Minnesota / Post-season thoughts | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Minnesota / Post-season thoughts

Jones was a big help in the redzone so getting him back will be nice but they really need another all around decent WR. Whether that's a slot or outside guy doesn't matter bu they desperately need one.
Getting an Erv Phillips type will open everything up. I'd even take Sean Riley back if he had eligibility. Maybe Cohoon can be that guy should he develop and play well enough in practice to see the field.

Allen and Orande (assuming no portal) form a nice 1-2 punch next year. Really need another WR out of the portal and probably 2 TE's but there is something to work with.

I’d add a DB too and a maybe an OL

Don't forget we have added some oline transfers which will be big. Half of GS problems are from a porous oline.
The offensive line has been bad for seven years! What makes you think anyone they have recruited or will transfer or has transferred in will be any good?

477 yards to 213. We lose. I don’t know what to say. Minnesota is not an impressive team. Disappointing.
Agreed.. not impressive, but disciplined and capitalizes on opportunities.

I'm sorry, but did the game just end like that!!??

Ref was like: "Not only that, I'm taking 10 seconds off the clock, and the clock is going to keep running..FU Cuse!"

hahaha
Refs we're board and hungry... Also hourly vs salary... They ended the game asap

That is also true.

But we desperately need more speed at W
Lack of QB that can throw to a deep receiver didn’t help either
While I’m annoyed with the field condition as well, is there really much else they could do with the weather lately? Snow/freezing temps the past week only to thaw out right before the game.
Exactly. It’s a grass field in late December in the northeast. And it was the same field for both teams. Not really the issue

Our defense allowed nothing in the second half. They had the pick six and kickoff return. Kudos to the young defense. Rocky Long might bring some discipline to the defense. To be honest, we didn’t have nearly the unsportsmanlike penalties this year compared to past years. If the offensive line improves, the offense could be pretty good. Sleeper offensive players next year might be Brown the receiver and Daniels the rookie running back.

While I’m annoyed with the field condition as well, is there really much else they could do with the weather lately? Snow/freezing temps the past week only to thaw out right before the game.
It didn't snow down here in NYC. It was just cold. The field was tearing apart mere minutes into the game as if it rained all week.

GS was running for his life from the UM D line too many time, including one 3rd and long when they only rushed 3
Yep. Not to say GS doesn't have to continue to work on things (all players do) but people are saying he isn't going through his progressions and can't throw. Yeah no kidding because he is running for his life half the time. When you have less than a second before pocket collapses, the QB is not going to get through his reads. It's lazy criticism to blame GS for everything. On the interception, he had previously gone to Gadsden same route three times, the DC jumped the route. We should have run an out and up but hindsight is always 20/20.

Fitting way to end the year. Get a stop but get a unsportsmanlike penalty to ice game.
The #1 thing that needs to finally be addressed next year is the stupid false start, holding, illegal procedure, and unsportsmanlike penalties . Especially the offensive ones that cripple drives. No other team has as many as us.

Also, nice to see all FSU future draft picks didn’t opt out of there game. Culture

Could not agree more. I cannot imagine being 18-23 and NOT wanting to play a game I love on the .1% chance I suffer a serious injury. I always wanted to play (not football & only a HS Varsity level athlete), but I loved every second of it. Guys didn't opt out 10 years ago. How many guys NFL dreams were dashed due to injury? If anything, you get more exposure, 1 more chance for a game with your guys and go out on a high note. I coach 9 & 10 year old kids and what I wouldn't give to get out there and play again.

Do we lack a depth threat or do we lack a QB that can hit the deep pass on a regular basis? Allen has been open deep but GS hasn't been able to get him the ball?
Disagree. GS has been pretty accurate with the long ball all year. Not perfect but no one is but if he is getting 4 to 5 20 plus chunk plays that's actually pretty good. Our WR dropped a perfect long ball as well. I don't disagree that GS doesn't have things that can get better but I think people are conveniently forgetting a number of big plays he has made as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom