Micron - Let’s try this again | Page 31 | Syracusefan.com

Micron - Let’s try this again

Something like that has been built up in Malta, down the road from Global Foundries. While it is a nice mixed use development, the term "colossus" does not come to mind.

In the end with respect to the impact of Global Foundries, it appears that the places that benefited the most were the places that were already the nicest.

I just want interest rates to come down ja bit so I can sell my house at the top of the market in clay due to Micron. :)
Don't worry you'll find someone coming in from Boise or Silicon Valley who thinks $600K is a steal even at 6%.

Something like that has been built up in Malta, down the road from Global Foundries. While it is a nice mixed use development, the term "colossus" does not come to mind.

In the end with respect to the impact of Global Foundries, it appears that the places that benefited the most were the places that were already the nicest.
Funny thing, Richard Russo, one of my favorite authors wrote a book that became a top Paul Newman movie - "Nobody's Fool" (1994). Russo wrote a lot of books about the Gloversville area and the location of this book was Balston Spa, the second class location to Saratoga Springs. I found it ironic when Global Foundries was built, it made Balston Spa more prosperous than Saratoga.

Funny thing, Richard Russo, one of my favorite authors wrote a book that became a top Paul Newman movie - "Nobody's Fool" (1994). Russo wrote a lot of books about the Gloversville area and the location of this book was Balston Spa, the second class location to Saratoga Springs. I found it ironic when Global Foundries was built, it made Balston Spa more prosperous than Saratoga.
I thought the towns were North Bath and Schuyler Springs.

not sure what this means. Global Foundries is in Malta and so Malta and adjacent areas benefitted the most. That includes Ballston Spa, Saratoga Springs and Clifton Park. Did you expect that e.g. Troy would have benefitted more?

Ballston Spa is not more prosperous than Saratoga. Not even close.

Ballston Spa is not more prosperous than Saratoga. Not even close.
I drive though Ballston Spa 2 to 3 times per month on my way to Saratoga Springs and my one take away is that Ballston Spa has a ton of potential.

I drive though Ballston Spa 2 to 3 times per month on my way to Saratoga Springs and my one take away is that Ballston Spa has a ton of potential.
For sure. Great town and right now is the beneficiary of Saratoga prices and crowds. I prefer going out to dinner or grabbing a drink in Ballston Spa over dealing with the prices, parking and crowds in Saratoga.

Last edited:
Russo's Grill in Amsterdam was the basis for his first novel Mohawk (or so I'm told)

RUSSOS.jpg

For sure. Great town and right now is the beneficiary of Saratoga prices and crowds. I prefer going out to dinner or grabbing a drink in Ballston Spa over dealing with the prices, parking and crowds in Saratoga.
I need to get to Henry's and the Speckled Pig more often.

Have there been crowds in Sar? I go every year for 3-4 days and everything is pretty quiet. Maybe it gets busier in August than the first 2 weeks of track season in July? Even Lake George is pretty easy to get around compared to 10-20 yrs ago.

Have there been crowds in Sar? I go every year for 3-4 days and everything is pretty quiet. Maybe it gets busier in August than the first 2 weeks of track season in July? Even Lake George is pretty easy to get around compared to 10-20 yrs ago.
The first two weeks are a dress rehearsal basically until the Jim Dandy the last Saturday in July. But Saratoga, Lake George and the Adirondacks are all doing great.

Yes, I see big crowds on weekends downtown or at the lake. .

It's come a long way. I really like the Village and Augie's, among other places, is one of my favorites.

not sure what this means. Global Foundries is in Malta and so Malta and adjacent areas benefitted the most. That includes Ballston Spa, Saratoga Springs and Clifton Park. Did you expect that e.g. Troy would have benefitted more?

I didn't have an expectation one way or the other. I think when the project was touted, the talk was it could really help the dying little Hudson River communities like Stillwater, Schuylerville, and Mechanicville, and that Troy and Albany would benefit as well.

My point in posting was just to add the perspective that this may not be the wellspring for the CNY communities that are really in a bad way already, including the City of Syracuse. My guess is that the Baldwinsville, F-M, and J-D school districts will see quite a few families come in though.

It's come a long way. I really like the Village and Augie's, among other places, is one of my favorites.

I didn't have an expectation one way or the other. I think when the project was touted, the talk was it could really help the dying little Hudson River communities like Stillwater, Schuylerville, and Mechanicville, and that Troy and Albany would benefit as well.

My point in posting was just to add the perspective that this may not be the wellspring for the CNY communities that are really in a bad way already, including the City of Syracuse. My guess is that the Baldwinsville, F-M, and J-D school districts will see quite a few families come in though.
Auggies is great. Good move on their part to move off Rt 50 and into the village. And I like the Whistling Tea Kettle as well. Funny you should mention the communities along Rt 4. A few weeks ago I was in Greenwich and crossed the river at Schuylerville and drove south down Rt 4. I was struck by how little those communities had changed in the 50 years since I was a kid. My grandparents lived in Mechanicville and I spent a lot of time there growing up. It was almost like entering a time warp, except each town now has a Chinese restaurant.

Auggies is great. Good move on their part to move off Rt 50 and into the village. And I like the Whistling Tea Kettle as well. Funny you should mention the communities along Rt 4. A few weeks ago I was in Greenwich and crossed the river at Schuylerville and drove south down Rt 4. I was struck by how little those communities had changed in the 50 years since I was a kid. My grandparents lived in Mechanicville and I spent a lot of time there growing up. It was almost like entering a time warp, except each town now has a Chinese restaurant.
Schuylerville is a neat little town. We particularly like the Basin Grill and the Mexican restaurant is good as well.

Schuylerville is a neat little town. We particularly like the Basin Grill and the Mexican restaurant is good as well.
For Mexican, B-Spa has Taqueria Guadalajara and Mi Casa (formerly Leon's) . Both very good.

Lake George on a weekend or even Thursday through most of Sunday looks like NYC, area is packed. Still a great time but its' definitely not hurting for tourists.