Micron - Let’s try this again | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Micron - Let’s try this again

SU isn't going to compete with the nanotech research facilities in Albany... they are huge and have years under their belt...

I am Sure SU will build out some specialized nanotech tracks in the engineering college (and probably work with SUNY Nanotech in some capacities / create synergies in that regard) but I bet the SUNY Nanotech gets the bulk of the research labs and fabs. They already have the capability and experience and it was a big reason Micron chose upstate NY.
There’s a reason the announcement was at SU At the Veterans center. SU already has their own nanotechnology program through the engineering school and it will be expanded. There will be a big focus in hiring veterans. It will be completely separate from SUNY. RIT already has a bunch of people working for Micron as well.

Albany NanoTech Complex | SUNY Polytechnic InstituteThere’s a reason the announcement was at SU At the Veterans center. SU already has their own nanotechnology program through the engineering school and it will be expanded. There will be a big focus in hiring veterans. It will be completely separate from SUNY. RIT already has a bunch of people working for Micron as well.

If you say so... I'm just pointing out the byline in that linked story:

Micron Technology, one of the world’s largest computer chip manufacturers, has picked the Syracuse suburbs for a new $100 billion semiconductor factory that could create 50,000 jobs and likely cements Albany Nanotech as the choice for a new billion-dollar national chip research lab.
I am sure SU will be ramping up in various capacities in Nanotech, but they simply won't be competing at this research level:

a-nanotech.jpg

Either way, win-win for upstate and there is gonna be tons of money going around.

Last edited:
If you say so... I'm just pointing out the byline in that linked story:

Micron Technology, one of the world’s largest computer chip manufacturers, has picked the Syracuse suburbs for a new $100 billion semiconductor factory that could create 50,000 jobs and likely cements Albany Nanotech as the choice for a new billion-dollar national chip research lab.
I am sure SU wil be ramping up in various capacities in Nanotech, but they simply won't be competing at this level:
Nanotech and Semiconductor processing are entirely different.

Nanotech and Semiconductor processing are entirely different.

Semiconductors is a lot of what they do!

Right, I just spent a week in Vegas. Lack of water (and levels in lake mead) dominate the headlines
Which is why it is so odd that TSM and Intc have both announced new plants for the Phoenix area.

edit: Phoenix, AZ

Last edited:
From one of the articles.

“Onondaga County’s incentives include a $10 million investment with Syracuse University to establish a semiconductor research and development center, and $5 million to fund a skills development program for the chip industry at Onondaga Community College.”

Mentioned it in the other thread but the entire region is about to be transformed. Consider the Micron deal, the 81 project and the proposed Blueprint 15 investment in the neighborhoods adjacent to the southern business district. The latter two would have been nearly $3b in public investment alone- but the Micron deal is the game changer.

I am not an urban planner nor an expert in economic development but the potential spin off development from these is tantalizing in and of itself.

As said before- total game changer for CNY. As someone who chose to come back to Syracuse after college years ago and has seen some of the downs and false promises- incredibly exciting.

Based on my recollection of stories about JMA management, it seems like their inclusive (for lack of a better word) governance attitudes are congruent with those of Micron. Which is nice.

Which is why it is so odd that TSM and Intc have both announced new plants for the Phoenix area.
It’s just 10 miles from Clay

Obviously, there are positives for Micron to build a new plant near Syracuse, but there are also challenges. Without federal and state subsidies, the plant is not feasible economically by a large margin. That means other companies that don’t receive subsidies won’t build nearby facilities. And, Micron produces memory chips, the most commoditized chip manufactured. That means business volatility, low margins, and difficulty producing a positive return on capital.

For this investment to really drive long term economic growth, the high costs for businesses in the area needs to be reduced to attract new businesses.

Someone mentioned the BMW investment in South Carolina. Luring BMW was a huge win as other manufacturing companies became attracted to the low costs which drove economic growth.

Those resources help no doubt, especially the water. But brass tacks it almost always boils down to the financial incentives
I always felt we had a shot as long as our politicians could come close to matching incentives from other states. It’s hard to compete with land, cheap and plentiful power and water. Enough skilled labor was another concern.

As subsidies go, this is fine with me. Having chips made only in china and taiwan will cost us in other ways and at least the end product is useful unlike some other subsidies. It's not punishing incumbent local chip manufacturers the way a lot of these IDAs do (you have your business and they throw money at a competitor unfairly)

Maybe it's a good thing they went the less expensive route for the dome roof, how much money can the state pour into one town

As subsidies go, this is fine with me. Having chips made only in china and taiwan will cost us in other ways and at least the end product is useful unlike some other subsidies. It's not punishing incumbent local chip manufacturers the way a lot of these IDAs do (you have your business and they throw money at a competitor unfairly)

Maybe it's a good thing they went the less expensive route for the dome roof, how much money can the state pour into one town
For decades though upstate NY wasn’t the target for many of the state’s tax $ - having an Upstate born and educated governor seems to be starting to tip that long term imbalance.

Not like that fine mall on the lake.

lol ...ask Buffalo...and not sure the state helped with the dome roof reno. came from fundraising, school reserves and borrowing. I see they (the state) are helping with the new seating etc.

Last edited:
Obviously, there are positives for Micron to build a new plant near Syracuse, but there are also challenges. Without federal and state subsidies, the plant is not feasible economically by a large margin. That means other companies that don’t receive subsidies won’t build nearby facilities. And, Micron produces memory chips, the most commoditized chip manufactured. That means business volatility, low margins, and difficulty producing a positive return on capital.

For this investment to really drive long term economic growth, the high costs for businesses in the area needs to be reduced to attract new businesses.

Someone mentioned the BMW investment in South Carolina. Luring BMW was a huge win as other manufacturing companies became attracted to the low costs which drove economic growth.

Meh. There’s a rubicon businesses use to decide these things and it’s not just “high costs for businesses in the area” that they are weighing. You didn’t mention the trade offs - stable grid, good schools, etc.

Which is why they still need to try and land another whale, preferably on the south side, to foster further growth

There’s a reason the announcement was at SU At the Veterans center. SU already has their own nanotechnology program through the engineering school and it will be expanded. There will be a big focus in hiring veterans. It will be completely separate from SUNY. RIT already has a bunch of people working for Micron as well.
RIT has great Computer and Microelectronic Engineering programs. They have really grown those programs since I graduated back in the 90s. I have a friend who graduated with me with a Computer Engineering degree, he is an exec now at Intel.