Most pathetic game of the season | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Most pathetic game of the season

hughes gaurds anthony. sidibe only guards brooks and doesnt think of the corner 3. anyone else gaurds keeling. face gaurding. i doubt they score 90 if that is the case. yeah brooks is going to get his...but all of anthonys 3s were WIDE OPEN...he was taking the weather report and lining up his shots before shooting...that has nothing to do with athleticism but scheme, imo.
That’s funny I think it’s the opposite.

Notre Dame ain’t great at perimeter defense, but even they held them under 80 because they have size in the paint.

UNC also shot lights out. I mean they were wide open, because we are historically bad on D, but still.

UNC played well yesterday, best I've seen them play outside of the Duke game.

But yeah if we can't get them at home in their worst season in a while, not great.

Tyus Battle lost by an average of 12 points when he played UNC in his career. More athleticism at guard ain’t fixing this.

It would help. But in addition to being a bad matchup, we have been largely mediocre for a decade and they have been top 5. We pretty much need to get better everywhere to compete with them. When have we had a talent advantage against them?

It would help. But in addition to being a bad matchup, we have been largely mediocre for a decade and they have been top 5. We pretty much need to get better everywhere to compete with them. When have we had a talent advantage against them?

Well we haven’t had the talent advantage against Duke either, but we’ve beaten them 4-5 times and been competitive in most of those games.

Against UNC it’s a bloodbath where we are largely not competitive. It’s very reminiscent of Pitt absolutely owning us for 15 years under Howland/Dixon. The biggest issue is JB teams are soft inside. Until we get some muscle at the 4 and 5 we are going to lose to them every time.

Come on folks, they were 11 - 17 because Anthony missed over one month with an injury. Today he was on the floor and playing like a one and done. I for one have tons more pain from this loss living here less than 20 miles from Chapel Hill. We hav eseveral defensive deficenies and today they stuck out like a sore thumb. If our offense is sputtering with Hughes, Joe G and Dolezaj not scoring and QG struggling, we have zero chances of winning. I can not dislike a team any more than the UN Cheaters but they out played us by being much more athletic today. On top of that when a team shoots over 42% for threes when they average 29%, tough to win. Tough way to lose last home game but let's get win number 17 to keep our record above .500.
Classy response

As NorSyr66 said I think some of you are underrating UNC. This is really the first game that Anthony has completely gotten back to his ability level as well as the team getting comfortable with him playing again.

I would not underestimate what they are capable of doing in the ACC tournament.

This is in no way excusing our defense or lack of offense when we did have opportunities.

As NorSyr66 said I think some of you are underrating UNC. This is really the first game that Anthony has completely gotten back to his ability level as well as the team getting comfortable with him playing again.

I would not underestimate what they are capable of doing in the ACC tournament.

This is in no way excusing our defense or lack of offense when we did have opportunities.

They weren’t all that good with him before he got hurt. More excuses. He’s been back for a month and a half.

Sometimes statistics blur the reality...Girard is a terrible defender.

Sure, there is absolutely the eyeball test too. But you probably can’t just dismiss the stats entirely. I find it interesting that while both seem to be regarded by many here as equally bad defensively, the advanced stats indicate that Joe is average and Buddy is a below average defender. Take what you will from that.

Also interesting are the similarities between Joe and Battle last yr...

Battle- DRtg 104, DPBM .3, DWS 1.4, Steal% 1.9, DRB% 8.1

Girard- DRtg 104.5, DPBM .1, DWS .9, Steal% 2.8, DRB% 9.2

I can't wait for the postgame presser, did we lose, because:

A) Because we missed shots
or:
B) Because it's hard to win if you miss shots
or:
C) Because you gotta make shots, and they made shots

JB said they had three guys making 3 pointers. That's the game now. Like the poster whose name I forgot said last March after the Baylor loss, Steph Curry killed the zone.

The top of our zone is horrendous

Sometimes statistics blur the reality...Girard is a terrible defender.

Yeah, I'm thinking if advanced statistics claim that...advanced statistics are broken.
JB said they had three guys making 3 pointers. That's the game now. Like the poster whose name I forgot said last March after the Baylor loss, Steph Curry killed the zone.

I don't think JB agrees with - he still thinks we defend the three well.

Our 3 point defense outside of yesterday really hasn’t been that bad this year. Its actually better than last season and in line with most years.

It’s our 2 point defense that is atrocious. We are 12th in the conference and just below 50 percent for the season.

Our 3 point defense outside of yesterday really hasn’t been that bad this year. Its actually better than last season and in line with most years.

It’s our 2 point defense that is atrocious. We are 12th in the conference and just below 50 percent for the season.
So that’s mostly our guards fault?

So that’s mostly our guards fault?
In the very good Rockets v Celts game last night, it was close near the end of the 4th quarter when Cs coach Brad Stephens switched to a “2-3” zone. The rockets came down, slowed themselves for a second, made one pass and a no-name guard stood five feet behind the 3-pt line and calmly swished one without being closely contested.

That’s the state of the game these days.

I think we did back in the old days when historic statues and flags were unmolested.

What is our record against them since joining the conference?
What are you taking about? Confederate flags and statues?

They weren’t all that good with him before he got hurt. More excuses. He’s been back for a month and a half.

Indeed. And, anyone paying attention to Cole Anthony's shots yesterday could determine that he needs quite a bit of time to get off his shot, not to mention he barely gets much elevation on his J. He was 7-11 from distance for the game because and only because he had the time to make sure that the 'Elite' label of the Nike basketball was completely to his liking in his hands prior to launching his shots. :mad::mad::mad:

it all start up top.

He really put on a lack-of-defensive display today - the likes of which may never be seen in the Dome again. I was in awe at times.

At one point towards the end of the game. It was like Anthony walked around Joe and he didnt move. Joe is a poor defender but I think he is exhausted as well.

I have agreed with JB before about some guys being able to play 40, but I'm not sure Joe has that athleticism to keep up like that for that long. He needs to rest more.

At one point towards the end of the game. It was like Anthony walked around Joe and he didnt move. Joe is a poor defender but I think he is exhausted as well.

I have agreed with JB before about some guys being able to play 40, but I'm not sure Joe has that athleticism to keep up like that for that long. He needs to rest more.

I've harped on this a bit, but I think Buddy's return after sitting for Goodine was the best example of why the 40 minutes is never ideal.

When he came back in, his defense wasn't exactly a work of art, but he sold out on defense. The energy level was definitely kicked up a notch or two and I thought it was really noticeable.

I would guess part is likely because he had a blow, and knew he could just go 100% for that stretch to end the half. I'm sure part of it was also he was hitting shots, and players seem to get a lift on one end from good play on the other, but I do think we probably have a couple bad defenders made worse this year by the fact that they're conserving energy.

Agreed that it depends on the player. Flynn was a guy that seemed like he could go forever(see the 6 OT game), but you might be right on Joe.

Not sure why Washington fell out of the rotation. He was in it for awhile. He can buy you a few minutes here and there IMO - and if Boeheim and Hughes are rolling and we don’t need scoring out of that spot, even a little longer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom