My Goodness, this is heartbreaking | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

My Goodness, this is heartbreaking

or, you could allow a decent interval to pay some respects first, before eagerly diving into the gore . . . your very first post on the topic was not condolences, but right straight to the politics.

if you think this issue isn't discussed in civil society, then you have your head buried in the sand.

and, fcuk, now I am drawn into it.

full disclosure: I own a shotgun; we keep it at our ranch for snakes & such. Other than that, I have no interest in guns. I am not a member of the NRA.
[quote="shandeezy7, post: 449856, member: 720"

Yet every time something like this happens, it's deemed to be the "wrong time" to talk about an issue that obviously warrants some discussion.
you can't see why some people would like a decent interval before we start the argument?

and, on the other side, there are people who actually like it when a gun tragedy happens, because they can get on their high horse and start their lectures.

I am happy to hear the lectures. I am happy to engage with them. But not fcuking now.[/quote]
We should of had this conversation after Columbine after VT after Oregon after evry day in Chicago etc. I believe we don't want to live in America where this is happening. We mourn we pray but then nothing is done. Its not a lecture but rather a crying out of a need to put an end of this violence.

Of course there is a reaon not to allow automatic guns that fire rounds in that number. It's not for protection. I support a person's right to own a gun for protection. It's not for gaming. I support a hunters right to use a rifle to hunt. A automatic weapon is for killing as many people as you can. There is no need for that in our society.

You understand, of course, that the type of weapon you are talking about is already illegal, right? The first logical step in any debate would seem to be for people on both sides to have a basic understanding of the topic. I doubt very many people who have passionate opinions against guns have any idea what the current laws are nor do they understand the different types of guns and the relationship of this to the percieved or real threat such weapons can potentially pose.

A larger question than guns is: can any law be so air tight that it foresees and prevents unimaginable events like this one? Even in prison, people are murdered... Do laws prevent crimes or simply offer a deterrent to criminals? If they prevent crimes, how do they do it? By removing the criminal from society before he repeats his offenses? We know that is not the case because all of these shootings are one time events and almost always leave the criminal dead.

I don't know. I'm just sick about so many innocent kids. This is a level even worse than the high school shootings where bullying was a key component. Kids this young are nothing but pure innocence. It's awful.

Did I say anything about banning guns? I said I was in favor of hunting rifles and handguns. One is used for gaming and the other is used for protection. What is the purpose of automatic weapons besides killing as many people as you can?

I have no idea. Like I said, I hate guns and have never owned one and I doubt I ever will. I don't even know if automatic weapons are legal in Connecticut. All I do know is that they would still exist if they were made illegal, and psychos would still use them.

Actually none of the 22 were killed.
So...
That's that.

Thank god..

So if the kids in CT were only injured, it wouldnt be a big deal? Its possible to kill with a knife, and possible to just injure with a gun

I have no idea. Like I said, I hate guns and have never owned one and I doubt I ever will. I don't even know if automatic weapons are legal in Connecticut. All I do know is that they would still exist if they were made illegal, and psychos would still use them.

But they do so much less frequently in other developed countries where they are illegal. (Also, as someone nicely pointed out on the first page, the fact that some people will try to break a law does not mean that we shouldn't have a law.)

All of the early american wars fought on american soil took place without nukes and airplanes. We say we are not living in those times but in asia, and the mideast they still are. A right to bear arms is important.

You understand, of course, that the type of weapon you are talking about is already illegal, right? The first logical step in any debate would seem to be for people on both sides to have a basic understanding of the topic. I doubt very many people who have passionate opinions against guns have any idea what the current laws are nor do they understand the different types of guns and the relationship of this to the percieved or real threat such weapons can potentially pose.

A larger question than guns is: can any law be so air tight that it foresees and prevents unimaginable events like this one? Even in prison, people are murdered... Do laws prevent crimes or simply offer a deterrent to criminals? If they prevent crimes, how do they do it? By removing the criminal from society before he repeats his offenses? We know that is not the case because all of these shootings are one time events and almost always leave the criminal dead.

I don't know. I'm just sick about so many innocent kids. This is a level even worse than the high school shootings where bullying was a key component. Kids this young are nothing but pure innocence. It's awful.
First, there is a move as I'm sure you are aware to recind the automatic ban. Second, a lot of weapons can be converted in to automatic weapons very easily.

Thank god..

So if the kids in CT were only injured, it wouldnt be a big deal? Its possible to kill with a knife, and possible to just injure with a gun

In a world of ty outcomes, injured is better than dead.

All of the early american wars fought on american soil took place without nukes and airplanes. We say we are not living in those times but in asia, and the mideast they still are. A right to bear arms is important.
huh? So let them have all the guns they want. What does that have to do with us?

Threads like this are why I'm starting to really hate this f**king board. Its like Syracuse.com is better than this friggin' place...

huh? So let them have all the guns they want. What does that have to do with us?

Why don't you sit this one out chief...you've already betrayed an embarassing lack of knowledge of our gun control laws.

In a world of ty outcomes, injured is better than dead.

I guess all I'm trying to say is, if a person is bound and determined to kill, he will. If guns are banned, if knives are banned, they will use another method.

Of course there is a reaon not to allow automatic guns that fire rounds in that number. It's not for protection. I support a person's right to own a gun for protection. It's not for gaming. I support a hunters right to use a rifle to hunt. A automatic weapon is for killing as many people as you can. There is no need for that in our society.

Or it's like a hobby. Like cars that go 150 miles an hour. Dangerous but fun. There are plenty of dangerous things that serve no purposs other than entertainment and they. Are not illegal.

Difference is, they were injured! The parents of all of those children got to say good night to their child that night!

I realize they were injured. But the reason they were injured isnt because they man used a knife.. Again, all I am saying, these things can still happen, no matter if guns are involved or not.

I guess all I'm trying to say is, if a person is bound and determined to kill, he will. If guns are banned, if knives are banned, they will use another method.
I agree.

I'd just rather have my crazies attacking with knives.

The crazies are ruining it for the rational gun owners, no doubt. But since they are out there, we gotta consider that part of the equation.

We could think of a few reasons not to.

I could think of reasons to make almost anything illegal
Doesn't they should be though. Why do we want more government. Control when they fail at almost Everything

Funny how you never hear of mass shootings in Texas. I wonder why that might be?

Don't blame the tools for the demonic handywork, blame the demon.

Um, Charles Whitman... ever hear of him and the Texas Bell Tower?? It was only the 4th deadliest mass shooting in American history.

How about Luby's Cafeteria in Killeen, Texas?? Apparently you don't remember the 2nd deadliest mass shooting in American history from back in 1991.

Certainly you must remember 2009's shooting at the Soldier Readiness Processing Center at Fort Hood, Texas... Only 13 dead in that one for the 8th deadliest shooting in American history.

That's 3 of the top 8 deadliest shootings in American history that happened in Texas.

Edit: Today's shooting bumps all shootings above down 1 spot. Meaning 3 of the top 9 are from Texas.

I agree.

I'd just rather have my crazies attacking with knives.

The crazies are ruining it for the rational gun owners, no doubt. But since they are out there, we gotta consider that part of the equation.

You're right. I just dont understand people. At least with PTSD (which is the cause of many deaths and suicides) you can normaly identify it, and their are a million ways to get help.

But you have no clue if the person sitting next to you is bat crazy, planning something.

I could think of reasons to make almost anything illegal
Doesn't they should be though. Why do we want more government. Control when they fail at almost Everything

I like your posts. Nearly all of them.

But these are a couple wild leaps that read more like a set of talking points than actual thoughts. This is most definitely not a question of "more government" or any such thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom