Most significant player in Syracuse history | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Most significant player in Syracuse history

in short shorts, huggies or the Jordan/Fab 5 era long shorts??

need to be more specific as we head off into the summer.

you could've had 3 threads out this...

Pearl. He built the dome. Without him the dome never becomes The Dome.

He also hit Ewing with that forearm shiver so that gives him a +1 over anyone else who could be mentioned.

I remember that. I was there. Ewing hit him as he was making a cut, Pearl replied in kind. Georgetown and Ewing had the reputation as the brooding, angry, us against the world bullies. The crowd was taken aback at first, as though he had tugged on supermans cape. Then there was pride and invigoration. Maybe we are superman. He was not afraid. It was indeed a defining moment. That's how I remember it anyway. Great pride. PEARL. Thank you for bringing it up.

Stevie Thompson is in here somewhere.
(Top 3-5).
I remember years after his last Orange bucket, Billy Packer calling Stevie the greatest finisher he had ever seen in college basketball.
Him out on the break gave Syracuse a great identity.

The Carrier Dome and if by player you mean something more than a guy on the court then I would have to say Dave Gavitt who put the Big East together and put in play..... these 2 things gave Syracuse and Jim Boeheim the opportunity
to be The Syracuse of today.

Last edited:
The Carrier Dome and if by player you mean something more than a guy on the court then I would have to say Dave Gavitt who put the Big East together and put in play... these 2 things gave Syracuse and Jim Boeheim the opportunity
to be The Syracuse of today.
And Pearl!

It has to be Pearl. There may have been better players, or a player that helped win a title, but for a player that had the most influence in the direction of the program, it's Pearl. That's when it really started.

There are so many ways and factors to answer this, but if you really think about it, doesn't it have to be JB?

I'd have to go with Bing. He played before I was born, but put Syracuse on the map for basketball. Averaged at least 20 points each year, including a sick 28-7-11 his senior year. As much as I love Pearl and Melo, I've got to go with Bing.

Players wanted to play in the Dome because of Pearl he started it all, its hard to say (except JB) that someone who played in 1966 is our most significant player ever in my humble opinion.

Players wanted to play in the Dome because of Pearl he started it all, its hard to say (except JB) that someone who played in 1966 is our most significant player ever in my humble opinion.

Players wouldn't want to play in the Dome if it wasn't for Pearl? I don't believe that for a second.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom