Monumental opportunity at Pitt in 11 days | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Monumental opportunity at Pitt in 11 days

This thing about Pitt having our number is short sighted. Spoiler alert... the last 20 years we have been largely inconsistent and flat out bad at times. Many teams have owned us. Sure, Pitt has won most of the games against us since 2001. However, from 1984-2001, we were their daddy with a record of 16-1-1.

Let’s not overhype this. The program has choked on these types of stages in the last 20 years. As fans we can control the narrative, so let’s call this just another ACC game, and maybe this has a butterfly effect which leads us to winning.

Last edited:
In my opinion, next Thursday's game at Pitt is one of the top three most important SU football games this century. The other two are the 2018 and 2022 games at Clemson. We had Clemson on the ropes in the 4th quarter in both of those games, but we just couldn't close.

If we lose at Pitt, it's not the end of the world, but we're probably looking at a Pinstripe Bowl appearance, which quite frankly bores me to death after having been to all three of them. Playing at Yankee Stadium the first time was very cool. It's not cool anymore. It's freezing and the sight lines suck.

Honestly, if not this year, then when? The playoff has expanded. We have our best QB in a quarter century. We have our best tight end in 30 years. LQA is clutch out of his mind. We have playmakers. We should have our best defender back. We have a special teams unit that puts most Pop Warner teams to shame.

Pitt will be a very difficult team to beat. They're fundamentally sound and have had our number for two decades, but they aren't scary good by any means. Cal could have easily beat them with a chip shot field goal. After that we play four games against solid but also beatable teams (VT, BC, Cal, UConn). If the stars align, we are looking at the biggest game inside the friendly confines since the 1992 Miami game, and a possible Gameday location if Miami is undefeated.

It's certainly possible that this all falls apart and we finish with 4 or 5 losses, but I don't know. I just have this sneaking suspicion that something special is brewing. It's mid-October and we control our own destiny. In my lifetime, those are words that we have been able to utter very rarely.
I really like Holstein. I'm expecting their run game to give us some trouble.

My buddy and I just pulled the trigger on this yesterday. Going down Thursday and coming back Friday. Hotels are surprisingly affordable and like others have said tickets are cheap. Let's pack Heinz Field with a sea of orange.
My fraternity brothers and I had a reunion at the Pitt game two years ago. We lost rather handily but still had fun. It’s a great football venue. We stayed at the Marriott and walked across the bridge. Pittsburgh is a great city.

68937811377__C83C9D10-E9B5-4A34-950A-861228CDD6EF.jpeg

So basically we have a very real chance to beat 3 ranked teams within the first 7 games. And we have a coach that has never been a head coach ever, at any level about to possibly do that.

Well I’m intrigued

While also, should we beat Pitt, causing all of them to be no longer ranked lol

While also, should we beat Pitt, causing all of them to be no longer ranked lol

Well - duh!

If you lose to Cuse, you can’t possibly be a good enough team to be ranked anymore. ;)

Football RINO’s:
Ranked
In
Name
Only. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online