More Buddy at Forward Please | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

More Buddy at Forward Please

Exactly...No one seems to wonder why all the fouls are on the bigs and almost NONE of the fouls are on the guards.

It is hard to foul when you are getting blown by...
One time tonight, Buddy had the chance to get the foul but pulled back, resulting in Sid getting his fourth. Had to protect his big man once in awhile

I’ve said before that NEXT season if Hughes leaves, I can see Buddy playing some 3 with Goodine and Girard up top. We’ve had plenty of natural 2’s play some 3.
Buddy is a pretty strong kid with a big frame and great basketball IQ. I think he can play some 3. I see him as being excellent at getting position and boxing out. Its not something i hope we have to do but he can be serviceable there.

One time tonight, Buddy had the chance to get the foul but pulled back, resulting in Sid getting his fourth. Had to protect his big man once in awhile
At around the the 4min a bounce went pass Joe at the high post when Joe was guarding the high post. That pass should be stolen 100% of the time...I simple couldn't believe he didn't steal that pass...

JB has to quit leaving guys in with 2 fouls in the first half. Our guys are not smart enough to avoid stupid fouls when they are already in foul trouble. QG 5th foul was mind boggling.
Dumb as hell, and great acting by the wake player. Replay showed Q nicked his arm but he acted like q took his left eye out and stuffed it into the right socket.

JB has to quit leaving guys in with 2 fouls in the first half. Our guys are not smart enough to avoid stupid fouls when they are already in foul trouble. QG 5th foul was mind boggling.
Agree 1000%. I have never understood this. Edwards should have been in with 4 minutes left in the half.

I know, the announcers always mention how JB has great trust in them...I feel like they do everything possible to break that trust.

They do commit some amazingly silly fouls at times.

Brycen won us the game tonight through his defensive play. Wake went limp and timid up top with Goodine out there. Jesse did some good things too. Wish Brycen could have sealed it by canning that corner 3 but the layup adds more drama.
When Brycen was out there, I was reminded of the football cliche: He was flying to the ball.

I was also reminded of the 6 OT game where what's-his-name, the walk - on, came in and was doing jumping Jack's in the zone while the other nine players could barely move.

Brycen had a whole different level of energy.

Brycen won us the game tonight through his defensive play. Wake went limp and timid up top with Goodine out there. Jesse did some good things too. Wish Brycen could have sealed it by canning that corner 3 but the layup adds more drama.

he made the buzzer beater but you’re right, he did some real nice things on defense. He anticipated a pass to the corner and got there to tip the pass out of bounds. He was weak side on the wing and went to the baseline anticipating a shot from the other side and was able to get the rebound. Regardless of what the ref called, he did a great job moving his feet and staying in front of his man who then used his arm to push off. That was great defense. He also doesn’t look frantic in the zone. He’s very smooth and seems to glide back and forth. He’s got long strides even side to side and has long arms. He may not be a Jason hart lock down defender type, but he can be an outstanding defender and seems to have gotten the zone concepts with little game time.

I found a couple of things about Buddy in the presser interesting. I didn't hear the question, but JB said that Buddy volunteered to play the forward spot. I'm not sure if I am supposed to find that interesting or not(someone tell me please), but I did.

Also when asked how much Buddy has practiced there, JB said something to the effect of very little(maybe after this, that will change at least a bit for these situations). He said he was impressed with how well he did at it. Hats off to Buddy again after hearing that from JB.

Defense already stinks. Quickness isn’t as big of an issue there and he’s stronger than people give him credit for.

Buddy at the 3? screw that..put him at the 5. lets go full rockets.

Last edited:
Edwards should have come in with a little more than two minutes left in the first half. Instead, JB brings Sidibe back in and he instantly picks up number three. The entire building knew the foul would happen.

I know, the announcers always mention how JB has great trust in them...I feel like they do everything possible to break that trust.

They do commit some amazingly silly fouls at times.

listen to his press conference

Marek can take some breaks, perhaps keep him fresher for the end of game, and out of foul trouble. It's about a few minutes here or there in my mind. Again, match-ups will likely dictate to some extent, but we do need to be better defensively up top.
Marek needs cigarette breaks. Lack of nicotine is causing some brain farts in the second half

Marek needs cigarette breaks. Lack of nicotine is causing some brain farts in the second half

Dude should just wallpaper his back with The Patch then. :p

he made the buzzer beater but you’re right, he did some real nice things on defense. He anticipated a pass to the corner and got there to tip the pass out of bounds. He was weak side on the wing and went to the baseline anticipating a shot from the other side and was able to get the rebound. Regardless of what the ref called, he did a great job moving his feet and staying in front of his man who the used his arm to push off. That was great defense. He also doesn’t look frantic in the zone. He’s very smooth and seems to glide back and forth. He’s got long strides even side to side and has long arms. He may not be a Jason hart lock down defender type, but he can be an outstanding defender and dems to have gotten the zone concepts with little game time.

More Goodine less Girard

THIS.

I know he does this, but our team has proven time after time that they can’t handle it.

Any big gets 2 in the first half and we should, hopefully, have some confidence in putting Edwards out there for a couple minutes or playing Goodine and sliding Buddy down.

Can’t afford to lose games because our entire front line is in severe foul trouble at the under 8 timeout.

Dude should just wallpaper his back with The Patch then. :p

I was tempted to make a post about using the patch, but I figured a cigarette(and maybe a leather jacket) while stepping out into the cold might help give Marek the gritty non-Western European look, and more importantly the persona.

Then I realized that it might slow down his weight gain even more, if that was possible.

More Goodine less Girard

Joe looked tired to me last night in spots. No doubt the hustle is there but he just looks fatigued. He needs to sit for 4-5 minutes every first half. It helps his second half defense a lot when he gets rest.

Joe looked tired to me last night in spots. No doubt the hustle is there but he just looks fatigued. He needs to sit for 4-5 minutes every first half. It helps his second half defense a lot when he gets rest.
I have, at least, as much confidence in Goodine hitting a three as I do Girard at this point, and his defense is better.

Just let Eli run point for a few minutes each half with Buddy and Goodine. No reason for a freshman, who should be a rotation guy this year on a normal Syracuse team, playing 36+ per game.

I think the possible reason for Buddy's lack of rebounding is more of a mindset thing and feeling that it isn't really his role on the team. Perhaps if he were to play more at the forward spot, his production would increase accordingly. As others have mentioned at a solid 6'6" he's more than capable of getting some boards.

Rebounding, IMO, is 99% getting after it, mindset and grit. All 6'1" of Cole Anthony yesterday in NC/Duke game had 11 boards prior to the OT. That 6'1" frosh dude from VT (Radford) also averages around 6-7 boards per game and BC's 6"1" guard, Bowen, of yesteryear also averaged solid numbers here as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom