My Questions for tonight's Jim Boeheim Show | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

My Questions for tonight's Jim Boeheim Show

We beat Tech twice last year, including a blowout on the road at McCamish, and they basically have the same starting 5 as last year.
We aren't as good as last year.

I actually think he gave a good answer: you don't depart from you basic defense when you aren't playing it well. You adjust it or simply play it better. You don't switch to something you aren't good at. Man-to-man coaches don't switch to a zone when their teams are playing poorly. The zone can be many things depending on how you play it. If you aren't playing a zone well, it's usually because you are playing it too passively. You aren't going to do well suddenly chasing people around. I really think the issue is using the press proactively and then falling back into a zone as opposed to just playing zone.
Agreed. I’d like to see him use the press proactively, at an unexpected time to score a couple of quick baskets.

We aren't as good as last year.
bout the same, that team didn't beat a ranked team and wasn't very competitive on the road against good teams, this year less of a sample size but we trounced top-20 VaTech and won at a decent NCst

bout the same, that team didn't beat a ranked team and wasn't very competitive on the road against good teams, this year less of a sample size but we trounced top-20 VaTech and won at a decent NCst
We don't have the same talent. We haven't replaced Eli. A few games AG has shown flashes, but he's just not the complete player that Eli was. If we had more games under our belt, perhaps. But not yet.

Might give a slight edge because Sidibe rebounding out of the 5 late last season, but if JB decides to make a late push and move Dole to the 4 with Kadary at the point and Q/Griff nearing in on Eli, we could find a pleasant surprise.

Last edited:
We don't have the same talent. We haven't replaced Eli. A few games AG has shown flashes, but he's just not the complete player that Eli was. If we had more games under our belt, perhaps. But not yet.
eh I'm just talking results - that team on paper *should* have been better but they werent

Great post (seriously). It's a friggin call in show, not the G-7. (I'd say presidential debate, but...)

I love Pat. Love his calls on the local shows. He is very well informed and knows what he is talking about. But JB is living in his head now. Not the other way around.

When was the last time SU played man-to-man defense in regular season play? Meaning, for more than 30 seconds as a lark, or whatever we consider the press. Like, legitimate, man D for 5-10 minutes in a game.

Honestly, I don't think we have since 1995.

It’s become the best thread each week since Jeremy live posted the show.

I wish maybe for next season if they would live TV broadcast the show on like News Channel 9 or some local channel. Bring even more of an audience.

A little off topic, but what local cuse basketball or local cuse shows I can listen to on tunein?

I wish maybe for next season if they would live TV broadcast the show on like News Channel 9 or some local channel. Bring even more of an audience.
They could put it on YouTube but I think it’s owned by whomever has the radio broadcast rights.

Wait a minute...hasn't the Boeheim position up till now been that the Orange only practice zone?
That he concluded there's no sense spending practice time on anything else?
So when did they start practicing man to man?

And is a major college team that can't play a little reasonable man to man really a major college team?
(I don't know the answer to that but I believe I studied that in a sophomore philosophy class.
Wasn't it Descartes who said, "I zone therefore I am?"
If not, it's not surprising I didn't do well on the exam).

Wait a minute...hasn't the Boeheim position up till now been that the Orange only practice zone?

And is a major college team that can't play a little reasonable man to man really a major college team?
(I don't know the answer to that but I believe I studied that in a sophomore philosophy class.
best defensive player on the team is a frosh. the "secret sauce "don't take years to learn evidently

Kansas with Flynn

11/25/2008, almost 13 years ago, against a P5 team, and we won.

Two thoughts...

1) Comparing that SU team to today's is just sad. Flynn, Devo, Harris, Onuaku, Rautins. They'd beat our team today by 20.

2) The fact that our entire defensive repertoire is zone, frantic press, and nothing else is also sad.

11/25/2008, almost 13 years ago, against a P5 team, and we won.

Two thoughts...

1) Comparing that SU team to today's is just sad. Flynn, Devo, Harris, Onuaku, Rautins. They'd beat our team today by 20.

2) The fact that our entire defensive repertoire is zone, frantic press, and nothing else is also sad.

I have two thoughts as well.

1. It looks so weird watching us play M2M.
2. I hope Brady Quinn's finger is ok.

And yes, your two thoughts are sad. We need new energy. Seems like the program is jogging in place. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Yeah, count me in the camp of folks who don't believe JB when he says we practice MtM. We may have our second string playing man to give our starters specific looks the upcoming opponent uses, but no way he's having our starters practice man when he needs them to crack the zone code each week.

Can't we all just do a board happy hour at Applebees and call the police when Runner starts dancing on the bar ?
it'd start out "happy" but after a few pitchers you'd get an angry mob storming the MELO center and bear spraying security. you know...peacefully.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom