More Good News | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

More Good News

I've been waiting over 30 years for the opportunity to watch SU play Duke in the Dome.

You don't mind if I'm actually able to see the game, do ya?

Preferably without binoculars.

If you need binoculars to view a basketball game feature in the center of the dome...then I highly suggest consulting your local eye doctor or at least giving up driving.

I understand local fans being upset about the met life games. I don't however understand how season ticket holders would be so upset if we did These once every few years. So your seats might be a little worse but it would be fun and garner a ton of attention

This is a truly dumb idea. Ask anyone who was in the Georgia Dome for the Final Four. Countless rows of seats on the floor without risers. Countless seats in another zip code. Football stadiums were not built to hold basketball courts lengthwise. It would be a logistical nightmare to give equitable treatment to those in the temporary bleachers -- or those who are paying $10,000/seat for courtside seats. It would hurt all season ticket holders -- because they would all wind up with worse seats than they have.

And PS... preferred seating tickets holders have already renewed their season tickets. I suspect there would be a mutiny if they were told they will not get what they have paid for.

And PPS... Everyone says there is no better college basketball atmosphere than Cameron Indoor. That place holds about 9000. It is the quality of the fan involvement -- not only the quantity -- that makes for a great game day environment.

People are talking about the Carrier Dome like it's the Super Dome or that craphole where the As and Raiders play. The football seats are on top of the field.. If we have 20K season ticket holders give them the best 10K seats on each side and build out from there.

It makes a lot more sense than playing on a boat in the ocean.

I think it's a cool idea! Not everyone likes change, i get it! they rolled out gray uniforms for one game and people were acting like it was the new school color. Why not try it once! They will take care of the season ticket holders, I'm sure they will let you choose whatever seat you want. The final four looked pretty cool this year, I liked the student section they had and it would be great if they could replicate that.

[quote=" SU AD's office would not do something if they think it would hurt their golden goose,[/quote]

Maybe not purposely. But quite often it is overreaching that leads to trouble.

Plus you now allow whoever we play to tell their fan base, alumni, and recruits that they are so good that SU has to reconfigure the dome to accommodate them. Big time programs, which I believe we are, should be above thinking like this.

I get the rich people in this thread wanting to protect their investment, but this argument is backwards. It makes no sense. What if we don't reconfigure, but we break the attendance record (highly likely)? Doesn't that show we weren't "above" coming out to see SU play Duke? So you extrapolate your argument from there and it would be preferable to have only 21k show up for the game because to have more fans than our average would make us look needy.

This thread is mind boggling to me.

MIND.

BOGGLING.

I was at the Georgia Dome...and it was freakin' amazing.

50,000+ for a once in a lifetime event putting two of the greatest coaches in the history of the game?!

Nahhh, you're all right, there's just no way of doing it. People might end up 30 feet further from the court than they usually sit. What a tragedy. Might as well punch them in the face when they enter the Dome, then go their house and kill their pets for good measure.

This thread is mind boggling to me.

MIND.

BOGGLING.

I was at the Georgia Dome...and it was freakin' amazing.

50,000+ for a once in a lifetime event putting two of the greatest coaches in the history of the game?!

Nahhh, you're all right, there's just no way of doing it. People might end up 30 feet further from the court than they usually sit. What a tragedy. Might as well punch them in the face when they enter the Dome, then go their house and kill their pets for good measure.

30ft? Really. Do the math like others have. See Extremes post for help.

I'm betting you aren't a season ticket holder in Syracuse either.

Sent using my Commodore 64

I don't believe Syracuse University has ever sold out its season basketball tickets . Therefore they are not just for the privileged few. Being able to afford season tickets to sports teams is usually the result of hard work not privilege

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

This is one of the shallowest posts I've ever seen on this board. "Being able to afford season tickets to sports teams is usually the result of HARD WORK not privilege"???? OR maybe a fiscally responsible person might think the $10,000 (or $50,000 depending on the seat) donation they want for the RIGHT to a season ticket is overkill. See I can afford the donation/tickets, that's not the issue. The issue is dishing out all of that money when realistically I'm going to make it to 6 games a year... because I'm out WORKING TOO HARD the rest of the time (see where I went with that?). You are better off spending $300 a ticket on stubhub for the few games a season you can actually attend.

Congratulations on having season tickets, but your correlation of hard work and season tickets is stupid. Plenty of hardworking people out there would love to have them but think about the big picture and know it's not a smart move for them. Realistically the only people it makes sense for are people who have tons of free time or live relatively close. If you "work hard" and live over an hour a way it's probably not a smart move with your money.

Season tickets are a blessing. Expendable wealth is a blessing. Good for you, all of you that can afford them.

However there are people who work just as hard, some harder than you could imagine, that cannot afford to even see one game, let alone the season...that would give anything to have that seat with the backboard or something else blocking a fraction of there view.

Season tickets are a blessing. Expendable wealth is a blessing. Good for you, all of you that can afford them.

However there are people who work just as hard, some harder than you could imagine, that cannot afford to even see one game, let alone the season...that would give anything to have that seat with the backboard or something else blocking a fraction of there view.
For one thing, people could've gotten into the Georgetown game for about $50 on StubHub (maybe less by the day of the game). For another, who says the seats for a 40K-plus Duke game would be any less? Lastly, if getting to see one game is an issue, $20 would get you much nicer seats for the pre-ACC games.

I'm agnostic on the issue -- the luster of packing in as many as you can wears off pretty quickly when you lose, but I'll say in its favor: the seats from the last row of Section 301 for Georgetown weren't that bad. As OX (or someone else noted), given that renewals are already in, it probably won't happen this years anyways -- if you're going to do it (and, again, I don't feel that strongly either way) do it the year after Boeheim (who thinks it's a stupid idea in part because you can really only add about 10K more) retires on "Jim Boeheim Day" against St. John's.

This is one of the shallowest posts I've ever seen on this board. "Being able to afford season tickets to sports teams is usually the result of HARD WORK not privilege"???? OR maybe a fiscally responsible person might think the $10,000 (or $50,000 depending on the seat) donation they want for the RIGHT to a season ticket is overkill. See I can afford the donation/tickets, that's not the issue. The issue is dishing out all of that money when realistically I'm going to make it to 6 games a year... because I'm out WORKING TOO HARD the rest of the time (see where I went with that?). You are better off spending $300 a ticket on stubhub for the few games a season you can actually attend.

Congratulations on having season tickets, but your correlation of hard work and season tickets is stupid. Plenty of hardworking people out there would love to have them but think about the big picture and know it's not a smart move for them. Realistically the only people it makes sense for are people who have tons of free time or live relatively close. If you "work hard" and live over an hour a way it's probably not a smart move with your money.

Good post. Also, PLENTY of rich and privileged aren't hard workers.

Stupid idea. Like we don't already have a great atmosphere. Let's just make as many bad seats as possible.

Agreed. This thing should be a one time event only, earmarked for Jim Boeheim's last hurrah!

The only time (or at least the 1st time) they should ever consider putting the court in the middle of the dome is for Boeheims last game. Period. No school should not be dignified as a reason for such a huge event. It is "The House that Boeheim Built" and that should be the day we put 49,000 in the seats :)

Only problem is that JB will not announce his retirement before the start of next season. No "rocking chair" tour for him.

Oh. Moving the court is not going to happen.

Why is Duke any different than Georgetown, back in the day?
The Dome is what it is. We don't need to try and put on a Las Vegas show for anybody.

30ft? Really. Do the math like others have. See Extremes post for help.

I'm betting you aren't a season ticket holder in Syracuse either.

So when it inevitably doesn't happen I assume you'll heap lavish praise on the athletic department, right?

By moving the court to the 50 yard line, they are creating 30,000 "long range view" seats. Seats that nobody will be happy .

If that were true very few people go to the Final Four
Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

I still don't think there has been 1 person in this thread who is for moving the court that is an actual season ticket holder, if so please stand up.

Reactions: cto
So when it inevitably doesn't happen I assume you'll heap lavish praise on the athletic department, right?

For not doing something a few internet posters want them to? No.

Let's say you're a season ticket holder in Sec 311.

If they move the court, your seat is now worthless.

Suppose SU decides to "reseat" all the season ticket holders in an equivalent seating location. Now you're in Sec 302.

302 is just as worthless because you're still too far away from the court.

On top of that, think of the poor schmuck that gets stuck in 311 ... behind the basket ... at least 50 yards away from the action.

DomeExpanded.gif
I agree with all of this.

Don't see why we would seriously consider doing it.

There is no question it would alienate the season ticket holders that carry the Syracuse program on their backs. I don't know one that likes this idea.

Seats are bad for basketball in the Dome already. Why make them awful? Why make the worst thing about the Dome for basketball ten times worse?

Who does this benefit? How many people who wanted to go to any Syracuse game played in the Dome have ever been turned away because a seat wasn't available? 100? 200?

There are a lot of people who choose not to go to games because the seats that are available are too awful for them to justify paying the money SU asks to attend. Will changing the number of awful seats available from 13K to 40K make the game more attractive to these people?

I think this idea is all about big egos and showing people something hard to do is possible, and trying to put up a really big attendance number to show everyone who the man is.

The first priority needs to be the fans. Especially the fans that carry the program year after year, through thick and thin.

This is almost as bad of an idea as when Chancellor Cantor was talking about moving ACC home basketball games to MSG.

If you decide to mess with the golden goose, you sure as hell better have great reasons for doing it.

I can see two ends of the spectrum here..
1) This would be awful news for the season ticket holders. I have grandparents that have been loyal ticket holders for 20 years and even they said it would be disappointing. They did however say it would be a good opportunity for those fans who are not season ticket holders
2) As a PR person moving the court to the center of the field would be a tremendous win for the University and the ACC. If you can somehow find a way to properly seat the season ticket holders, provide some kind of exclusive incentive like wining and dining them, then this would be a no brainer for national exposure. It's so difficult though..because you have to find some way to respect the season ticket holders and provide them maximum incentives. What a selling point you can give to a program like Texas, whose AD said if they were to ever move they would go EAST.

I am not by anyway shape or form trying to piss off season ticket holders because I totally understand, just trying to provide the other side of the spectrum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom