Mike and Mike on Big East | Syracusefan.com

Mike and Mike on Big East

MartyCuse

Starter
The are teeing off on the Big East. Apparently the BE is thinking of tweaking its name.

Golic said they should change the conference name to not going to be a BCS conference anymore.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Without WVU, the Big Least shouldn't be allowed to keep its BCS affiliation.

After Pitt's showing in the past two games, I'm sure there are some circles in the ACC that are asking "what in the hell were we thinking inviting these guys"...

After Pitt's showing in the past two games, I'm sure there are some circles in the ACC that are asking "what in the hell were we thinking inviting these guys"...

Nah, they can get it back quickly. They have the facilities, they are in a football rich area. The ACC is thinking long term, they'll help make Pitt more than Pitt will make the ACC.

Penn State's problems are going to get worse before they get better, the scholarship reductions will start kicking in. ACC has to use this opportunity to completely take over the northeast.

Good times are on the way.

IF the PSU situation impacts PSU severely -- and I have my doubts -- Pitt is in the best position to benefit.

The problem with changing the name to reflect new geographic diversity is that it will be short-lived. The BE is a holding area for the Western schools until they figure out what other BCS conference that they can land in (whether an existing one or a new on based on a radical re-alignment). The BE would do better to keep its well-known brand name and wait out the moves that will eventually lead to the BE returning to its roots as a b-ball conference. It's too late to save BE football. Rutgers, Cincy, UConn, Temple, Louisville, Boise State and San Diego State will not stay. They all have feelers out for their next destination.

Without WVU, the Big Least shouldn't be allowed to keep its BCS affiliation.

Only the instant gratification crowd. Pitt has facilities and a hot bed of high school talent. Pitt has had some bad stretches of football for sure but they'll get their ship righted.

What a disaster firing Wanny though. The whole karma thing is biting them in the ass now. Wanny and staff had NFL talent all over that roster and last night I was hard pressed to find any.

Hoping MPB moves over to the right DE position against them and takes on that tackle who couldn't get out of his stance before the Cincy DE was already by him.

Would the Big East really change its name?

The name is the only thing it has going for it at this point.

Change the name and it basically becomes CUSA II.

That's a terrible idea.

What a disaster firing Wanny though. The whole karma thing is biting them in the ass now. Wanny and staff had NFL talent all over that roster and last night I was hard pressed to find any.

Wanny is a little over a year removed from being HC. So shouldn't there still be plenty of talent left? Their D is just flat out awful.

Wanny is a little over a year removed from being HC. So shouldn't there still be plenty of talent left? Their D is just flat out awful.

Right, unless his recruiting was trailing off or there were mass defections (could be, don't remember) you would think there would be upper class talent on Pitt right now.

Wanny, and all the talent he recruited, couldn't get over the 5-2 hump in the Big East.

It's interesting to see so many people think Wanny shouldn't have been fired but Bill Stewart @ WVU should have been (even before all the crazy anti-Holgorson stuff he started up). When Wanny underachieved all those years, this board was all over how much he wasn't a good head coach. But you hire a wife beater, and then a guy who's going to jump in a year, then suddenly Wanny is a coach who never should have been fired!

It's the new Monday Morning QB.

I think Pitt is a perfect example of what happens when you change coaches faster than Liz Taylor used to change husbands. A lesson for SU? I believe so even if HCDM'S isn't ultimately the answer. (Which I believe he is.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right, unless his recruiting was trailing off or there were mass defections (could be, don't remember) you would think there would be upper class talent on Pitt right now.

Wanny, and all the talent he recruited, couldn't get over the 5-2 hump in the Big East.

It's interesting to see so many people think Wanny shouldn't have been fired but Bill Stewart @ WVU should have been (even before all the crazy anti-Holgorson stuff he started up). When Wanny underachieved all those years, this board was all over how much he wasn't a good head coach. But you hire a wife beater, and then a guy who's going to jump in a year, then suddenly Wanny is a coach who never should have been fired!

It's the new Monday Morning QB.

I think letting Wanny go was the right move ... each hire afterwards has backfired ... its bound to happen. The man could recruit but in game he just couldn't cut it.

I think letting Wanny go was the right move ... each hire afterwards has backfired ... its bound to happen. The man could recruit but in game he just couldn't cut it.
How many different OC's & HC's has Tino Sunseri had?

The are teeing off on the Big East. Apparently the BE is thinking of tweaking its name.

This goes here now.

SunBeastConf.jpg

How do you "tweak" Big East?

Bigger East?

Big East National?

I swear I should have been a consultant. The things people get paid to do.

I used to listen to M&M all the time, but their schtick got old and I came to the realization that if it's not NFL, they really have no remote idea on what they are talking about...

I don't think he was a good coach but he seemed to be a good recruiter. What was odd to me was the timing of his firing and not having a guy in mind to really replace him.

His first 3 seasons were unacceptable. They were 8-4 and BE co-champs (as was everyone else that year) before he arrived. His first three years he made zero bowls and had two losing records. He had a five game losing streak to end year 2 and not make a Bowl. His record against the craptacular BE was 9-12 those years. That WV win in year 3 likely saved his job. However he had good years in 2008 and 2009. Although he did have What Ls each year. Then in 2010 they had a disappointing season.

That's what seemed strange to me, the timing. Had it been after year 3, then I would understand. Had they brought in Leach or another name for 2011, I would understand. His firing seemed odd though especially since Wanny is an alumn. At that point the program seemed more like it needed a tweaking and not an overhaul. Yet they let him go and came up with an unproven guy?

How do you "tweak" Big East?

Bigger East?

Big East National?

I swear I should have been a consultant. The things people get paid to do.
"Larger than Average East"

I think Pitt is a perfect example of what happens when you change coaches faster than Liz Taylor used to change husbands. A lesson for SU? I believe so even if HCDM'S isn't ultimately the answer. (Which I believe he is.)

Um Wanny had a small level of success. If Marrone has some level of success than yes you can reference Pitt as a cautionary tale. However if Marrone keeps going 5-7 every year it would be silly to keep him just because GRob wasn't the answer. It would actually cause more harm to the program.

Would the Big East really change its name?

The name is the only thing it has going for it at this point.

Change the name and it basically becomes CUSA II.

That's a terrible idea.

The Big East Redux! Hey, they can dream.

How about... The BIG WEaST!

I don't think he was a good coach but he seemed to be a good recruiter. What was odd to me was the timing of his firing and not having a guy in mind to really replace him.

His first 3 seasons were unacceptable. They were 8-4 and BE co-champs (as was everyone else that year) before he arrived. His first three years he made zero bowls and had two losing records. He had a five game losing streak to end year 2 and not make a Bowl. His record against the craptacular BE was 9-12 those years. That WV win in year 3 likely saved his job. However he had good years in 2008 and 2009. Although he did have What Ls each year. Then in 2010 they had a disappointing season.

That's what seemed strange to me, the timing. Had it been after year 3, then I would understand. Had they brought in Leach or another name for 2011, I would understand. His firing seemed odd though especially since Wanny is an alumn. At that point the program seemed more like it needed a tweaking and not an overhaul. Yet they let him go and came up with an unproven guy?

I'm possibly mis-remembering, but was the initial intent to fire him, or did they want him to make some changes (the offense), and there was some refusal and ultimately firing? Thought I remembered that. They just wouldn't modernize on offense.

Did they have Haywood in mind when they replaced him? All I can remember was the stories after he was hired, but not how quickly he was named after Wanny was fired.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom