Most pathetic game of the season | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Most pathetic game of the season

Agreed that it depends on the player. Flynn was a guy that seemed like he could go forever(see the 6 OT game), but you might be right on Joe.

Not sure why Washington fell out of the rotation. He was in it for awhile. He can buy you a few minutes here and there IMO - and if Boeheim and Hughes are rolling and we don’t need scoring out of that spot, even a little longer.

Plus, in spots we can have Hughes or Marek initiate the offense anyway - it's just a matter of resting, and recharging whilst HoWa or Goodine take a few minutes here or there.

all of anthonys 3s were WIDE OPEN...he was taking the weather report and lining up his shots before shooting...that has nothing to do with athleticism but scheme, imo.
not so fast now. He’d have no reason to check the weather report - last I checked we play in a dome.

So that’s mostly our guards fault?
Yes. When you can’t move laterally that means they are getting penetration at will. That means the ball gets to the post at will either by entry pass or dribble drive. At that point the interior defense is at a disadvantage trying to chase and erase mistakes.

Fatigue plays into poor D for sure. Joe and Buddy are never going to be more than average defenders as they just dont have the physical skills. Joe is especially challenged as he is small, lacks length and has no vertical. He is is to shoot over, pass over, or drive by. Buddy has height but average length. His lack of foot speed is his greatest weakness. As a combo up top they are very easy to exploit. They both hustle and give 110% but hustle and effort can only go so far.
Combine that with a weak 5 position, a string bean at the 4 and an undersized 3 and you have a weak defense.

I've harped on this a bit, but I think Buddy's return after sitting for Goodine was the best example of why the 40 minutes is never ideal.

When he came back in, his defense wasn't exactly a work of art, but he sold out on defense. The energy level was definitely kicked up a notch or two and I thought it was really noticeable.

I would guess part is likely because he had a blow, and knew he could just go 100% for that stretch to end the half. I'm sure part of it was also he was hitting shots, and players seem to get a lift on one end from good play on the other, but I do think we probably have a couple bad defenders made worse this year by the fact that they're conserving energy.
He also probably had a coach in his ear while on the bench pointing out what UNC was doing to get by the guards, including that double screen action. That was new...

Our 3 point defense outside of yesterday really hasn’t been that bad this year. Its actually better than last season and in line with most years.

apples and oranges. The 3 point line was moved back for this season so you’d expect numbers to be lower this season.

apples and oranges. The 3 point line was moved back for this season so you’d expect numbers to be lower this season.

Except you'd be wrong. I just checked KP. Last year we gave up 32.9 from 3. This year it is 31.9. Last year the D-1 average was 34.4. This year it is 33.3. So right in line with last year based on the adjusted line.

Except you'd be wrong. I just checked KP. Last year we gave up 32.9 from 3. This year it is 31.9. Last year the D-1 average was 34.4. This year it is 33.3. So right in line with last year based on the adjusted line.

Where do we fall relative to our peers in conference?

How's the TS% stack up between this season and last compared to the average? Also, I assume that the D1 average includes all D1 schools and not just the P5. I think limiting threes is all well and good, but if the end result is giving up 50-60% from 2 through easy lay-ups and backdoor cuts on penetration, then things aren't so rosy. This is why I don't think any other P5 schools run 100% zone. It's just too complicated and requires so many specific parts. Everyone plays some form of M2M based on either a philosophy that doesn't require special athletes or 7' wingspans (Wisconsin and UVA) or something that is adjusted based on the recruits they do have. Lots of people like to point out that JG3 must be awesome because Duke recruited him, yet he couldn't possibly play M2M here at SU. So what defense was he going to play at Duke then? Just the desginated shooter off the bench when K rolls out his 2-3 zone variant?

I'm going to have to get me a KP Sub. There's just too much good info on there.

Where do we fall relative to our peers in conference?

7th. 6th overall in FG% defense.

However I can't post KP, but our 2 point percentage defense is the 2nd worst ever going back to 97. Only 2017 was worse...In ACC games alone only Pitt and BC have a worse 2point% against..

We are 350th in 3 point attempts given up.

EDIT: We are 127th in effective FG%. Last year we were 48.

Last edited:

apples and oranges and it’s not wrong. Your numbers don’t prove either of our points. If you think our 3 point defense is as good as last year and the recent past, I don’t know what to tell you. So we still lead the nation in 3 point attempts given up and made? I’m too lazy to look it up.

apples and oranges and it’s not wrong. Your numbers don’t prove either of our points. If you think our 3 point defense is as good as last year and the recent past, I don’t know what to tell you. So we still lead the nation in 3 point attempts given up and made? I’m too lazy to look it up.

The numbers are the numbers. I'm telling you the 2 point percentage is the worst it's ever been for a JB team outside of 2017. That could also be because the line was lengthened. A few games we got shredded and that was UNC, Notre Dame, and Georgetown. I'll count Louisville too, but the team quit.

There’s no doubt the level of recruiting is very different as well when you watch these types of games. Hopefully that changes next 2 years especially with POWER forwards
Back in the summer someone posted a team pic from Italy and I remarked how tiny we are. It’s ridiculous.

I don’t know. I just know JB has said they practice it all the time. They have to in order to be able to practice their m2m offense
Just because you’re running it in dummy drills/scout team style doesn’t mean you are practicing.

however I think you are scratching at an issue that’s been a part of my consternation lately which is development. If we practice our M2M offense (that which we are going to use most frequently) against a squad that isn’t committed to M2M d what have we developed? Answer: not much.

second, if we practice our base d against scrub teams in practice what have we developed? Answer: not much.

I think the primary reliance on zone has hindered our development even more than its struggled on the court on game days. I think it explains why we look so befuddled when we give up easy shots (because our scout players can’t do that)...

Im sitting at my desk staring into space, as the coffee is doing nothing for me, thinking about how I might try to take a 15-20 minute power nap at lunch.
iu

Lol, that was my first thought, but I could easily nod off in my chair - if one coworker wasn’t currently blabbing at 200% volume about seeing Melissa Etheridge in concert(jeez, make it stop), while another is talking about his race pace for marathons or something - why the hell do these people talk so much this early?

Im going to nod off in my car at lunch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom