My Early Spring Two Deep (Offense) | Syracusefan.com

My Early Spring Two Deep (Offense)

steve deberg

Scout Team
With all the flux in the program lately, there hasn't been much talk about our actual players on the roster. Figure I'd try to bring us a new topic of discussion. I have no inside info, this is all just one poster's opinion. I'll do the defence later today.

Position
1st String
2nd String
3rd (if relevant)

QB:
Loeb (RSr)
Hunt (RSo)
Allen (Fr)

RB:
Smith (RJr)
Gulley (RSr)
Morris (RFr)

X (Split)
Funderburk (RSo)
Flemming (RJr)
Hale (RSo)

Y (TE)
Wales (Sr)
Thompson (RFr)
Parris (RFr)

LT:
Knapp (RFr)
Robinson (RSo)

LG:
Foy (RSo)
Palmer (RFr)

C:
McPherson (Sr)
Emerich (RFr)

RG:
Trudo (RSo)
Miller (Jr)

RT:
Hickey (RJr)
Phillips (RSr)

W (Slot):
West (RJr)
Lewis (RFr)
Cornelius (RFr)

Z (Flanker):
Foster (RSo)
Kobena (Jr)
Clark (Sr)

Broyld: As you can see, Slashton was left off my 2-deep. After seeing how he was used this year, I honestly don't know where to expect to see him on the field. He is clearly a good athlete with a great frame to work with. I could see him excelling at a number of positiions (TE, Z, LB, DE... QB?). I just don't know what the staff is thinking.

QB: RGLCL is the elder statesmen amongst the group and will have the inside track to be the starter. Hunt's athletic ability has been much discussed but for several reasons we have yet to see him take off. Allen will start spring ball battling behind these two. Unless Allen wins the starting gig, I expect to see him red shirt, even if he may be better than Hunt now.

RB: 1 and 1A will be the two-headed monster of Smith and Gulley. After what will hopefully be two good offseasons, we should have one of our most complimentary RB tandems in awhile. It is obvious most on this board believe Morris is the most naturally talented and complete RB on our roster, I am no different. I don't expect AAM to be much of a factor outside of the "tank" package and I wouldn't be surprised to see McFarlane moved back to safety.

TE: Wales has quietly crept onto the top ten list for receptions for SU TE. He may lose some targets to the young guys but expect him to be very solid in his Sr year. Thompson was one of the most heralded recuits of the Marrone era. He looked every bit the part in training camp before he was shut down for his surgery. Assuming he is healthy, I expect him to be a big matchup advantage for us going into the ACC. If it wasn't for Thompson, we would have been hearing Josh Parris' name a lot more last fall. Another solid athlete with good size who should give us the deepest and most athletic set of TE's we have had here in awhile.

WR: Replacing the production of two veteran guys in Lemon and Sales is never easy. There is a solid collection of talent waiting to try, though. Funderburk transferred in from Arkansas and, although a transfer, would have been the most high profile recruit Doug got out of HS. After red-shirting this past season, expect him to take over for Sales' spot on the outside. West had a solid year as the #3 option in one of the best offenses in the country. He will likely play Lemon's slot position and give us a reliable, experienced, pair of hands to move the chains. Foster earned some playing time as a true freshman two seasons ago and was apparently one of our best in spring ball last season. He missed this past season with the uber-specific "lower body injury" but got his redshirt year back because of it. If he can come back healthy he should fill the Z spot nicely. Kobena and Clark are both burners of a smaller stature. They both made a few big plays this year but didn't get many targets and were hampered by some injuries. Hopefully one of these guys, along with Funerburk, can be a good consistent deep threat. Ben Lewis got rave reviews in training camp and apparently has a knack for making circus catches. I see him turning into a great slot receiver down the road. Cornelius was the NYS HS player of the year but, like Lewis, may need to wait to make a sizeable impact. Hale was the Tennessee state high-jump champ his Sr. year and has a good frame at 6'2 190. His lack of PT can be explained by the veterans that were ahead of him. Hopefully he can make a contribution next season.

OL: Quickly went from a part-time weakness to the most efficient and effective unit in the BE. Losing the left side in Pugh and Chibane will hurt, but we have been stock-piling some solid talent over the last few seasons. If lefty-Loeb is the starter, the line responsibilities flip. I expect, for continuities sake, that Hickey and Trudo will stay on the right side. Watching those two work together for the next two seasons will be fun. McPherson, who we can can only assume checked this board for motivation, has proven all of the doubters (and there were many) wrong. He has clearly worked his tail off and shattered the ceiling for potential we placed over his head. Macky may be my favourite Orangeman. The left side of the offensive line will probably be the most heated battle to watch for in training camp. Phillips, Foy and Robinson have earned some playing time. Miller is a JUCO tuna fish coming in and Kyle Knapp and Omari Palmer earned high praise in the fall. I expect Knapp to follow in the foot-steps of Pugh and take over the left-side (not Loeb's blind side) as a red-shirt freshman. Palmer will definitely get a lot of first-team reps and be given a chance to beat out Foy for the LG spot. Emerich may be given a look at G but I expect him to settle in as good back-up behind Mackey and hit the ground running as the starter in our second ACC season.

Sorry for the lenghty post, HCSS just got me all fired up!! I'm all in!!

With Shafer at HC, I think we could see Broyld moved to the other side of the ball.

I will be very interested in the QB battle. Seems they will all be learning a new system starting in the spring. I guess it will be the one that picks it up the fastest no matter what age or year that player is. No reason to play Loeb or Hunt over Allen or Wilson if they are better in this system.

I thought Loeb was a slam dunk to start the season as the starter if Hackett and that system is in place. But it is not so it is wide open IMO.

We had a couple of great safeties in the Mcnabb years, Donovin Darius SS 6-1-225 drafted rd 1 -25 played 10 years, Tebucky Jones FS 6-2-220 drafted rd 1-22 played 9 years. I would like to see Hunt and Broyld moved to safety if the don't end up at QB. Terrel Hunt 6-3-203, Ashton Broyld 6-4-229, they could anchor our defense just like Darius and Jones did. People only came over the middle once when they were here, and if they came a second time they started short-arming the ball. Darius and Jones had the size to punish wide receivers, and take on tight ends.

tumblr_llp4jzoVgi1qgeyd8o1_500.gif

Listen here, everyone: Bnoro has nailed it at the RB slot. Keep your eyes on Morris. He is the best natural back on the team. I hope he's right on Thompson. A lot of injured players made the trip to NYC. He was not among them. Then again, I'm a negative nancy . . . not that there's anything wrong with that.

Listen here, everyone: Bnoro has nailed it at the RB slot. Keep your eyes on Morris. He is the best natural back on the team. I hope he's right on Thompson. A lot of injured players made the trip to NYC. He was not among them. Then again, I'm a negative nancy . . . not that there's anything wrong with that.
Hey Dave, don't want to take credit for Steve Deberg's fantastic post so I'll forward your credit to him haha...

Dave - you think Thompson is contemplating transferring?

It was rumored there might be a player transfer who'd upset us. People throughout the usual suspect (Broyld) but this is the kid who would be disappointing to lose to transfer.

By they way I think this depth chart with the old staff is dead on. New offensive coaches might see things a bit differently with regards to 1st and 2nd string but this is it.

Hey Dave, don't want to take credit for Steve Deberg's fantastic post so I'll forward your credit to him haha...

Shhh..

Jerome has 2 years remaining?
Jerome must petition and win an NCAA petition for that to happen...no clue on how likely that is to happen and i certainly think if Smith sees himself as a pro prospect i wouldnt expect him to pursue that second year

Great post and hard to argue with anything really. If Loeb is the QB, I think you nailed the OL. But if Hunt or a frosh gets the QB job, I wonder if your 2 best OL, Trudo and Hickey, get moved to the left side.

With all the hype on Morris, and most is legit, I wonder how you get him carries. Smith and Gulley did a great great job 2nd haqlf of the season. I wonder if that is why there had been rumors of ZSmith trying the NFL? Maybe the players know Morris is stepping in next year? That may or may not change with a new staff. But if Morris is all that, I would prefer to see him take Gulley carries. Smith is so much different than the rest of the guys that he gives us something unigue. Morris seems to be to be a Gulley type but hopefully even better.

Cool post, Steve.

On the OL: with Macky being a senior, it makes sense to have a player like Emerich spell him this year, with the potential to move in as a three year starter. But the interior of the line is clearly going to be a strength, with players like Trudo, Macky, Palmer, Foy, and Miller [only losing Macky].

OT lacks in numbers and quality. I wonder if Emerich--who we initially recruited as an OT--shifts back outside to bolster depth there.

Will be an interesting spring.

It was rumored there might be a player transfer who'd upset us. People throughout the usual suspect (Broyld) but this is the kid who would be disappointing to lose to transfer.

By they way I think this depth chart with the old staff is dead on. New offensive coaches might see things a bit differently with regards to 1st and 2nd string but this is it.
Thompson is a Wheatley recruit, and if Wheatley's staying then so is Ron I would say. Also, not sure why he'd transfer, it's not like he could actually play last year.

DaveR, why dont we hire you as the writer for this site? not sure how the salary would run. Also 24/7 Sports is looking for an SU writer for their site they said they would start one but need a writer. They wanted anyone intrested to email them.

Great post and hard to argue with anything really. If Loeb is the QB, I think you nailed the OL. But if Hunt or a frosh gets the QB job, I wonder if your 2 best OL, Trudo and Hickey, get moved to the left side.

With all the hype on Morris, and most is legit, I wonder how you get him carries. Smith and Gulley did a great great job 2nd haqlf of the season. I wonder if that is why there had been rumors of ZSmith trying the NFL? Maybe the players know Morris is stepping in next year? That may or may not change with a new staff. But if Morris is all that, I would prefer to see him take Gulley carries. Smith is so much different than the rest of the guys that he gives us something unigue. Morris seems to be to be a Gulley type but hopefully even better.

Morris can get carries if he blows away the field this spring.

Certain guys should be licking their chops to get a fresh start with a new offensive staff. Everybody behind Loeb. The WRs. Certain offensive lineman like Phillips, Robinson and Foy.

This is going to make for a real competitive spring and august.

I have no idea. I' m more concerned that the injury is Bo Jackson-like career-threatening, but I swear I have NOTHING to back that up (well, almost nothing).

I would also not count out Nick Robinson at OT. Kid is very tough. And I know for a fact the "rumor" about Adkins is false . . . as of right now. Could change in 5 minutes. That's life in this whacked out business.

Morris can get carries if he blows away the field this spring.

Certain guys should be licking their chops to get a fresh start with a new offensive staff. Everybody behind Loeb. The WRs. Certain offensive lineman like Phillips, Robinson and Foy.

This is going to make for a real competitive spring and august.
Would not be surprised one bit to see Hickey back at LT. I'm not sold on Charley being the guy, but he will have a shot.

I would also not count out Nick Robinson at OT. Kid is very tough. And I know for a fact the "rumor" about Adkins is false . . . as of right now. Could change in 5 minutes. That's life in this whacked out business.

As in, he's staying?? Great news if true.

Jerome must petition and win an NCAA petition for that to happen...no clue on how likely that is to happen and i certainly think if Smith sees himself as a pro prospect i wouldnt expect him to pursue that second year

Big difference between medical waiver and transfer waiver. He played in two games before being hurt. I would think that if Smith wants to come back for a 5th season, he will surely get the waiver.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom