Micron - Let’s try this again | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

Micron - Let’s try this again

It would help if everything stopped centralizing so that everyone wasn't having to move closer to all the same large cities and compete for the same housing. There are plenty of houses in rural areas and smaller cities and towns, but they're collapsing as people abandon them to move to where the jobs are going.
This isn't true everywhere. There is almost no affordable housing available in Vermont, for example.

This isn't true everywhere. There is almost no affordable housing available in Vermont, for example.
I'm not familiar with Vermont. I've always been under the impression it's a state full of rich people hitting the slopes every weekend. I'm sure it's a misconception similar to the way people think the whole state of NY is like NYC.

It'll be nice to see a central NY resurgence, thanks to technology moving to Syracuse and Utica.
Speaking of Syracuse and Utica...they really should combine into one larger Metropolitan Area with the census.

Speaking of Syracuse and Utica...they really should combine into one larger Metropolitan Area with the census.
It'd make the most sense

Add Oneida and Cayuga counties to the metro area

Then they'd have the thruway corridor pretty much covered metro wise

Buffalo (Western) / Rochester (Finger lakes) / Syracuse-Utica (Central) / Albany (Capital)

Are we inviting Utica because they’ll artificially increase the numbers? That’s like adding Rutgers to the B10.
Trying to think like some other metros like Dallas FT Worth are like 35 minutes apart

Syracuse Utica is like 50 minutes on thruway

Might be stretching it, I know

Edit - not sure why Binghamton and Elmira are separate Metro areas

Trying to think like some other metros like Dallas FT Worth are like 35 minutes apart

Are either of them even metro areas? They both have populations under 50,000.

Dallas/Fort Worth is just one seamlessly populated continuous area that is connected by suburbs (similar to Minneapolis/St Paul or Tampa/St. Pete). Syracuse and Utica aren't really like that. It's a lot of farmland between the two, so they're really two different small metros.

Screenshot 2023-08-06 190107.png

Screenshot 2023-08-06 190143.png

Dallas/Fort Worth is just one seamlessly populated continuous area that is connected by suburbs (similar to Minneapolis/St Paul or Tampa/St. Pete). Syracuse and Utica aren't really like that. It's a lot of farmland between the two, so they're really two different small metros.

View attachment 229946
View attachment 229947
Are you diminishing the bustling burbs of chittenango, canastota, Oneida, and Vernon?

Not to forget Bridgeport, kirkville, and Sylvan beach

Are you diminishing the bustling burbs of chittenango, canastota, Oneida, and Vernon?

Not to forget Bridgeport, kirkville, and Sylvan beach
Sorry, not exactly Irving and Arlington.

It won't be too much longer before the Turning Stone has a rotating population in the 10s of thousands if they keep expanding and building more hotels and event centers...

Stop allowing corporations to purchase single family homes with the intentions of flipping them for more money. This is far and away the main issue facing those of us looking to become first time homeowners, as a property that was purchased a year ago for 300k gets a fresh coat of paint and is back on the market at 550k. It's disgusting.

Stop allowing corporations to purchase single family homes with the intentions of flipping them for more money. This is far and away the main issue facing those of us looking to become first time homeowners, as a property that was purchased a year ago for 300k gets a fresh coat of paint and is back on the market at 550k. It's disgusting.
Agreed. I see Lemoyne College is doing the same thing locally.

That’s bad, but I think the bigger problem in the long term is landlord corporations buying houses for rental purposes, removing them from the market. It may not be so much of a problem in Syracuse, but I have seen some reports of it being a problem elsewhere.

Agreed. I see Lemoyne College is doing the same thing locally.

Eh, TBF they're purchasing it from someone who did what's being described above.

Same net effect on supply, arguably, but it's a defensive purchase to get the inventory away from a problem investor.

That’s bad, but I think the bigger problem in the long term is landlord corporations buying houses for rental purposes, removing them from the market. It may not be so much of a problem in Syracuse, but I have seen some reports of it being a problem elsewhere.
Yeah, and then the rents are jacked up higher than what anyone would pay for a mortgage.