My Kingdom for a high school recruit verbal | Syracusefan.com

My Kingdom for a high school recruit verbal

CaliCuse

All American
While I am happy with the collection of JUCOS I would like to welcome some younger players in need and want of a college education for four years.

Check me if I'm wrong Sandy, but just because they are JUCOs doesn't mean they don't want four years of an education. They have been going to school, after all.

I'm still puzzled by Cali's Kingdom comment. I imagine Cali Kingdom being somewhat like this

Really didn't know what to think when I saw the title of this thread. I had to come in and explore further. :oops:

Let me try the always dangerous "interpret Cali post" task.

Objectively, the class looks so-so, started strong, really liked the class, then we fell behind in numbers against our peers.
Not all of them perhaps, but enough of them for some on this board to wonder where our recruits were?.

Then 5 JUCOs in a row, some with good other-school offers, but several without.

Does this mean we have missed with our high-schoolers and are onto plan B to fill out the class?
Couldn't this be the objective way to understand this years recruiting?

Let me try the always dangerous "interpret Cali post" task.

Objectively, the class looks so-so, started strong, really liked the class, then we fell behind in numbers against our peers.
Not all of them perhaps, but enough of them for some on this board to wonder where our recruits were?.

Then 5 JUCOs in a row, some with good other-school offers, but several without.

Does this mean we have missed with our high-schoolers and are onto plan B to fill out the class?

Other part of Cali's post (presumably) is that we are hanging with 3 good HS prospects who have visited but are yet to pull the trigger.

Plan B (flock of JUCOs) reflects some misses in last year's class (DEs, LBs, safeties, OT), as well as low numbers in HS recruiting this year. So, "best available" turns out to be the JUCO route.
It could turn out very well. We have a pitch to make at this stage (strong finish, bowl game, record setting offense) that we didn't have in the HS recruiting rounds. Give the coaches credit for this late push.

We are apparently aiming higher in our recruiting this year than in the past (in general). That means that we'll be going after kids with other solid options, rather than hidden gems. Kids with options are going to explore them and typically won't commit until near or close to signing day - except at selector schools that can say that room is running out. We can't say that with a straight face to our top recruits yet, so we have to wait them out.

Playing this game is nerve-wracking and dangerous, since we aren't going to get everybody on our A-list. Our options are to:
a) wait until signing day, then scramble to fill any holes;
b) line up verbals from some high school B-listers to hedge our bets;
c) bring in some JUCOs.

Hedging makes sense if there are backup plan players that you'd like and are afraid won't be available later on. But these are players that you'll hopefully recruit over and then have to keep around for four years. Some might develop beyond expectations, but I'd prefer filling those gaps (or potential gaps) with more experienced players that will contribute right away (or be gone sooner) if the move to the ACC opens up a higher recruiting level for us.

We are apparently aiming higher in our recruiting this year than in the past (in general). That means that we'll be going after kids with other solid options, rather than hidden gems. Kids with options are going to explore them and typically won't commit until near or close to signing day - except at selector schools that can say that room is running out. We can't say that with a straight face to our top recruits yet, so we have to wait them out.

Playing this game is nerve-wracking and dangerous, since we aren't going to get everybody on our A-list. Our options are to:
a) wait until signing day, then scramble to fill any holes;
b) line up verbals from some high school B-listers to hedge our bets;
c) bring in some JUCOs.

Hedging makes sense if there are backup plan players that you'd like and are afraid won't be available later on. ...I'd prefer filling those gaps (or potential gaps) with more experienced players that will contribute right away (or be gone sooner) if the move to the ACC opens up a higher recruiting level for us.

Pretty difficult to know if we are aiming higher (in HS recruiting) or just lost out in many recruiting battles to our rivals. We didn't have a lot of interest in the Spring or Summer when we put out a lot of offers to rising seniors. You can compare the commit lists for Rutgers, Pitt, WVa, Maryland and Cincy and draw your own conclusions.

Just a guess, but I suspect we close this class with 2 HS prospects we know about who have visited; 2 others that show up as surprises; and 3 more jucos from a list of those who have visited, or are lined up for January visits. It could be a nice class. And then next year, coming off a bowl game, we will be in better position with the current juniors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom