My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Maybe more than any SU football team ever, this team needs to move the ball and score points to be successful. The loss of ED has been devastating and is almost impossible to recover from.

It is easy to blame the loss on Mahoney and to be sure, his performance, compared to what we have become accustomed to from Eric, was lacking. But he doesn't have the tools to be successful at this level and I thought overall, he did well considering the circumstances. At the least, he showed a lot of courage and toughness under fire.

Our inability to run the ball remains a huge issue. Strickland and Neal are just not getting it done and I don't think it is a case of constantly being close to breaking big plays. They can't break simple arm tackles and are quick enough or strong enough to get the job done. If job one for 2017 is getting ED back and ready to play, job two is finding a competent running back. Not much depth here. One of the kids from Florida has a great shot at winning the job as a true frosh.

Job three is to fix the OL. I think Conway has quietly put together a good season and he appears to get better each game. Roberts also appears to be reliable and getting better over time.

We still need to find 3 competent linemen to play center, right guard and right tackle. I think Byrne is going to be fine at center. If Adams is willing to lose 30 pounds, I think he will be fine at RG. If he can't, there are lots of other good prospects to choose from so I think we will be fine here. Hopefully someone emerges at RT. McGloster has taken his lumps this season. Hope he learns from it. Overall, there are a lot of good young prospects here. The future is bright.

I don't want to think about what happens at QB if Eric is done, but it needs to be discussed. Wilson just isn't the answer. That should be clear to anyone by now. I think every effort should be made to redshirt Devito. Culpepper would surely get the starting job and Mahoney would remain the backup. Given the lack of depth and uncertainty here, I would think a graduate transfer QB I should a possibility.

Given Amba's success this year, and the relative lack of big, fast, experienced WRs on the roster, I would think we will take another grad transfer at WR (more spots will open up as players who can't cut the mustard here leave). Phillips, Ishmael, Neal, Butler, Riley, Custis and all the WRs in the 2017 class are a good place to start. This is an area where quality depth is being built.

On defense, it is encouraging to see all the promising young DL on the roster. We are playing a ton of youngsters here by necessity and paying the price for it now. But it should pay off down the road. I think we are going to be tough to run against next season, in large part due to the solid DTs on the roster. We really need another pass rusher at DE. Kendall Coleman is going to be very good but he needs help.

It will be a veteran group at linebacker, which should help things. I really like the kids we have here too. It will be nice to be able to redshirt them and have the luxury of having the vets teach the kids while they wait for their time to play. I love Armstrong in particular and I think it is going to be tough to keep him off the field. Again, seeds for some quality depth here are being planted. The future is bright.

With the secondary, one thing you can say is that we will have a lot of kids with experience coming back. I think Ellison is going to be a star. Winfield is a solid CB. You know Cordy is going to start somewhere...could see him move to CB if we can't find someone but my guess is he returns at FS with a battle royale for the other CB spot. I am guessing Dowels or Jones. With Hudson, Frederick, Bradshaw, etc. all battling, it should be interesting. Surely someone will step up here.

Hofricher has been a revelation at punter since he started doing his punt on the run style and I imagine he will remain our punter for 3 more years. Might be preseason All ACC next year. Cole Murphy's career is not going in the direction you want as an SU fan but I will say his leg strength is improving and he has become pretty serviceable on kickoffs. Has to get better though, especially kicking on the road. If I were a senior in HS looking to earn a scholarship, Syracuse would be at the top of my list right now.

The future is brighter than it is been since just before DM left. Let 's hope we can keep our coaching staff longer than that time, and that our QB returns for two more successful and injury free seasons.

War Damb Otto!

Broken record here but I still hope for a Fredericks comeback. it would be like recruiting a veteran player.

Maybe ET's big year will allow us to get another good WR via the same route next year. I had literally never heard of this guy before his name came up in fall practice.

There are reasons for optimism.

By my count 13 true frosh and RS frosh played significant minutes yesterday.

The team played hard - they were peeling FSU guys off the field all day. The hit by Ellison on the big TE was memorable - you have to love that kid.

We were not playing to keep it close - we were playing to win - Babers sent the team and the fans a strong message when he attempted the onside kick in the third quarter.

With a little more luck and with a bit more accuracy, we score three more TDs through the air - we were getting guys open down the middle and on streak patterns.

The team did not quit - not at all.

So, I'm ready to move forward - I will enjoy being in the Dome with 50,000 in the near future.

Last edited:
really would have been an interesting game had we hit just one of the 2 simple posts we had open the first half and scored when we had first down inside the 10.

we were ugly but we had so many chances . We almost had a royal flush of false starts by the oline too..

I thought Francois was awful.. He hit the open WR well and there were too many of those but he made way too many bad decision throws, even more than Mahoney , whose issue was just he throws too high when rushed. Francois is helped out but having WR who are just tough to cover if you dont have elite DBs.

I don't like to play the coulda-shoulda game, but I feel like Dungey would have escaped so many of the situations that ended in a Mahoney sack. It is what it is, but it makes you wonder.

I know the scoreboard didn't really reflect it, but the defense really played well yesterday.

And I too think there's so much potential for next year.

When the D didnt flat out blow a coverage they really did a great job at the point of attack. A lesser RB and we would have done a nice job. Thats hope for next week as Conner runs hard but he doesnt run away from many of those tackles like Cooke did yesterday.

Great OP, Tom. I agree that the OL is dreadful, and really needs to improve moving forward. It isn't just a problem with pass protection, either--the inability to open holes has really diminished our rushing attack this season, as well -- reducing it to basically Dungey scrambling, which unfortunately subjected him to a greater number of hits.

Compared to the beginning of the year, the defense really came around despite personnel limitations. I have to think that has to do with the players figuring out the new defense and getting acclimated to how they're supposed to play, instead of having to think about what they are supposed to do under the new system. Playing all of those frosh will pay off down the road. I'm actually confident that the secondary will be much improved, with the emergence of Frederick and Ellison / the size and athleticism of the incoming frosh to help improve our ability to compete in the secondary.

Need more pass rush, though--and in this system, it looks like the pass rush needs to come from up front at DE. Would love to see us snag a JUCO DE who could physically contribute right away to bolster our pass rush right away.

Pass rush and DE are the two biggest problems to fix, IMO. Addressing those two needs would take care of a lot of the other issues [which are actually symptoms of these two main problems on both sides of the ball]. Also have to hope that Culpepper is for real, which would enable them to redshirt DeVito.

I've said before that, if everything goes well, I think our progess will more resemble that of Art Briles when he took over at Baylor:
Art Briles - Wikipedia

...than that of Dino Babers at Eastern Illinois and Bowling Green:
Dino Babers - Wikipedia

The reasons being that EIU was in FCS, BG already had a good program and was in the MAC and SU, like Baylor, did not have a good program and was in a Power 5 conference.

I'd say that we are about on schedule.

Great Post Tom. I echo so many of your thoughts. To put me in a better mood, I made a two deep for next year:

QB:
Dungey
Culpepper

RB:
Strickland
Daniels/Pierre

TE:
Pierce (I hope)
Moore (Anyone confirmed he is coming back?)

X:
Ishmael
Custis

Y:
Grad Transfer
Butler

Slot:
Phillips
Neal
Riley
Johnson

LT:
Conway
Clark

LG:
Roberts
Clausman

C:
Byrne
Heckel

RG:
Roberts
Duering

RT:
Servias
McGloster

SDE:
Berry (JUCO)
Pickard

NT:
Clark
Samuels/ JUCO

DT:
Slayton
Williams

WDE:
Coleman
Black

SLB:
Blair (I hope)
Armstrong

MLB:
Franklin
Walton

WLB:
Bennett
Thomas

SS:
Ellison
Whitner

FS:
Cordy
Williams

FCB:
Winfield
Frederick

SCB:
Doewels
Bradshaw

This is a solid, experienced line up. Best group of players we have had since 2012. I like the future of this team, not only next year but for the future. Keep the faith.

Great Post Tom. I echo so many of your thoughts. To put me in a better mood, I made a two deep for next year:

QB:
Dungey
Culpepper

RB:
Strickland
Daniels/Pierre

TE:
Pierce (I hope)

X:
Ishmael
Custis

Y:
Grad Transfer
Butler

Slot:
Phillips
Neal
Riley
Johnson

LT:
Conway
Clark

LG:
Roberts
Clausman

C:
Byrne
Heckel

RG:
Roberts
Duering

RT:
Servias
McGloster

SDE:
Berry (JUCO)
Pickard

NT:
Clark
Samuels/ JUCO

DT:
Slayton
Williams

WDE:
Coleman
Black

SLB:
Blair (I hope)
Armstrong

MLB:
Franklin
Walton

WLB:
Bennett
Thomas

SS:
Ellison
Whitner

FS:
Cordy
Williams

FCB:
Winfield
Frederick

SCB:
Doewels
Bradshaw

This is a solid, experienced line up. Best group of players we have had since 2012. I like the future of this team, not only next year but for the future. Keep the faith.

Assuming we stay healthy, that's a pretty solid group on D. Especially the secondary, with Cordy and Ellison as the safety tandem...small, but hard hitters.

QB:
Dungey
Culpepper

RB:
Strickland
Daniels/Pierre

TE:
Pierce (I hope)

X:
Ishmael
Custis

Y:
Grad Transfer
Butler

Slot:
Phillips
Neal
Riley
Johnson

LT:
Conway
Clark

LG:
Roberts
Clausman

C:
Byrne
Heckel

RG:
Roberts
Duering

RT:
Servias
McGloster

SDE:
Berry (JUCO)
Pickard

NT:
Clark
Samuels/ JUCO

DT:
Slayton
Williams

WDE:
Coleman
Black

SLB:
Blair (I hope)
Armstrong

MLB:
Franklin
Walton

WLB:
Bennett
Thomas

SS:
Ellison
Whitner

FS:
Cordy
Williams

FCB:
Winfield
Frederick

SCB:
Doewels
Bradshaw

Is Fredericks gone or is he still 3rd string?

Key questions -- how good is Rex Chapman, and how durable? How good are the 4 OL who are red-shirting? And how good will the staff be at shaking the tree for grad transfers capable of starting?

In many respects, I believe we are close to being competitive, with so many returning players, supplemented by red-shirts and an expected number of true frosh who can contribute. Can walk through the units and see how we can be better, with normal year over year development.

But the challenges of finding a #1 RB and two OL who can run-block, a pass rushing DE, a new AET, a QB with an accurate arm who can also run -- too much to expect?

This year we had Dungey with 2 guys who had seen the field and a RS

next year we hope we have Dungey with 1 guy who has seen the field an unknown Fr and hopefully a RS

if Dungey doesnt come back we are in need of a Sr transfer badly.

is Custis and X or a Y? How big is the transfer WR market and can you really expect to hit the jackpot twice in a row even if we pull the handle.

I think the Fr Wr have a real chance to see the field they are bigger and faster than what we had this year and we need to continue that for several years to develop this offense.

Still the oline is whats going to drive the bus to improvement

Key questions -- how good is Rex Chapman, and how durable? How good are the 4 OL who are red-shirting? And how good will the staff be at shaking the tree for grad transfers capable of starting?

In many respects, I believe we are close to being competitive, with so many returning players, supplemented by red-shirts and an expected number of true frosh who can contribute. Can walk through the units and see how we can be better, with normal year over year development.

But the challenges of finding a #1 RB and two OL who can run-block, a pass rushing DE, a new AET, a QB with an accurate arm who can also run -- too much to expect?

Rex Chapman was pretty durable and was good during his NBA career ;)
Culpepper is a bit of an unknown since he missed his Senior year, but his Junior film looked good

The play on the field is poor. The players seem to be inventing ways to screw up. But the team is young. Lots of guys facing trial by fire. 4-8 is about right for this team. I think it's a two year rebuild - the line talent is just too young.

I hope we will get some hippos out front to lead the way for our running game next year and also to protect Dungey. I know Dungey must be tired of running for his life.

Rex Chapman was pretty durable and was good during his NBA career ;)
Culpepper is a bit of an unknown since he missed his Senior year, but his Junior film looked good

Saw just a bit of Rex in the Spring game. Someone must have a comment based on his work on the scout team. Anyone?

I don't like to play the coulda-shoulda game, but I feel like Dungey would have escaped so many of the situations that ended in a Mahoney sack. It is what it is, but it makes you wonder.

I know the scoreboard didn't really reflect it, but the defense really played well yesterday.

And I too think there's so much potential for next year.

should've planted weed in Dungy's room and given him a one game suspension for Clemson game

Not sure why people are down on Strickland and the rbs. rbs are a direct function of the oline and yes , we are young and struggling .

Not sure why people are down on Strickland and the rbs. rbs are a direct function of the oline and yes , we are young and struggling .

Because he lacks vision, can't break tackles despite his size, and doesn't have any burst after the handoff.

The O-Line can make a very good RB look great, a decent RB look really good but a good RB makes themselves look good and a decent RB makes themselves look serviceable.

Because he lacks vision, can't break tackles despite his size, and doesn't have any burst after the handoff.

The O-Line can make a very good RB look great, a decent RB look really good but a good RB makes themselves look good and a decent RB makes themselves look serviceable.

A rb is only as good as his oline. strick is a good rb behind a young and confused oline. not a good mix. there are few rbs which are game changers at the college and pro level , like elliot . emmit Smith was a very average back made into a hof rb by a hof line.

A rb is only as good as his oline. strick is a good rb behind a young and confused oline. not a good mix. there are few rbs which are game changers at the college and pro level , like elliot . emmit Smith was a very average back made into a hof rb by a hof line.

There is no proof he is a good RB. The line is bad at run blocking - but a good RB will show something.

I think he's a good player/athlete however. I'd try him in the slot or at S.

We had Dalvin Cook contained on several plays, i.e. their line didn't move us and create the hole. He just knew how to navigate and never assumed he would be tackled until he was tackled.

Not every back is like him. But I watched OU-WVU last night. Both OLs were pretty good, but not all the story. The RBs just had great vision and could make something out of nothing. Between the 2 for OU and the 1 for WVU, I think they combined for 600 yards rushing.

OL needs to get better, for sure. But I'm not sold we have the right guys back there. I would bet Dino isn't either.

There was nothing average about Emmitt Smith and there isn't anything average about Zeke Elliott, either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom