More about salary than facilities... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

More about salary than facilities...

Yeah, but let's not pretend like he can't parlay being an NFL head coach into a really nice followup gig, whatever it is.

True.

I'm just thinking that aiming to be the head coach of a mediocre NFL team isn't exactly sound fiscal policy. Building lifelong wealth probably would have been easiest at SU.

True.

I'm just thinking that aiming to be the head coach of a mediocre NFL team isn't exactly sound fiscal policy. Building lifelong wealth probably would have been easiest at SU.

Fair point. I just think there are a ton of unknowns as we debate these things. And my guess is that DM is confident he can be a Payton-esque type NFL coach. Will that happen? Who knows, but my guess is that's at least what he *thinks* he's capable of. I feel like he may also have been looking at it as potentially his only opportunity to test his mettle at the next level. If it works, awesome. If not he went for it and it didn't work out. Take the next step from there -- NFL coordinator, college coach, something outside of football.

Maybe he'll be run out of the league in a few years and in a deep state of depression when one of his assistants will say, "what were you doing? You should have stayed at Syracuse!" And he'll grab him by the collar of his shirt and scream "I HAD A SHOT AND I TOOK IT!" It'll be just like the scene from top gun. Then he can throw his NFL coaching credentials into the river and return home to Syracuse. I'm going to start working on this script now.

Fair point. I just think there are a ton of unknowns as we debate these things. And my guess is that DM is confident he can be a Payton-esque type NFL coach. Will that happen? Who knows, but my guess is that's at least what he *thinks* he's capable of. I feel like he may also have been looking at it as potentially his only opportunity to test his mettle at the next level. If it works, awesome. If not he went for it and it didn't work out. Take the next step from there -- NFL coordinator, college coach, something outside of football.

Maybe he'll be run out of the league in a few years and in a deep state of depression when one of his assistants will say, "what were you doing? You should have stayed at Syracuse!" And he'll grab him by the collar of his shirt and scream "I HAD A SHOT AND I TOOK IT!" It'll be just like the scene from top gun. Then he can throw his NFL coaching credentials into the river and return home to Syracuse. I'm going to start working on this script now.

Yeah, not a fan of the "what-if" game. But Marrone seems to be eager to take on a new challenge. Can't fault him for that aspect of it.

If he wants a bigger payday fine. But don't give us the nonsense of I have to take care of my family stuff as though it's tough to get by making $1.25 mil a year. Please.
The family comment reminds me of Marvin Barnes and Latrell Sprewell who in their own unique ways said pretty much the same thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom