My Main Concern | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

My Main Concern

Let me repeat one quibble about the short-hands "4" and "5". On offense, JB mixes up what we wants from Lydon depending on the combinations and the defenses. It isn't apparent what people mean by the 5 (low post? high post? the one who sets high picks against a M2M?). Whatever the numbers, Lydon is very effective from the high post, and Thompson looks like he is a good scorer in the paint.

As for Thompson on the wing of the defense, give it a chance.

Can't speak for others, but when I refer to the "5" I mean the center of the 2-3.

JB's O is based more on the skill set of the particular players on the floor at any given time, and not so much "in this play the 5 does this, the 4 does X..."

The benefit of Lydon playing the 5 is the decision it "forces" opposing defenses to make in M2M. How many teams are going to have a 5 that can match up with Lydon on the perimeter?

Lydon could play center 30 mpg against 93% of the teams we face. We would be favored to outscore them. It's the other 7% that would be a mystery.

If Dajuan and Chuck are no better defensively those games why lose lydon's scoring, rebounding, and ability to open backdoor cuts/drives when you have Gillon/Howard/White/Battle?

Will Chuck and Dajaun show the ability to slow down opposing centers some so we can double and triple in the paint?
Big difference having Lydon and one of our bigs doubling vs lydon and someone else. And I look forward to watching Roberson trying to get hands in there and rip the ball out once in a while.

Don't count out chuck, a guy his size if he learns to spread those legs and can still recover baseline I would trade three blocks a game for that.

I gotta believe that JB will play Lydon at the 5 a lot in games that matter most. And not because he has to (foul trouble for DC PC), but because he can. Lydon at the 5 will always give JB the ability to put his best scoring O on the floor - and it's not even close.

The 2-3 is going to take longer to gel this year than we've grown accustomed to because 60% of the players on the floor are new to JB's system (I'm including PC in there due to lack of game experience). Offense will be at a premium when we play the big boys.

Right now I think Lydon feels most comfortable playing the 5, which also gives Cuse the best team available. Plus Chukwu won't play at all in the second half if he is not capable of making FT's. DC is still a wild card. I'll withhold judgement for a few games to see if he can stay out of foul trouble and how he does on both ends of the court.

I think we're underestimating Taurean Thompson. I would not be surprised to see him contribute 20+ minutes a game, about the same as Dajuan Coleman. I think he will earn more minutes than Chukwu. Only time will tell.

I think we're underestimating Taurean Thompson. I would not be surprised to see him contribute 20+ minutes a game, about the same as Dajuan Coleman. I think he will earn more minutes than Chukwu. Only time will tell.

10-12mpg is probably closer to what we'll see from Thompson, I think (barring injury of course). Chukwu and Coleman are going to see no less than 15 minutes a piece in most games. Chukwu might not be able to play late in games because of his foul shooting, but he's a key piece of our press and still the best rim protector on the team. With Lydon's ability to play some Center, there just aren't enough minutes to go around for Thompson.

10-12mpg is probably closer to what we'll see from Thompson, I think (barring injury of course). Chukwu and Coleman are going to see no less than 15 minutes a piece in most games. Chukwu might not be able to play late in games because of his foul shooting, but he's a key piece of our press and still the best rim protector on the team. With Lydon's ability to play some Center, there just aren't enough minutes to go around for Thompson.

I think Thompson is better than Coleman. If we really want to get up and down the floor this year, DC an PC are liabilities.

I think Thompson is better than Coleman. If we really want to get up and down the floor this year, DC an PC are liabilities.

To put this in perspective, one of the best transition teams we've had in a long time was the 09-10 team with Onuaku and Jackson often on the court at the same time. Neither of those guys were transition guys.

Thompson is more skilled than Coleman, yes. But Coleman is a senior with a wide body that is built for setting screens and hard to move in the low post. Thompson is a wiry freshman with some offensive potential, but not enough to warrant any plays being drawn up for him yet. Chukwu is 7'2" and that's about all he needs to be.

To put this in perspective, one of the best transition teams we've had in a long time was the 09-10 team with Onuaku and Jackson often on the court at the same time. Neither of those guys were transition guys.

Thompson is more skilled than Coleman, yes. But Coleman is a senior with a wide body that is built for setting screens and hard to move in the low post. Thompson is a wiry freshman with some offensive potential, but not enough to warrant any plays being drawn up for him yet. Chukwu is 7'2" and that's about all he needs to be.

Time will tell. I love D.C. (I'm a former JD grad) but he's not the guy you want on the floor IF you want to get up and down the floor. Thompson already has a better offensive game than D.C. He needs to get stronger, for sure. But I think he can play as well if not better than D.C. I hope they BOTH contribute because in the long run, that just means we have more depth. ✌️

This is what happens when you base an opinion on your centers off of two games against small D2 squads. Those where both guard games.

Lydon's ability to play the 5 is a boon. It will drive opposing coaches nuts. Sure a handful of teams are big enough to take advantage of that but 6-7, 6-9, 6-8 across the back line is not small.

Yeah, I agree with you here Jordoo. Playing teams like UNC last year will be an issue, but otherwise we will be fine.

Time will tell. I love D.C. (I'm a former JD grad) but he's not the guy you want on the floor IF you want to get up and down the floor. Thompson already has a better offensive game than D.C. He needs to get stronger, for sure. But I think he can play as well if not better than D.C. I hope they BOTH contribute because in the long run, that just means we have more depth. ✌️

It will all come down to Thompson's rebounding. That's the one thing Coleman does very well and it's essential for a good transition offense. If Thompson can rebound at Coleman's level, he might have something. If not, it's going to be hard for him to take minutes away because I think they're both about equally as effective scoring. Again, Chukwu's 15-ish mpg are safe because he's going to keep teams out of the paint which is invaluable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom