MLB offseason talk | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

MLB offseason talk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yu Darvish is Japanese for David Price.

Yankees not having him for the next 6 years is my favorite move of the offseason. More than Stanton.

I disagree. Small sample bias doesn't change the fact that the one thing that could upset the Yanks' being a perennial postseason factor for the next few years is a highly questionable starting rotation. Not saying that they should have signed Darvish, but I AM saying that the Yanks have a concern that the Cubs don't have.

I disagree. Small sample bias doesn't change the fact that the one thing that could upset the Yanks' being a perennial postseason factor for the next few years is a highly questionable starting rotation. Not saying that they should have signed Darvish, but I AM saying that the Yanks have a concern that the Cubs don't have.

I would agree. If the Yanks somehow win < 90 and fail to make the playoffs it will most likely turn out that starting pitching was the culprit. A lot of mileage on some of those arms.

Needing better starting pitching doesn’t equal overpaying $ or years for Yu Darvish.

People get caught up with names. He’s 31 and had one MLB season where he pitched 200 innings.

No thank you. Bad enough we have to suffer thru the backend years of Ellsbury.

Needing better starting pitching doesn’t equal overpaying $ or years for Yu Darvish.

People get caught up with names. He’s 31 and had one MLB season where he pitched 200 innings.

No thank you. Bad enough we have to suffer thru the backend years of Ellsbury.

I thought he made it clear he wasn't saying the NYY should sign Darvish.

Btw re your Price comment above I think it's a little premature to write Price off. No doubt it's unlikely he'll ever justify that salary - and I'm sure that's your main point - but I still think it's possible he has some highly productive years left in him. That said, it rarely ever pays to open the vault on these 7-8 year type deals. It looks like most MLB teams are finally figuring that out.

I thought he made it clear he wasn't saying the NYY should sign Darvish.

Then why did he start it with “I disagree”?

I had one simple point in my original post. I was happy the Yankees didn’t sign Darvish. How was that part not clear?

Then why did he start it with “I disagree”?

I had one simple point in my original post. I was happy the Yankees didn’t sign Darvish. How was that part not clear?

I guess he was trying to get across his own point that the NYY starters could be an issue but yeah you're right it doesn't obviate the point you made about Darvish. FWIW I agree with both of you. NYY starters could be an issue and yeah Darvish would have been a bad signing for that kind of dough.

Guys, clearly the plan is to get to July then see what they can add arm wise.

Cessna, Warren, Green and Adams are your April-July insurance plan.

Simple math proves this out, they’re trying to stay below the cap #, but adding a big $$ guy with only 2 months left for the year is the right call. 1 month if they can find a Verlander deal.

Now watch them sign an arm this week...

I guess he was trying to get across his own point that the NYY starters could be an issue but yeah you're right it doesn't obviate the point you made about Darvish. FWIW I agree with both of you. NYY starters could be an issue and yeah Darvish would have been a bad signing for that kind of dough.

And I do think Price will have a couple good seasons for the Sox. Perhaps this year and next. But years 6 and 7, I just think that's where teams box themselves in. Maybe he preserves thru it who knows. It's just not a bet I would make to go 6 or 7 years for these 31 year old starting pitchers.

(Unless they're former Detroit Tigers, like Scherzer and Verlander).

And I do think Price will have a couple good seasons for the Sox. Perhaps this year and next. But years 6 and 7, I just think that's where teams box themselves in. Maybe he preserves thru it who knows. It's just not a bet I would make to go 6 or 7 years for these 31 year old starting pitchers.

(Unless they're former Detroit Tigers, like Scherzer and Verlander).

Yeah I definitely agree with that.

Hosmer signs an 8 year deal with the Padres. Classic Boras client - signs for the most money with a perennially horrible team.

Guys, clearly the plan is to get to July then see what they can add arm wise.

Cessna, Warren, Green and Adams are your April-July insurance plan.

Simple math proves this out, they’re trying to stay below the cap #, but adding a big $$ guy with only 2 months left for the year is the right call. 1 month if they can find a Verlander deal.

Now watch them sign an arm this week...
I want to see what Adams has.

DWaemDFX0AACaPi.jpg

DWaemDKX4AQW9Vv.jpg
DWaemDDWAAEfHso.jpg

Red Sox signed JD Martinez to a five year deal where he can opt out after two years. Dollars not announced.

Red Sox signed JD Martinez to a five year deal where he can opt out after two years. Dollars not announced.
Money is front loaded.
Red Sox nation up in New England hates this team and ownership right now.
5 years 110 million opt out after year 2 25 million per year first 2 years.

Henry is killing interest in the team with his arrogance.

Money is front loaded.

How many years did the Red Sox go without a world series title before John Henry bought the team? Red Sox fans have got spoiled. He spends the money. 3 world series titles in 15 years? Back to back division titles. They have a loaded team. Henry doesn't pitch or catch.

How many years did the Red Sox go without a world series title before John Henry bought the team? Red Sox fans have got spoiled. He spends the money. 3 world series titles in 15 years? Back to back division titles. They have a loaded team. Henry doesn't pitch or catch.
Henry is out of touch.
He looks down on his fans.
This team isn’t likable. JD fits a need but the fanbase hates the team.

So what does everyone think about the pace of play rule changes? I think it's a step in the right direction, particularly the mound visits and the shorter commercial breaks.

So what does everyone think about the pace of play rule changes? I think it's a step in the right direction, particularly the mound visits and the shorter commercial breaks.
These are baby steps that might shorten games by 10 minutes.

These are baby steps that might shorten games by 10 minutes.

You're right but at least they are trying to address it. Seems like their hands were a little tied at this point with what the union would agree to.

Money is front loaded.

this member of RSN is pretty excited about this. It's a great deal for the team that allows for us to use him for 2 years, and then a whole bunch of money frees up in time to resign Mookie, etc...

Henry is out of touch.
He looks down on his fans.
This team isn’t likable. JD fits a need but the fanbase hates the team.

There are a couple guys who have overstayed their welcome, but why do you continue with this 'the team isn't likable'? I love the young guys on this squad.

There are a couple guys who have overstayed their welcome, but why do you continue with this 'the team isn't likable'? I love the young guys on this squad.
John Henry, Linda Puzitti, Tom Werner, Sam Kennedy insulting fans.

David Price being a miserable player who is infecting the clubhouse. Andrew Bientiendi listens to Price.

Dustin Pedroia being a rat last year when Matt Barnes had his back.

The team being stupid and taking their franchise player to arbitration over 3 million dollars.

The Red Sox organization is utterly hateable.

John Henry, Linda Puzitti, Tom Werner, Sam Kennedy insulting fans.

David Price being a miserable player who is infecting the clubhouse. Andrew Bientiendi listens to Price.

Dustin Pedroia being a rat last year when Matt Barnes had his back.

The team being stupid and taking their franchise player to arbitration over 3 million dollars.

The Red Sox organization is utterly hateable.

I see someone really pee'd in your cornflakes this morning.

The Sox lost their arbitration. It's okay. Petey needs to go. He's got to retire soon. Price apologized.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom