Most memorable individual moments? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Most memorable individual moments?

My memory says Mike Hopkins threw the pass.

You were harsh on your memory earlier in this thread, but it seems very good to me!!

Kudos to the others who answered too. Nice to get Hop's name mentioned on the board as a player a bit more often. I was reminded and going to say it in reply to a post about 24 hours ago regarding someone gritty and hard nosed, a good team leader and defender...but they were taalking about Charles Manson. (not joking, lol)

That McRae shot was right after they made one after with 1.7 left after we made one with like 15 seconds left after they made one with 30 seconds left after we made one with like 45 seconds left...at least thats how I remember it. I do recall I broke the my original issued ESF mug at 327 Winding Ridge by throwing right before Conrad's shot on the exact same spot as Laetner almost a year to the day later.

Not sure if this thread is supposed to focus on specific plays or a specific games. Both are being referenced.

Reggie Powell had a 360 against someone bad. It was amazing. Kid had ups.

So did Cliff Warwell. He threw at least one down back in the late 1970s, we had some great athletes that didn't last long on the hill.

Jimmy Lee: making the mid range jumper on a great pass inside out from Rudy Hackett to beat a Phil Ford led UNC in the NCAA tournament.

Bug Williams: driving the length of the court to get the ball to Hackett, who scored just before the buzzer to send the SU-Kansas State game to OT. SU would win to get to its first Final Four.

Greg Monroe: hit a corner jumper near the buzzer to beat St Johns in OT at Alumni Hall circa 1984.

Eddie Moss: forcing Purdue PG Brian Walker into 10 turnovers to lead SU to a victory over the Boilermakers on national TV (rare for 1980).

Marty Headd: drives the lame and scores a buzzer beating winning basket to beat Georgetown at the Dome after SU had blown a 17 point lead in the second half.

David Johnson: buzzer beater shot over Mourning to beat Georgetown in the BET.

Billy Owens: scored a buzzer beater to beat Notre Dame at ND in a nationally televised game. SU had just gotten a bunch of suspended players back. The ND student section set new lows for behavior during the game and the look on their shocked faces when they realized they lost was priceless.

Reggie Powell had a 360 against someone bad. It was amazing. Kid had ups.

So did Cliff Warwell. He threw at least one down back in the late 1970s, we had some great athletes that didn't last long on the hill.
Black Beauty and Crazy Cliff Warwell. I think I was there for both those moments (the Powell dunk - I'm thinking vs. Penn St????). Felt bad for Powell - he could jump out of the gym, but was stuck behind Shackleford, Byrnes, and Orr. Not in the cards for him.

How about the following centers? What was there OSM?
Reafsnyder
Mookie Watkins
Celuck

Mookie's is less a moment and more the full game off the bench against UConn in the semis in 2005. For maybe the only time in that era (and five or six days after they beat us by 20+), our bigs just dominated them. Mookie replaced Forth early and was a big part of that, very good defensive game for a young guy; it was a shame that his development was stunted by an injury earlier that year.

Celuck, just the mismatched shorts/jersey. Sorry, but that's it.

Can't think of a single Reafsnyder moment, other than a much-published still of either Antoine Walker or Walter McCarty dunking in his vicinity in his last game. Remember that he had decent fundamentals and an OK 10-footer. Didn't rebound great, but he wasn't soft - he just couldn't jump over a phone book.

DeShaun Williams: one-man comeback against Pitt (from about 15 down in a very short time) in our last game at Fitzgerald Fieldhouse.

Allen Griffin: the runner against Seton Hall at the Dome in 2001.

Derrick: drive and dunk from the three-point line at the Cap Centre. (That's the positive memory. The other one involves him standing at the free throw line looking like a very nervous kid.)

Hopkins: blood streaming down his face after taking an elbow late in the UMass loss in '92.

Melvin Tuten: big dunk against LeMoyne.

Charlie Lockwood: big three against Vanderbilt. (This is getting fun, loved the underdog teams in this era.)

Dave Siock: hearing his teammates yell "Yo, Gus!" as they tried to call for a high ball screen.

Conrad: The Shot at the Spectrum. Honorable mention: when he knocked down the shot clock with a dunk at Miami Arena.

Luke Jackson: all the jumpers in that Nova comeback. And hearing CBS prattle on and on about a timeout that he didn't have anything to do with against Arkansas.

Moten: getting a half-dunk in transition at the Civic Arena and seeing all his teammates give him a hard time because he couldn't dunk in a game. (He later did.)

Wallace: the dunk against UConn in '94. And dancing at midcourt before every tipoff.

Michael Lloyd: sweet reverse dunk at the Cap Centre in a big win in '95. Also, the George Washington banked three to force overtime at Manley.

Bobby Lazor: getting Boeheimed about 20 seconds after entering a home game against Alabama in '95 or '96 and failing to rebound a missed free throw. Think that was the last we saw of him.

Z: totally dominating Iverson and Georgetown in 1996. Might've thrown down a dunk in that game, too, but I could be making that up.

Elimu Nelson: layup to end the Hoya rout in 1996.

Crazy, but my Ovcina memory is exactly the same as the poster's. Tied the game at 40-40 or something close to that, we went to a media timeout and they replayed the great tip like 10 times, and everything went to hell immediately after.

Otis Hill: spin, dunk, and-one around and through Raef Lafrentz and Scot Pollard. (Also, that Alabama game. Awesome.)

Etan: one-man wrecking crew in a crazy blow-out of BC in an early-round Big East game in maybe 1998. So many blocks. Also, randomly, at the end of a loss to Nova his freshman or sophomore year, his getting a held ball with a Nova player and persisting after the whistle in throwing the guy around like a rag doll. Remember thinking that this was an impressive mean streak for a Syracuse guy.

Blackwell: missing the same runner that Allen Griffin would make the next season against Seton Hall, also against Seton Hall, to end our 19-game winning streak. I should remember the 1998 St. John's shot more vividly (and I do remember it), but this is my Blackwell memory for some reason.

Burgan: that ineffective shot fake, followed by him invariably taking the lefty shot after the defender didn't bite. Glad our opponents had film study.

I wish I had a specific LaSean Howard memory, because that kid was a player, but I don't.

Damone Brown: the alley-oop to push the lead to 14 over Michigan State.

James Thues: fantastic defense in a very late comeback against Wake Forest in the 2001-2002 preseason NIT. Sadly, not the last NIT he'd see that season.

Kueth: jubilantly running downcourt after yet another made jumper in the first half against Kansas. Also had a spectacular dunk in that Wake comeback mentioned above.

Shumpert: shot over Tayshaun Prince to beat Kentucky in 2000.

Big Perm: less the Pitt free throws, more the put-back of McNamara's wild runner a few seconds later. Very strong play for a guy with bad hands.

Greg Davis: the kid who could not run, taking off downcourt in a wild jumble of moving arms and legs.

Pace and Edelin had such unshowy and workman-like games that I think the most vivid memory is their consecutive dunks at the end of the Texas game.

Forth vs. Okafor Part II, 2004.

Demetris Nichols, at the Dome against St. John's in 2006 or 2007. Had a crazy run of made jumpers in the second half, including a ridiculous fadeaway in front of our bench.

Roberts: big dunk to give us a late lead in the upset of Pitt in 2004, their first ever loss in their new building. Also: Vroom-Vroom after any number of big plays.

Josh Wright gets credit for his huge free throws against Pitt in the 2006 championship. For whatever reason, my stronger memory is of him being on the receiving end of an alley-oop from Devendorf (in a half-court set, no less) in 2006 or 2007.

Devendorf: three from the corner during during a huge run against Texas Tech in 2005-2006, woofing at Bob Knight and their bench on his way back toward what he considered defense (sorry, had to). Thought we had a real gifted scorer on our hands.

Onuaku: I'm going with his late hook shot in the upset of West Virginia during his freshman year.

Rick Jackson: crazy 3/4 court bounce pass against Cornell. Loved that guy's passing ability, very underrated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom