Most significant player in Syracuse history | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Most significant player in Syracuse history

So is it fair to say our Basketball Mount Rushmore is Boeheim, Bing, Pearl, and Melo?
We have a thread on this every year about this time... And you nailed it.

And we need an extra statue or two for Sherm, Moten, and Wallace.:)

How anyone could put someone besides Melo as #1 is insane. Sports are about titles. Nothing more. Without Melo we would have zero. We wouldn't be able to look at our coach or program the same way. Pearl is a good choice but he didn't win a ship.

Melo also donated tons and helped give us a great recruiting tool in the Melo Center.

Post #1. Off and running !

How anyone could put someone besides Melo as #1 is insane. Sports are about titles. Nothing more. Without Melo we would have zero. We wouldn't be able to look at our coach or program the same way. Pearl is a good choice but he didn't win a ship.

Melo also donated tons and helped give us a great recruiting tool in the Melo Center.

I get it, but maybe Melo doesn't even come here if Pearl doesn't take us into the stratosphere of CBB.

Good first post. I agree. Without Melo, we would lack legitimacy as an elite program, fair or not.

How could we say "it's such and such o clock and Georgetown still sucks" with a straight face if we had zero titles?

Last edited:

Happy to give you your first like. JB would be closer tim Gene Keady or Eddie Sutton without Melo.

I get it, but maybe Melo doesn't even come here if Pearl doesn't take us into the stratosphere of CBB.

Not like we would've put 4 guys on the court if he went somewhere else. :noidea:

Not like we would've put 4 guys on the court if he went somewhere else. :noidea:

But Cuse became cool and must see TV because of Pearl. To the best of my knowledge, St Boneventure has always put 5 on the court. They arent Syracuse.

But Cuse became cool and must see TV because of Pearl. To the best of my knowledge, St Boneventure has always put 5 on the court. They arent Syracuse.
Yeah, this is what I meant ^ ^ ^ . Not that we wouldn't have won, but he caused a huge buzz about the program (televised commitment announcement with Al McGuire, for example). In terms of the long-range status of the program, his name and performances were (IMO) nearly as important as the wins the team piled up.

JB was still pulling in players. I get it and all but the whole university has ridden Melo like Secretariat with the title.

JB was still pulling in players. I get it and all but the whole university has ridden Melo like Secretariat with the title.

The entire culture and perception of Syracuse basketball changed after 2003. Boeheim went from being an unliked curmudgeon to being a popular and well-liked curmudgeon. We started taking over opposing arenas with our fans which we didn't do in the 90s. The Dome literally became more orange (if you look at pictures in the late 90s people tended not to wear orange to games. It was just a massive injection of excitement that still exists today.

The entire culture and perception of Syracuse basketball changed after 2003. Boeheim went from being an unliked curmudgeon to being a popular and well-liked curmudgeon. We started taking over opposing arenas with our fans which we didn't do in the 90s. The Dome literally became more orange (if you look at pictures in the late 90s people tended not to wear orange to games. It was just a massive injection of excitement that still exists today.

Yes and No... some of that was intentional by the University. Our colors were Blue and Orange in the 90's in the 2000's we became Orange. The color of the fans changed the same time the color of the court changed.

Makes you believe in subliminal messaging now, doesnt it?

Last edited:
Maybe. Maybe not. But those are unknowns. Melo brought us our crown achievement as a program. That is a fact.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom