Miracle please | Syracusefan.com

Miracle please

kcsu

Living Legend
Its a shame we couldn't close out this one and the loss on the road the other night. At this point We have to split with FSU and Ville win the rest of the regular season games to have a prayer.

So many good efforts but not enough maturity and talent to get over the hump.

Next year is going to be extremely difficult if Hughes leaves. Buddy and Joe will be smarter for sure but without a Hughes type threat to play off they are going to be stifled.
Tonight is a look into the future and unless we can land a dynamic grad student at either the 3 or 5 position we simply wont have the firepower to be much better than middle of the pack. The miracle im asking for isnt just for a great finish.
Its for Hughes to return.

Its a shame we couldn't close out this one and the loss on the road the other night. At this point We have to split with FSU and Ville win the rest of the regular season games to have a prayer.

Next year is going to be extremely difficult if Hughes leaves. Buddy and Joe will be smarter for sure but without a Hughes type threat to play off they are going to be stifled.
Tonight is a look into the future and unless we can land a dynamic grad student at either the 3 or 5 position we simply wont have the firepower to be much better than middle of the pack. The miracle im asking for isnt just for a great finish.
Towns. We will be better next year.

That was a glimpse into our future. It doesn’t look pretty on either end, unfortunately. Joe played his guts out and we got strong performances from Marek/QG, but the complete lack of athleticism was the difference. N.C. State kind of stinks but their ability to have multiple outside scorers was such a stark difference.

That was a glimpse into our future. It doesn’t look pretty on either end, unfortunately. Joe played his guts out and we got strong performances from Marek/QG, but the complete lack of athleticism was the difference. N.C. State kind of stinks but their ability to have multiple outside scorers was such a stark difference.

To me, it was also a glimpse of our recent past the last 5 years. A middling, mediocre middle of the pack type ACC program. Until proven otherwise, it’s our new normal.

I think the future looks pretty good. We have young guys starting to get it. It may not be in time to save this season, but I think we are going to be much better next year.

It's pretty much over tonight was an elimination game.

Thanks Bri. We get the point.

Jan 4

Today was a must win.

We have nothing in our ooc resume. We had to win today.

Jan 28

We needed this game.

Our resume is awful can't even beat clemson.

Nit. Brutal loss to a bad team.

February 1

We need a miracle at this point. You can't lose the Clemson game in the shape we are in. Beating duke would make up for it.

After tonight can't see a path to.get in.

We are 13 and 9 with no quality wins.

How is this team getting in the tourney?

we had a chance this week. We lost to a bad Clemson team and lost out on getting a quality win. They made a nice run but it's over.

I really haven't said much at all about this teams tourney chances. This week killed any chance we had.

I didn't say going nowhere. NCAA tournament not going to happen this year guys.

Feb 2

It's probably not feasable but unless we do or do huge damage in the acct we won't make the tourney.

Feb 8

Seasons over folks.

Thanks Bri. We get the point.

Jan 4

Today was a must win.

We have nothing in our ooc resume. We had to win today.

Jan 28

We needed this game.

Our resume is awful can't even beat clemson.

Nit. Brutal loss to a bad team.

February 1

We need a miracle at this point. You can't lose the Clemson game in the shape we are in. Beating duke would make up for it.

After tonight can't see a path to.get in.

We are 13 and 9 with no quality wins.

How is this team getting in the tourney?

we had a chance this week. We lost to a bad Clemson team and lost out on getting a quality win. They made a nice run but it's over.

I really haven't said much at all about this teams tourney chances. This week killed any chance we had.

I didn't say going nowhere. NCAA tournament not going to happen this year guys.

Feb 2

It's probably not feasable but unless we do or do huge damage in the acct we won't make the tourney.

Feb 8

Seasons over folks.
In fairness, we needed this one badly.
Unless a miracle happens, it’s pretty much NIT at this point. Which honestly, for this team, isn’t a bad result.

To me, it was also a glimpse of our recent past the last 5 years. A middling, mediocre middle of the pack type ACC program. Until proven otherwise, it’s our new normal.

It's kind of strange, if this loss ends up being the turning point on why we don't make the tourney, two season's in a row will end (in a roundabout way) because we lost a player in a huge game....it was Hughes stepping up big last year to almost bail us out against Baylor, and this year, he's the one sitting down. :(

We need Hughes.

I think the future looks pretty good. We have young guys starting to get it. It may not be in time to save this season, but I think we are going to be much better next year.
We wont be. Jim is such a great coach he has been able to ride his one star ( Battle now Hughes) in a slow down ISO mode for the last few years. After Hughes departs the well is dry. Joe is a gammer and Buddy and the other guys have some skills but not enough to compete at this level. Until we land an Alfa we simply wont be able to hang with the upper tier teams. Sure we may upset a team or two but they will be big upsets. Expect 16 to 17 win seasons as the other teams are landing some real talent and we have Kadary and Woody coming in. Both nice players who won't do much until their Soph years.
Jim can only do so much. The misses on recruiting are coming to roost.

In fairness, we needed this one badly.
Unless a miracle happens, it’s pretty much NIT at this point. Which honestly, for this team, isn’t a bad result.
That narrative changes if we win one of the next two games. The bubble stinks out loud. Season is not over

We don’t have the athletes or the shooters to be any more than a middle of the pack ACC team next year. And our defense will never be good with JG/Buddy up top and no shot blocker. I have no idea how we’ll be any good next year losing a stud in Hughes. We needed a monster performance from JG3 tonight to stay in it, yet our D couldn’t stop anything against a pretty mediocre opponent. We just need better talent and it’s not there right now.

That narrative changes if we win one of the next two games. The bubble stinks out loud. Season is not over

This is true. UNC took Duke to OT, and however many other examples there are of underdogs doing well. I'm not sure how likely it is, but it certainly is possible. This team has shown themselves to be capable on the road as well.

As for posts about the future, things would look a lot brighter without all of the misses at center recruits. Having a guy down low who was a threat would also get our guards better looks, and there's the shot blocking element too. I guess we will be past the point of having Hop to blame for getting guys like Stewart?

It shouldn’t be qualified. An NIT is a bad result for Syracuse. It should never be viewed as acceptable. The players are giving 100% but this is all about recruiting failures compounded year over year.

It shouldn’t be qualified. An NIT is a bad result for Syracuse. It should never be viewed as acceptable. The players are giving 100% but this is all about recruiting failures compounded year over year.
haven't we gone to the NCAA most years of this decade?

Far from a given at this point. The staffs track record with closing on key recruits has been less than stellar.
maybe you didn't hear the news about Dior Johnson? And just to let you know in advance, Westry will commit later this month.

I agree with OP's assessment. Split with FSU and Lville and then win out

maybe you didn't hear the news about Dior Johnson? And just to let you know in advance, Westry will commit later this month.
I’m talking about next year. We might all be dead by 2022-2023.

haven't we gone to the NCAA most years of this decade?
Just squeaking into the field of 68 is what this program has become known for. The successful seasons you speak of will soon be slipping outside the 10-year window that you chose to go with.

Thats great. What about the next two years?

I'm with you on feeling like we're light on athleticism and have some questions for next year. I also think Hughes has been outstanding this year offensively. He's going to be really tough to replace.

But a few factors could potentially change the equation. I mean, Hughes is at best an intermittently interested defensive player and rebounder -- he's been instrumental in general this year but uneven defensively and often minimally effective on the glass.

An improved Guerrier and Edwards could help inside and a healthy braswell would help (if that's a possibility). JBA and Newton aren't likely to do much, IMO, but I guess there's a chance.

Girard should be better and bit more consistent as a shooter and it would seem Goodine has some potential. Not sure I expect a ton out of richmond but I guess we'll see.

At the end of the day I would imagine it would look more like last season or 18-19 but that could allow us to be solid and get into the tourney. Hard to say for sure.

Just squeaking into the field of 68 is what this program has become known for. The successful seasons you speak of will soon be slipping outside the 10-year window that you chose to go with.

OK. So you fire your 44-year head coach? I think the reality is there's always been a pretty good chance this was going to end ugly. And it certainly could. I'm not entirely sure what you do if you're wildhack though. And people say this stuff as if it's going to be easy to replace JB. We loved hop, I'm sure he'd do well but even he is struggling this year at UW. I get that it's been a bit ugly for a while but I'm not sure what the actual answer is.

Disaster was predicted when Louie and Bouie graduated. We find new heroes here.

I'm with you on feeling like we're light on athleticism and have some questions for next year. I also think Hughes has been outstanding this year offensively. He's going to be really tough to replace.

But a few factors could potentially change the equation. I mean, Hughes is at best an intermittently interested defensive player and rebounder -- he's been instrumental in general this year but uneven defensively and often minimally effective on the glass.

An improved Guerrier and Edwards could help inside and a healthy braswell would help (if that's a possibility). JBA and Newton aren't likely to do much, IMO, but I guess there's a chance.

Girard should be better and bit more consistent as a shooter and it would seem Goodine has some potential. Not sure I expect a ton out of richmond but I guess we'll see.

At the end of the day I would imagine it would look more like last season or 18-19 but that could allow us to be solid and get into the tourney. Hard to say for sure.
We will be worse next year unless we land a stud transfer.
Joe and Buddy are not going to miraculously become more athletic. The raw talent isnt there. Their skill is shooting. Natural shooters typically dont get much better as they have always been really good shooters. Its usually the physically gifted who might lack a good stroke who make the biggest jump as their game catches up with their natural athleticism. Guerrier Edwards Bras if healthy should all improve. I have no clue what the RS can do. Carey if he comes back adds a great amount of talent, same with Goodine. I actually thought we might see Carey and Goodine play significant roles this year. The Kadary kid is a scorer so that will help. Still we have a collection of nice players but we dont have that one go to guy and its going to be a huge challenge next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom