Most pathetic game of the season | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Most pathetic game of the season

I’ve only been looking at this board for about a year or so.

Did people hate the zone as much when we were a consistent top 25 or better team? Or only when we’re average

It’s been a while since then we were in a different conference and most of our guards projected to NBA players and had the size/athleticism. I think people just want to change it up when we are getting shredded. I’m not sure JB might be right and it would be a mistake and we’d become bad at the zone from it and therefor bad at both.

I wonder how many games this year have equated to someone having a “career high in _____”. Without any research it was a career high 7 threes for Cole Anthony. I don’t care if they give up a lot of points but the career element for someone every time they play SU is not coincidental somehow

Zero excuses. If we can’t beat Carolina now we can forget ever beating them. What a joke.

that -4.5 line was free money.Their strengths are our biggest weaknesses. Anyone who is surprised by Garrison’s game today obviously hasn’t watched UNC this year. He’s a matchup nightmare against us. The bottom line is we’re not very good. I don’t understand why people can’t see this.

In 2014, Boeheim was 4-1 against Roy, including wins in the elite 8 and National title game. The narrative just 6 years ago was that Boeheim owns Roy.

I still feel this way. Though I'm beginning to learn my lesson and have stopped predicting we're going to beat them.

He's got much better players at every position and their ball movement is excellent. Shows how much Syracuse's talent level has bottomed out in the last few years.

that -4.5 line was free money.Their strengths are our biggest weaknesses. Anyone who is surprised by Garrison’s game today obviously hasn’t watched UNC this year. He’s a matchup nightmare against us. The bottom line is we’re not very good. I don’t understand why people can’t see this.
People are surprised by brooks’ Line??? Who and where?? They are off their rockers

Zero excuses. If we can’t beat Carolina now we can forget ever beating them. What a joke.

Embarrassing to get big boyed by such a mediocre squad.

"Pathetic" sums it up.

I'd be willing to bet that some career highs in points/rebounds were established for UNC tonight.

The good news is that neuroplasticity in the brain and the ability to grow new grey matter is a relatively recent discovery. Before that, it was assumed it was impossible.

So maybe in like manner the Cuse could rebound(not sure if I intended the pun or not, was multitasking) and reach that dream land again. Again, Pink Floyd addresses the subject, this time in the song "High Hopes": (you guys and this game inspired me to listen to this for the first time in probably decades, so that's something I have to be grateful for)

Looking beyond the embers of bridges glowing behind us
To a glimpse of how green it was on the other side
Steps taken forwards but sleepwalking back again
Dragged by the force of some inner tide

At a higher altitude with flag unfurled
We reached the dizzy heights of that dreamed of world

Encumbered forever by desire and ambition
There's a hunger still unsatisfied
Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon
Though down this road we've been so many times

The grass was greener
The light was brighter
The taste was sweeter
The nights of wonder
With friends surrounded
The dawn mist glowing
The water flowing
The endless river

Forever and ever
Love that song and the album it's on. Just went to see a band do a Dark Side of the Moon tribute last night.

We’re roughly where most prognosticators had us preseason, no?

For a few years we recruited big kids who could play defense, but couldn’t shoot, pass, or dribble.

Now we’re recruiting small, slow kids who can shoot and pass* but can’t play defense.

We haven’t had a first round pick in a few years, a lottery pick in longer.(MCW in ‘13?)

We need better players.

*occassionally, but very inconsistently.

We do need better talent. No more excuses.

I wasn’t surprised. The point was if we can’t beat that version of Carolina we never will.

Don’t kid yourself, joe is just as bad. But at least he’s got the short excuse

Advanced defensive stats have Girard as an average defender. His advanced D numbers are about the same as Battle’s last year.

I wonder how many games this year have equated to someone having a “career high in _____”. Without any research it was a career high 7 threes for Cole Anthony. I don’t care if they give up a lot of points but the career element for someone every time they play SU is not coincidental somehow

Career high for Brooks in rebounds, Keeling (who?) in points, and Anthony in 3-pointers.

This is definitely not a phenomenon limited to this year - it's been going on for years and years.

UNC had 3 players that could do anything offensively.

just face gaurd all 3.
5 defenders shouldnt let 3 players beat them.

but nope. they all get their career highs in something...and put up 90 something as a team.

its just so obvious that the defensive scheme su employed against unc was a recipe for disaster.

UNC had 3 players that could do anything offensively.

just face gaurd all 3.
5 defenders shouldnt let 3 players beat them.

but nope. they all get their career highs in something...and put up 90 something as a team.

its just so obvious that the defensive scheme su employed against unc was a recipe for disaster.

It’s not the scheme, it’s the players. We lack athleticism at critical spots. Imagine one of our guards trying to check Anthony in M2M. We need to recruit better.

It’s not the scheme, it’s the players. We lack athleticism at critical spots. Imagine one of our guards trying to check Anthony in M2M. We need to recruit better.

It’s the scheme against UNC. They shred us no matter who the players are. Every game is the same. They were 7-10 with Anthony in the lineup until yesterday. The biggest issue is our teams are weak inside every year. Again BC beat them on their home court when they were full strength.

Notre Dame ain’t great at perimeter defense, but even they held them under 80 because they have size in the paint.

It’s the scheme against UNC. They shred us no matter who the players are. Every game is the same. They were 7-10 with Anthony in the lineup until yesterday. The biggest issue is our teams are weak inside every year. Again BC beat them on their home court when they were full strength.

Agree. I would call that team construction more than scheme. We recruit skinny front line guys to cover ground in the zone and they bully us down low and on the boards with 6’10” monsters.

I mean, they are a top 5 team in terms of talent during that stretch, so not shocking, but it certainly exposes our weaknesses in particular. Pitt and UConn had stretches of doing this against us in the BE.

hughes gaurds anthony. sidibe only guards brooks and doesnt think of the corner 3. anyone else gaurds keeling. face gaurding. i doubt they score 90 if that is the case. yeah brooks is going to get his...but all of anthonys 3s were WIDE OPEN...he was taking the weather report and lining up his shots before shooting...that has nothing to do with athleticism but scheme, imo.

hughes gaurds anthony. sidibe only guards brooks and doesnt think of the corner 3. anyone else gaurds keeling. face gaurding. i doubt they score 90 if that is the case. yeah brooks is going to get his...but all of anthonys 3s were WIDE OPEN...he was taking the weather report and lining up his shots before shooting...that has nothing to do with athleticism but scheme, imo.

Put MCW and Waiters at the top of that zone and watch the space shrink. We have regularly been in the top 20 in defensive efficiency over the past 15 years. We just need better players to execute it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom