my JB info | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

my JB info

So I guess the recruiting must be OK.
I thought it was quite good for this freshman class. Hope we don’t lose all 3.

Marek and Edwards were certainly nice, hard working finds.

Guerrier was a solid recruit, and Griffin was a talented transfer addition.

Think this was our most talented team in awhile. Way better than last year, talent wise.

Think this was our most talented team in awhile. Way better than last year, talent wise.

yeah the board was pretty high on the class

Covid. Many games lost, and they were against superior teams. I figure the obvious wouldn't need to be stated here.
It's not so obvious to me when the team only lost one home game all year and many of the canceled games were at home. Plus I think they would have beat Louisville on the road. Doesn't matter and using the Parcels rule, SU had a good season.

Therein lies the rub. The "right time" can be very subjective.
As long as he keeps making the Dance & getting into the 2nd weekend, he'll get to call his own shot. There are programs that would kill to have that type of "problem"...only getting to the Sweet16/Elite8 every other year, and never having a losing record. Woe is us! LOL
thats a fair point i agree.
For me its not just the on the court results which havent been great lately but their cinderella come thw tourney. There are some of the off the court things that i disagree from time to time. I guess u can say inability to adapt, rotation is another one! Or lack their of i should say. The kadary richmond transfer still really bothers me and obviously im not there behind the scenes but just a feeling that lack of mins could have been a factor or THE factor,who knows, bnut i can say this with confidence that richmond is much better than girard. The switch should have been made but whats ya gonna do its over. Need to restock the roster! Also i have nothing against girard, could have been a very good 6th man! Going back to JB if in fact that was the reason he transferred oi put that on boeheim.
listen to summarize JB is obviously one of the best but IMO he can be sometimes his own worst enemy. A lil more flexibility with coach n i dont think i need to elaborate on that ,im sure most know what im talking about but lets say for instance he did 'more flexible with rotation, defense, post game rants... We could be elite consistantly but food for thought.
boehiem is boeheim, certain personality quirks, not gonna change at this point. byut just speaking my mind. I mean i know we been successfull for so long so of course thiers appreciation

lt's right here. Sans Covid we're looking at minimum 13 again for 7th season in a row. Tough to actually absorb I know.

View attachment 199276
First--7 is not 10.

Plus, there is the minor detail of 2 Sweet 16's and a Final Four.

If you do stretch it out to 10, you pick up another Final Four and an Elite 8.

Last edited:
Everything your saying is pretty much true and yes I think you're right he is pretty much earned that right but at the same time I think he has responsibility to himself and the program to go out at the right time
I seriously don't get this comment. When is the "right time" as Boeheim sees it?

He told you: when he can't win any more. He doesn't want to be in his position when he's not able to attract the kind of talent that he can coach into wins. What about that gives you a concern about his sense of responsibility?

It sounds like a perfectly acceptable plan to me. If he stops winning, he steps aside and gives somebody else a shot at it.

Yet...you're concerned...

What could possibly worry you? Perhaps that he might mistakenly think he has a chance to keep winning for a couple of years before it is beyond any doubt that he cannot? It that what worries you so much?

I think that's what we're talking about when we say Jim has earned the right to go out on his own terms. Yeah, there's a chance he might finally have that losing season and decide to stay another year beyond that because he thinks he can rebound--but ultimately can't--but why isn't that OK?

I would encourage a more complete Acceptance for all those who worry about how/when Jim leaves the stage. You'll enjoy more peace of mind, IMO...

Not last couple. We're approaching ten years now, and we're running a string of 13-15 loss years and inability to recruit at center position, crucial to the zone.
Looks closer to 6 years and that streak ended last year.

Coincidentally the sanctions that reduced scholarships and recruiting visits was during that streak but of course they had nothing to do with that slump.

I seriously don't get this comment. When is the "right time" as Boeheim sees it?

He told you: when he can't win any more. He doesn't want to be in his position when he's not able to attract the kind of talent that he can coach into wins. What about that gives you a concern about his sense of responsibility?

It sounds like a perfectly acceptable plan to me. If he stops winning, he steps aside and gives somebody else a shot at it.

What could possibly worry you? Perhaps that he might mistakenly think he has a chance to keep winning for a couple of years before it is beyond any doubt that he cannot? It that what worries you so much?

I think that's what we're talking about when we say Jim has earned the right to go out on his own terms. Yeah, there's a chance he might finally have that losing season and decide to stay another year beyond that because he thinks he can rebound--but ultimately can't--but why isn't that OK?

I would encourage a more complete Acceptance for all those who worry about how/when Jim leaves the stage. You'll enjoy more peace of mind, IMO...
what does “he can’t win anymore” mean though?

If it’s first time hes under 500? Doesn’t make the tourney?

im fine if he wants to go out on his own terms...what are the terms

I guess we're finally putting the probation era in the rear view mirror.

Ha ha ha, back then they let idiots like me in there. My daughter went there when it was a “smart” school...but it certainly wasn’t anywhere near as fun! Thank god cell phones weren’t around back in the day, it was a crazy time where you could get away with insane s@!?!!!!!
Always loved Waldo’s when I could see straight on the way down the hill!

Covid. Many games lost, and they were against superior teams. I figure the obvious wouldn't need to be stated here.
Let's do another fact check.

"Many games lost"? How about 4. 2 home--FSU and UL; 2 on the road--Wake and UL.

Those are all "superior" teams? I think not. The most likely outcome here is 2-2. Your "obvious" is not necessarily anyone else's.

what does “he can’t win anymore” mean though?

If it’s first time hes under 500? Doesn’t make the tourney?

im fine if he wants to go out on his own terms...what are the terms
What if "he can't win anymore" means being sub-500 AND missing the tourney for 2 consecutive years? Would you find that to be intolerable?

What I find telling about this entire "concern" is that it seems to exist entirely in a world of abstraction, having no connection whatsoever to current realities. This season was not a failure, it was an impressive success by almost anyone's standards.

Right now, following that success, he has a solid returning cast with more experience at the Center spot than he had to work with this year plus the addition of an Elite Talent in the form of Benny.

Pearl-clutching over a concern that--out of the blue--Boeheim's gonna suddenly forget how to coach is a "half-empty" habit-of-mind I just can't relate to...

What if "he can't win anymore" means being sub-500 AND missing the tourney for 2 consecutive years? Would you find that to be intolerable?

What I find telling about this entire "concern" is that it seems to exist entirely in a world of abstraction, having no connection whatsoever to current realities. This season was not a failure, it was an impressive success by almost anyone's standards.

Right now, following that success, he has a solid returning cast with more experience at the Center spot than he had to work with this year plus the addition of an Elite Talent in the form of Benny.

Pearl-clutching over a concern that--out of the blue--Boeheim's gonna suddenly forget how to coach is a "half-empty" habit-of-mind I just can't relate to...
Solid returning cast? Do we know that yet?

Im waiting to see what Quincy, Griff, and Marek do. I suspect they’re all gone, but who knows.

If it’s just Buddy, Joe, and Jesse, I wouldn’t call that solid at all.

I never said the season was a failure, it was overall a success.
the offseason so far, doesn’t look great, but you don’t get judged on the offseason, I agree

so back to the matter at hand...can’t you just answer the question? I didn’t think it was unreasonable at all. What does “he can’t win anymore” mean to YOU? no pearl clutching here, these were your words that you haven’t yet defined

”If he stops winning, he steps aside and gives somebody else a shot at it.”

whats “stops winning“ mean?

Do I really have to explain to you what right time means for the most part . You know what it means! There has been many examples of this same scenario take Bobby bowden for example perfect example in this situation that's what I don't want all right get it.
What is funny and frustrating at the same time with guys like you is you think JB can do no wrong can walk on water . Anytime somebody questions anything he does there's like this huge uproar with his disciples I'll call em.
Know what I hope your right, that he sticks to his word but I'm not really convinced because" Mike hopkins" was the successor, all planned out ready to go and he backed out on his word so he took off and went to Washington So things like that make me wonder If he is gonna do whats right for the program when it's time for him to step down and move on

I will pretty much put it like this period JB is not perfect And to be completely honest he probably would have a few more titles or be much more successful consistently at a high level if he wasn't so stubborn and arrogant which may have cost us kaday Richmond. I know some people are thinking about that so I'll come out and say it because it definitely crossed my mind and I don't appreciate that! I don't care How many winning seasons he has had When it comes to this because I think he may begin to much of a big head Kama stop trashing your players at post games confs, Learn how to adat when it comes to rotation Because everybody could obviously see that as a brain knows that Jesse Edwards was ready to play . JB saying he wasn't was completely ridiculous

Even equating him as a one is - seriously who said he was a god other than you?
Yep, the resentment is strong there. He’s not getting the performance he deserves and Boeheim is the one keeping it from him.

if he would just leave already nothing but thirty win seasons and championships forever

First--7 is not 10.

Plus, there is the minor detail of 2 Sweet 16's and a Final Four.

If you do stretch it out to 10, you pick up another Final Four and an Elite 8.
Yep

I never said the season was a failure, it was overall a success.
the offseason so far, doesn’t look great, but you don’t get judged on the offseason, I agree

so back to the matter at hand...can’t you just answer the question? I didn’t think it was unreasonable at all. What does “he can’t win anymore” mean to YOU? no pearl clutching here, these were your words that you haven’t yet defined

”If he stops winning, he steps aside and gives somebody else a shot at it.”

whats “stops winning“ mean?

Yeah, "winning" is rather broad. I remember thinking to myself when he gave that interview on ESPN Sweet 16 week and commented on Warren Buffet being in his late 80's being still able, etc. Jim stated all he has to do is "talk" and it's not as if he needed to physically exert himself. I remember thinking, hmm, maybe these players of his that he is just "talking" to when coaching, would actually like/prefer their head coach to be able to get in the mix, demonstrate, hands on, etc.

Additionally, when he stated he'll coach until "he can't win anymore" I thought to myself, that's interesting, because what has Syracuse "won" recently? When was the last time Syracuse won a regular season confference title or conference tournament title? Or, for that matter, even been close to "winning" one? What actually defines "winning?"

In any event, that was just my thinking when I heard the interview.

Yep, the resentment is strong there. He’s not getting the performance he deserves and Boeheim is the one keeping it from him.

if he would just leave already nothing but thirty win seasons and championships forever

Yeah, "winning" is rather broad. I remember thinking to myself when he gave that interview on ESPN Sweet 16 week and commented on Warren Buffet being in his late 80's being still able, etc. Jim stated all he has to do is "talk" and it's not as if he needed to physically exert himself. I remember thinking, hmm, maybe these players of his that he is just "talking" to when coaching, would actually like/prefer their head coach to be able to get in the mix, demonstrate, hands on, etc.

Additionally, when he stated he'll coach until "he can't win anymore" I thought to myself, that's interesting, because what has Syracuse "won" recently? When was the last time Syracuse won a regular season confference title or conference tournament title? Or, for that matter, even been close to "winning" one? What actually defines "winning?"

In any event, that was just my thinking when I heard the interview.
yep...I heard the same.

ftr, I’m not asking him to step down, be fired, I’m not demanding a final four every year or even 20 wins every year.

i want to know what ”he can’t win anymore” means to these people that using it.

my guess is it’s being used in the same way some players “arent ready” where there’s no answer on purpose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom