Most significant player in Syracuse history | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Most significant player in Syracuse history

Much respect, sir. However, it can't be quantified by record, I don't think. Roy Danforth used Syracuses success in the short term, to launch himself into a better job at Tulane. What happened between then and now to make that statement funny and astonishing is attributable to a lot of factors. Why Pearl stands out to me is that he was the first player- at a point in time when recruiting was becoming more visible and was being followed -who everybody wanted. He chose us. That created a kind of intangible breakthrough which arguably could have lead to Owens and Anthony.

The record is hardly irrelevant. And, as you say, (and I said), what happened after Danforth left is attributable to a lot of factors. What happened to get us going in the 60's is primarily attributed to one.

We have two Hall of Famers. The choice is between the two.

They were all great and highly significant players but none had the impact on the program of Dave Bing.[/QUOTE]

carmelo anthony did indeed finally bring us the national title. we at least can all agree on that ?

The record is hardly irrelevant. And, as you say, (and I said), what happened after Danforth left is attributable to a lot of factors. What happened to get us going in the 60's is primarily attributed to one.
I don't think I said the record is irrelevant. What I said is that the question of impact on a program can't be quantified by wins and losses in that fashion. Bing was unbelievable. Pearl arrival coincided happily with the explosion in TV coverage and was intertwined with the supernova that was the 80's Big East. Your work is enviable and very much appreciated. Wins and losses may very well be the best gauge of a players impact. Obviously there is no right or wrong answer. I wasn't there for Bing, and I was for Pearl. What I felt is that Pearl elevated the program with his choosing us, and yes, with his forearm shiver of Ewing, to where we felt we stood toe to toe with the giants. Our program has felt that way ever since. That feeling is how I would choose to gauge his impact. There are a lot of great compelling choices on here. Yours is one. This is mine.

They were all great and highly significant players but none had the impact on the program of Dave Bing.

carmelo anthony did indeed finally bring us the national title. we at least can all agree on that ?[/QUOTE]

Yes, but we were the same program afterwards as before. Pearl helped to elevate the program and Bing took it off the floor.

I don't think I said the record is irrelevant. What I said is that the question of impact on a program can't be quantified by wins and losses in that fashion. Bing was unbelievable. Pearl arrival coincided happily with the explosion in TV coverage and was intertwined with the supernova that was the 80's Big East. Your work is enviable and very much appreciated. Wins and losses may very well be the best gauge of a players impact. Obviously there is no right or wrong answer. I wasn't there for Bing, and I was for Pearl. What I felt is that Pearl elevated the program with his choosing us, and yes, with his forearm shiver of Ewing, to where we felt we stood toe to toe with the giants. Our program has felt that way ever since. That feeling is how I would choose to gauge his impact. There are a lot of great compelling choices on here. Yours is one. This is mine.

Of course it can. I agree that it's not the only measure. Just the primary one. Pearl clearly elevated the program. Bing resuscitated it.

This goes against my opinion from earlier in the thread but I think I agree with SWC now. There are some guys who built on what was before them to take us to the next level, but Bing really started it all.

This goes against my opinion from earlier in the thread but I think I agree with SWC now. There are some guys who built on what was before them to take us to the next level, but Bing really started it all.
Bing lifted SU basketball out of an abyss, but the program had a significant and successful history before that.

Bing lifted SU basketball out of an abyss, but the program had a significant and successful history before that.

I'm definitely aware of that. We didn't get to be 6 in wins just with the JB years. It's just interesting to think what would have happened if Bing hadn't come with the trajectory the program was on at the time.

I'm definitely aware of that. We didn't get to be 6 in wins just with the JB years. It's just interesting to think what would have happened if Bing hadn't come with the trajectory the program was on at the time.
I'd rather not think about that, as he most certainly positioned the program for what was to follow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom