Miss Parkin and Rahme... | Syracusefan.com

Miss Parkin and Rahme...

BORZAK

2nd String
You would think Newhouse would have great coverage of the team or at least web coverage. We need three interns posting here!

Say what you will about the guy, but thank goodness for Brent Axe. At least that dude is bringin' knowledge...

Recruits looking for coverage find garbage. We have to be last in media coverage in the ACC.

Yes axe is d2 champ. We have to place lower in the big 5.

You people are getting unbelievably obnoxious with this.

Cohen- Newhouse grad (with a Parkins-like reputation and resume)
Carlson- Newhouse grad
McManus/Neikam on ESPN Radio- Newhouse grads

The industry is changing, for better or for worse.

You think Newhouse is this magical place where talent is churned out of a conveyor belt. It's not. I TA'ed Broadcast Journalism classes for two years- there's some talented kids there, but the are so many other factors going on. Commitments, generational attitude, role of new media, educational standards, etc. etc. etc. are all playing a role.

Parkins was a once-in-a-generation talent with the ego and the hunger to make it work.

Rahme was seasoned and smart, and probably hard to replace.

If you guys are this hard on a team of reporters making $23,000 a year for snippets that fill five minutes of your day, I don't envy Hopkins or whoever ends up finally taking over when Boeheim retires.

Hey mods- can we create a "Rip on Media" board? I'd like to read about Syracuse football without half of all posts being about Syracuse.com hate. Thanks.

Carlson- Newhouse grad

You think Newhouse is this magical place where talent is churned out of a conveyor belt. It's not. I TA'ed Broadcast Journalism classes for two years- there's some talented kids there, but the are so many other factors going on. Commitments, generational attitude, role of new media, educational standards, etc. etc. etc. are all playing a role.

Parkins was a once-in-a-generation talent with the ego and the hunger to make it work.

If you guys are this hard on a team of reporters making $23,000 a year for snippets that fill five minutes of your day, I don't envy Hopkins or whoever ends up finally taking over when Boeheim retires.

Hey mods- can we create a "Rip on Media" board? I'd like to read about Syracuse football without half of all posts being about Syracuse.com hate. Thanks.

CBS-24/7, ABC/ESPN, Fox/scout, yahoo/rivals.

I'm saying that everyone. SU school, athletic dept. athletic supporters we all need to do something to get more and better media out there to keep pace and improve all aspects of the programs.

Sorry to get your ire up. Looking to improve where we appear to be lacking.

Name the ACC SEC B1G PAC BIG 12 schools wIth as poor media presence.

Carlson- Newhouse grad

THANK YOU! Sick of reading about media bashing. Let's talk about the team!

Was I the only thought that Parkins wife may be having an affair with Rahme after reading the thread title?

Was I the only thought that Parkins wife may be having an affair with Rahme after reading the thread title?
1a505f2af0f7b18256863876ef78a330.jpeg

https://twitter.com/Parkinhater

Better and more coverage would bring better and more talk about the team. The poor or lack of quality substance gets us what you don't like.

its tough for these guys to give us any information with the whole 45 mins theyre allowed to watch of practice. factor in about 15-20 mins of that is stretching and warming up, and these reporters are trying to make stories out of about 25 minutes of practice. so i think theyre doing the best with what they have to work with

you get what you pay for- a intern at 20 grand aint going to do the job of a pro at 35 grand

Carlson- Newhouse grad

So making $23K a year entitles you to be obnoxious? I don't think anybody, at least reasonable people, expect rah, rah homerism, but how about some straight reporting instead of using it as either a creative writing course or a venue to build up your bona fides as an "objective" writer by injecting a negative slant/comments on a continuing basis to prove you aren't a local homer.

There is such a "hey look at me" aspect to the writing by all these guys.

My main problem with Cohen, other than the way he regularly contradicts himself and just in general acts like a snide jerk, is the fact that the way he writes EVERYTHING seems like he's trying to script a piece for Tom Rinaldi to narrate.

So making $23K a year entitles you to be obnoxious? I don't think anybody, at least reasonable people, expect rah, rah homerism, but how about some straight reporting instead of using it as either a creative writing course or a venue to build up your bona fides as an "objective" writer by injecting a negative slant/comments on a continuing basis to prove you aren't a local homer.

There is such a "hey look at me" aspect to the writing by all these guys.

I said it in my original post. The industry is changing. For better or for worse.

This is an experiment to pump up engagement and interactivity, which are big, big factors when it comes to ad dollars.

If you don't like it, fine. If enough people don't like it, it will change.

However, you complainers are ruining this board for the rest of us.

I don't care about all of your opinions on the new slate of writers. I'm here to read what ever is available about Syracuse football, how little or lot it may be, not what you all think of Cohen and Mink etc.

You left out some parts:
"Yukon fan, skilled at placing a negative spin on everything Orange."

I don't care about all of your opinions on the new slate of writers. I'm here to read what ever is available about Syracuse football, how little or lot it may be, not what you all think of Cohen and Mink etc.
This.

It seems like every thread these days devolves into a Syracuse.com bashfest. It's worse than realignment. A separate board for whining about media would be great for those of us who come here to actually talk about football.

I said it in my original post. The industry is changing. For better or for worse.

This is an experiment to pump up engagement and interactivity, which are big, big factors when it comes to ad dollars.

"Ruining this board"

That's over the top, isn't it?

The industry is changing, so what, it doesn't excuse piss poor execution of the basics. I know for a fact that the work product makes certain people who would know, and had invested a lot of time, energy, and effort in the job, sick, and I don't mean cuseguy.

The local press coverage of the team impacts the fan base, represented here, a great deal. It's a shared experience by those who care about the team. If it's a negative experience, it is most certaintly going to be a topic for discussion here. And because of that a perfectly valid topic for discussion, whether you like it or not.

"Ruining this board"

That's over the top, isn't it?

The industry is changing, so what, it doesn't excuse piss poor execution of the basics. I know for a fact that the work product makes certain people who would know, and had invested a lot of time, energy, and effort in the job, sick, and I don't mean cuseguy.

The local press coverage of the team impacts the fan base, represented here, a great deal. It's a shared experience by those who care about the team. If it's a negative experience, it is most certaintly going to be a topic for discussion here. And because of that a perfectly valid topic for discussion, whether you like it or not.

http://syracusefan.com/threads/the-official-syracuse-com-complaint-thread.55478/

There's my answer. To keep things organized.

This.

It seems like every thread these days devolves into a Syracuse.com bashfest. It's worse than realignment. A separate board for whining about media would be great for those of us who come here to actually talk about football.
Media coverage matters when it comes to both recruiting and fan support. do you think Dabo Swinney deals with this garbage? if you do i suggest you take a look at the publications that follow Clemson. heck even rutgers gets better coverage and the newspaper there is a newhouse media property just like syracuse.com.

The problem is not new media. The problem is that they are dealing with the challenge of new media by resorting to negative controversial opinion pieces...where research and content like video interviews and the like would produce much more interest and traction long-term. You'll note the same sort of garbage in the coverage of politics - why because it is controversial and can generate clicks.

People complain about it because it has a negative effect on SU football, like it or not it truly does - think about how big of a deal twitter is to recruits if you think silly commentary online doesn't have an impact. the only thing we can do is complain, hopefully they'll get the message before more damage is done.

when you have nothing constructive to say spew garbage- american reporting 101

reporting in general has gone to hell since the repeal of the laws that kept companies from owning markets- that led to big buying and the death of a truly free press-also fox spews type news

Look, it's about holding the people responsible, responsible. If the local coverage is where the local community is getting most of their info about Syracuse from (what else is there?) - it needs to be fair. Being young and not making a lot of money can be excuses for quality, but not for the negative taint in almost every article.

As many have said, it colors the perception of the team - which directly relates to coach retention, fan support and attendance, recruiting, player morale, etc.

I don't want Orange propaganda (you can get that at the official athletics site) - just fair and informed reporting. If Cohen and co. want to make more than $23,000 a year - they'll have to do better.

And I don't care about your opinion on what should or should not be discussed here. But I, unlike you, are not going to tell you what to post - I'll just ignore your post and move on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom