron intentionally gave low ball numbers to help get the project approved?

On the positive side, it sounds like they are serious about building all 4 buildings and going in on this full force.

Maybe because no other location in the US can handle their enormous requirements?

The changes in estimated water and power needed are kind of shocking given nothing has changed since they were originally supplied. I wonder if Micron intentionally gave low ball numbers to help get the project approved?

On the positive side, it sounds like they are serious about building all 4 buildings and going in on this full force.

Maybe because no other location in the US can handle their enormous requirements?
Of course the market will determine if more than 2 plants get built.

I really think they need to build texas style access roads parallel to I-81 as a minimum between South Bay Rd and Mud Mill Rd. You build in U turns under the bridges at the overpasses. So if you are heading south on the access road from Mud Mill Rd you can do a continuous U turn on the north side of Rt 31 if say you wanted to stop at the Pepsi Bottling Plant. No double left turns! It would really help the congestion on Rt 31.

Finally from Mud Mill Rd a giant flyover to the west running a limited access parkway past the north side of Micron and continue west to 481. In the Phoenix area I'd run another limited access road over to Wolcott and Rt 104 as an another way to get to Webster and Rochester.

1*-1OVt2mVzp9OmhdzKcHPmg.jpeg

Last edited:
Right. Route 81 access will have to be drastically expanded north if the facility and link closer to Brewerton. There is no way the 81/31 intersection can handle the traffic.

I'd think really long and hard about touting how much better any European nation is doing at anything than the US, since what they are actually doing much better than the US is dying. They may not have a current issue providing child care - but they have a hellova problem with making sure the country will be one that child will want to live in when he or she grows up.

Well, except nearly all of the actual quality of life issues, like salary, benefits, government paid healthcare, more vacation, people not going bankrupt for health reasons, life expectancy, child health, obesity, and happiness. And I didn't even mention gun violence!

But sure, we make more money, in terms of macro-economics. Too bad we treat 90% of the labor force like serfs, and owners have kept all the increases in productivity for the last 30 years, not sharing any of it with labor.

While GDP is a really flawed metric for measuring the health of an economy, its the one we typically use. And in this case, it wouldn't matter what metric we used - Europe is in a death spiral - as bad as things are getting in the US, we're in great shape economically compared to the EU countries.

If we don’t start popping out kids or solve our immigration problems quickly, we might be there in 10-15 years…

Didn't Norway just discover enough phosphorus to power the world for 50 years? Scandinavia doesn't seem to be living up to the Sick Man of Europe standard, but the rest of the continent is in decline.

We need more housing. Suburbanites and NIMBY's are throwing our future away by making it impossible for most people to buy homes and build wealth.
It would help if everything stopped centralizing so that everyone wasn't having to move closer to all the same large cities and compete for the same housing. There are plenty of houses in rural areas and smaller cities and towns, but they're collapsing as people abandon them to move to where the jobs are going.

It would help if everything stopped centralizing so that everyone wasn't having to move closer to all the same large cities and compete for the same housing. There are plenty of houses in rural areas and smaller cities and towns, but they're collapsing as people abandon them to move to where the jobs are going.
Shouldn't more people working remotely help that?

I thought that was changing with people working remotely, with a major housing issue being rich people buying them all and renting them out or Air BBing them?

Micron is trying to change that

In 5 years Syracuse will be cool among the under 40.

I thought that was changing with people working remotely, with a major housing issue being rich people buying them all and renting them out or Air BBing them?
I think it's multifaceted, but I believe the working from home thing is a bit overstated. Most people I know still have jobs that require a person to be present and I don't think that many people that have chosen to work from home left the burbs. The houses being bought up by big companies and turned into rentals certainly contributes.

With the centralization thing, I think about small cities like Fulton and Oswego having good employers like Nestle, Miller, Smurfit-Stone, etc. that were 20 miles outside of a larger city like Syracuse and supported small cities while allowing people to live in those smaller cities or nearby rural areas. The same thing has happened near where I live now in Knoxville. A Sea Ray boat plant closed down about a decade ago. More recently a paper mill closed down in a small town nearby in North Carolina. My wife said there was a Levis factory that closed down in the small town she grew up in.

I don't see how that helps with what I was talking about. It seems like they'll expand the Syracuse suburbs and draw job seekers closer to Syracuse from outlying areas. You'll certainly get some people that are comfortable commuting from nearby counties like they did for GE, Carrier, GM, and New Process Gear. I think the spreading out I was referencing would have required them to set up shop farther away from Syracuse in a smaller citiy like Auburn, Oneida, Fulton, etc. I'm not saying it would've made sense for them to do that, though.

I don't see how that helps with what I was talking about. It seems like they'll expand the Syracuse suburbs and draw job seekers closer to Syracuse from outlying areas. You'll certainly get some people that are comfortable commuting from nearby counties like they did for GE, Carrier, GM, and New Process Gear. I think the spreading out I was referencing would have required them to set up shop farther away from Syracuse in a smaller citiy like Auburn, Oneida, Fulton, etc. I'm not saying it would've made sense for them to do that, though.
Well Syracuse like most small towns has been treading water or worse for 50 years. Micron spinoff activities should help outlying cities too.

Well Syracuse like most small towns has been treading water or worse for 50 years. Micron spinoff activities should help outlying cities too.
Sure. I didn't mean to suggest it wouldn't and that wasn't really what I was talking about. I was talking about how things have for quite some time been moving away from small towns and small cities toward larger cities and creating competition for limited housing space. Our perspectives seem to be different. I don't consider Syracuse a small town. It's a city of 100,000 people with surrounding suburbs. When I say small town, I'm talking about actual towns without stop lights where people put houses on acreage like where I grew up and small cities of 10,000ish people. Those areas have been losing economic support for decades during this era of reurbanization, forcing people to move where the jobs are and compete for space. My comment wasn't specifically about Micron.

If more suburbs started allowing housing instead of worrying about the "character" of the community, more people would move there. People like being around other people and being close to amenities.

If more suburbs started allowing housing instead of worrying about the "character" of the community, more people would move there. People like being around other people and being close to amenities.
That's a bit of a generalization. Some people prefer urban areas where they can walk to everything, some like the burbs for being close to everything but having their own little piece of land, some like having space. I prefer rural living, but that's difficult where I live unless you're ok with longish commute times. Where I live, subdivisions are going up left and right. What's harder to find is a decent 2 acres or so of land with a modest house unless you have a six figure income.

Population growth for young people in downtown Syracuse has been growing rapidly for years.

Micron will accelerate that trend. Though hopefully some will settle in the town centers being built around the county as well.