More from Gross: 8 vs 9 ACC games not decided | Syracusefan.com

More from Gross: 8 vs 9 ACC games not decided

Townie72

All American
Listening closely to the Gross interview he seems to say that 8 conference games vs 9 conference games has not been decided for 2013 since he lists the arguments for both.

He went on to say a 9 game ACC schedule could bring some of the currently scheduled OCC Neutral site games into question..

ACC statement from Swofford says the ACC goes to a 9 game schedule once Pitt and SU join. So I don't know why TGD thinks it's still up in the air.

But it does seem he is hinting that a 9-game conference schedule will bring the Giants Stadium games into question was indeed interesting.

Looks like some posters on this board may get their wish after all.

Personally, I think it's a mistake. I believe the uptick in recruiting in NYC is being helped by scheduling a big game at Giants Stadium every other year.

Cheers,
Neil

I think it would only be an issue on the years we have 4 home conference games. Because that increases the possibility of having only 5 true home games: 5 Away, 4 Home, 1 OOC Away, 1 OOC Home, 1 OOC Meadowlands would not work. However: 4 Away, 5 Home, 1 OOC Away, 1 OOC Home and 1 OOC Meadowlands would work and actually be better than what we're getting this year. You also have the possibility of 4 A, 5 H, 2 OOC Home, 1 OOC Meadowlands.

And I agree with Omni about the recruiting effect. I also suspect that as the BE continues to crumble and RU is headed to Houston, Boise and all points West of the Mississippi, then even Jersey recruits are going to start looking at SU again.

ACC statement from Swofford says the ACC goes to a 9 game schedule once Pitt and SU join. So I don't know why TGD thinks it's still up in the air.

But it does seem he is hinting that a 9-game conference schedule will bring the Giants Stadium games into question was indeed interesting.

Looks like some posters on this board may get their wish after all.

Personally, I think it's a mistake. I believe the uptick in recruiting in NYC is being helped by scheduling a big game at Giants Stadium every other year.

Cheers,
Neil

I'm assuming it wouldn't impact the PSU or ND series in NYC. So, combined with USC, that would be 4 games at Giants Stadium in the next 5 seasons. But yeah, the other commitment that wasn't overly defined anyway, is probably impacted. Which I don't think is necessarily that bad given our new conference circumstances. We get good exposure live in NYC until 2016, and by then we're hopefully back to a much stronger position in college football, as we used to be.

I'm assuming it wouldn't impact the PSU or ND series in NYC. So, combined with USC, that would be 4 games at Giants Stadium in the next 5 seasons. But yeah, the other commitment that wasn't overly defined anyway, is probably impacted. Which I don't think is necessarily that bad given our new conference circumstances. We get good exposure live in NYC until 2016, and by then we're hopefully back to a much stronger position in college football, as we used to be.

I've been a broken record on this issue, but I've been skeptical we would ever see the long-term, every-other-year, NYC games that were supposed to start years from now actually come to fruition. It was something Gross felt like we needed to do when we were stranded in the Big East. If the program continues to recover and we're able to play a strong ACC schedule each year, there's much less need to be locked into that arrangement.

I've been a broken record on this issue, but I've been skeptical we would ever see the long-term, every-other-year, NYC games that were supposed to start years from now actually come to fruition. It was something Gross felt like we needed to do when we were stranded in the Big East. If the program continues to recover and we're able to play a strong ACC schedule each year, there's much less need to be locked into that arrangement.

When we agreed to the 20 year/10 game deal starting in 2019, we were a BE team needing 5 OOC games a year.

Now we'll only need 3 OOC games.

When we agreed to the 20 year/10 game deal starting in 2019, we were a BE team needing 5 OOC games a year.

Will that be good or bad for SU, in your opinion?

It'll sure be nice to know who we're playing in the years ahead with only 3 OOC games...no need to fill in a dumb slot with a crazy game late like this year.

By then college football may have 13 games. You never know.

Another thing that Gross pointed out was that these Meadowland games can be part of a three game Away-Neutral-Home package which is what PSU agreed to. Schools that wouldn't go for a Home and Away deal with SU might be tempted by a Away-Neutral-Home package. I know the Big Ten schools have big alumni bases in the NY metro area.

I really applaud SU's and Gross's willingness to "think out of the box" on this and come up with approaches that are new.

It doesn't hurt that we have so many alumni in the NY/NJ metro area and that these alumni contribute 2x what other alumni do on average.

Will that be good or bad for SU, in your opinion?

It'll sure be nice to know who we're playing in the years ahead with only 3 OOC games...no need to fill in a dumb slot with a crazy game late like this year.

IMO we won't play 11 BCS teams a year (only USC is crazy enough to do that).

1 BCS
2 CUSA / MAC / 1AA

Another thing that Gross pointed out was that these Meadowland games can be part of a three game Away-Neutral-Home package which is what PSU agreed to. Schools that wouldn't go for a Home and Away deal with SU might be tempted by a Away-Neutral-Home package. I know the Big Ten schools have big alumni bases in the NY metro area.

I really applaud SU's and Gross's willingness to "think out of the box" on this and come up with approaches that are new.

It doesn't hurt that we have so many alumni in the NY/NJ metro area and that these alumni contribute 2x what other alumni do on average.

I think the CNY reaction to 1-1-1 would be much more receptive than the 0-1-1 or 0-0-2 arrangements. Lots of schools are playing made-for-TV neutral site games these days, so if we can get that along with a traditional 1-1 series, and have the neutral site be 5 hours from campus in a place where we have a huge concentration of alums, that's an unquestionable win.

I understand CNYers agita over the USC deal though.

I think the CNY reaction to 1-1-1 would be much more receptive than the 0-1-1 or 0-0-2 arrangements. Lots of schools are playing made-for-TV neutral site games these days, so if we can get that along with a traditional 1-1 series, and have the neutral site be 5 hours from campus in a place where we have a huge concentration of alums, that's an unquestionable win.

I understand CNYers agita over the USC deal though.

Nobody has ever said boo about a 1-1-1 deal being bad so I think everyone would agree with you.

Nobody has ever said boo about a 1-1-1 deal being bad so I think everyone would agree with you.

Well, there are people (not you) who have thrown the Penn State game into the discussion as piling onto the "moving all our good games to NYC".

But I agree with Scooch, and I've been a broken record too, that I can understand the locals angst at the USC game. The PSU is a fair deal, and hopefully something we'll see more of if that's what it takes to get big programs to the Dome. The ND deal is an unfortunate cost of doing business if you want to play ND and get all the exposure that comes with it. Which I'll take. And everyone should make a trip to South Bend (but stay in Chicago unless you have an irrational love of strip malls and in that case you'll love South Bend).

Well, there are people (not you) who have thrown the Penn State game into the discussion as piling onto the "moving all our good games to NYC".

But I agree with Scooch, and I've been a broken record too, that I can understand the locals angst at the USC game. The PSU is a fair deal, and hopefully something we'll see more of if that's what it takes to get big programs to the Dome. The ND deal is an unfortunate cost of doing business if you want to play ND and get all the exposure that comes with it. Which I'll take. And everyone should make a trip to South Bend (but stay in Chicago unless you have an irrational love of strip malls and in that case you'll love South Bend).

On South Bend and ND --- I mentioned in another post that ND recruits our local area hard in lacrosse, especially the Catholic private schools.

A few years ago, one of the kids they recruited so hard returned from his official visit to South Bend. He had never really been exposed to the ND mystique prior to this.

When he came back it was clear the visit hadn't gone very well and when asked about it he came across as having very little enthusiasm for the place. Of course that upset the local subway alumni who really did want to see a local kid playing for the Irish.

When someone who knew the kid well finally got him to open up, he told them his issues. "First", he told them, "I knew I would never be able to reach the level of insane enthusiasm for the place that everyone I talked to seemed to have. Second, its in the worse place I have ever seen. Cold, windy, sleet and just ugly". It's in the middle of nowhere".

The kid eventually went to Georgetown --- which is definitely not in the middle of nowhere --- where he was one of the best ten players they have had there in the past ten years. This performance silenced the ND subway alumni who would have preferred that he flopped and thereby proven that it was ND who rejected him and not him saying "No" to ND.

I believe the uptick in recruiting in NYC is being helped by scheduling a big game at Giants Stadium every other year.

Wayne Morgan's comments recently supports this... something to the effect that people in the city telling him they can't wait for that game (USC) and that they are definitely going.

I'm surprised Gross thinks it's still possible the ACC will play only eight conference games. I thought it had been made clear that the ACC will play nine conference games once SU and Pitt join. That said, if the ACC really thinks they have a chance to get Notre Dame, they should stick with eight conference games. Nine will a turn-off for the Domers. They'd have to lose some of their traditional rivalries.

As for the Jersey games, they should try to schedule them in years that SU has five conference home games. I think it's safe to assume SU will schedule an FCS team at home every year. That's six home games...and the hardcore fans can drive to Jersey if they really want to see a seventh.

Should always try for 7 home game a year.

I don't see how we'll be able to pull that off with a 9 game conf schedule. 7 home games per year would mean of the 6 OOC games you schedule in a 2 year period, 5 of them would have to be home (all 3 on even years, 2 of 3 on odd years). Won't be a lot of scheduling flexibility.

But it makes sense why that would probably kill NYC going forward.

By then college football may have 13 games. You never know.

Ugh. You're probably right. But I really, really hope not.

Ugh. You're probably right. But I really, really hope not.

I think 13 regular season games is utterly inevitable.

You know, it's really in the best interests of the "student athletes".

:eek: Yup. It moves us further away from a real playoff off 8 or more teams.

ND was the most unimpressive school I have visited, other than perhaps Purdue.

As conferences keep expanding, I think there could either be an extra regular season game or possibly even a semi-final conference champion game as well as a championship game.

After all, the ACC and SEC only need to add one team each to possibly split into three divisions with a semi-final game.

Cheers,
Neil

ND was the most unimpressive school I have visited, other than perhaps Purdue.

I think the gameday and stadium experience is worth the trip. But South Bend itself, awful. I just can't imagine having spent 4 years of my life there. It's not even college town, it's more like a campus dropped to the side of the highway.

Listening closely to the Gross interview he seems to say that 8 conference games vs 9 conference games has not been decided for 2013 since he lists the arguments for both.

He went on to say a 9 game ACC schedule could bring some of the currently scheduled OCC Neutral site games into question..
Didn't listen to the interview, but if these two topics become tied together, I could see a future spin where the "solution" is to play some ACC home games at the Meadowlands. Just one time (at first) to resolve a situation where a particular year is overbooked or underbooked...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom