Nate Oats and Alabama | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Nate Oats and Alabama

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a lot wrapped around the worst part which is Miles asked for the gun and he brought it to him. It then tries to aggressively remove Miller from everything else. Again hopefully this is an innocent act of stupidity...it doesn't smell that way.

There’s been so much written about this whole thing that I can’t keep it all straight. But doesn’t some of this differ from the testimony?

So Miller has a good lawyer. The angelic I'm 1000 pct innocent while sneaking in the matter of bringing Miles his firearm upon request but never touching it... I'm sorry but it just doesn't smell right. I'm asking why is the firearm in my car and why do you need it even at that age.

Miller's account is well drafted and hopefully it's mostly true but it's just odd. The company you keep matters and typically a story like this unravels into something more. There are tens of millions of dollars potentially at stake with Miller here which can't be understated.
If you google the attorney, the first four things that pop up are murder cases in the last couple years where he defended the murderer and in a couple of the cases they were capital offenses. Obviously, he knows his way around a courtroom but almost sounds like a John Grisham character.

If you google the attorney, the first four things that pop up are murder cases in the last couple years where he defended the murderer and in a couple of the cases they were capital offenses. Obviously, he knows his way around a courtroom but almost sounds like a John Grisham character.

Yeah I did which was where I was going with good attorney. You don't hire that kind of attorney unless you need it.

Maybe. Or you don't hire that kind of attorney unless you can afford it and have a lot to lose by not having one that is good.

For sure. The school code of conduct and the fact Miller has been playing like this was nothing along with this all coming out so late is the biggest question mark along with how nonchalant and dismissive Oats has been. Pair that with Oats getting a recent extension and Bama being a top 5 team and there is a lot of poor decisions to go around all of this.

It's concerning given we have seen how other programs like Baylor and NMSU have had issues with mishandling such things around their programs. The big thing here is still that Miles asks for his firearm and asks for it at a public place. That's hard to get around. Miller's statement is aggressive around being clean as a whistle and then that fact is dropped in and then a clean exit from the situation. That's a good attorney doing their best while being vague around the lightning rod issue of the gun being requested.

Miller is lying.

The text he received from Miles, in so many words, specifically said to bring his gun because he was having issues with people.
================

According to Miles’ defense attorney Mary Turner, Miles texted Miller at 1:38 a.m. the day of the shooting, saying “I need my joint [gun] a n****r rl jus got a fakin.”

“They’re faking, which means they were threatened, right?.” Turner asked Culpepper, referring to Miles’ text. Culpepper indicated that he didn’t know, to which Turner replied, “I do. I looked it up. Urban Dictionary.”

That's a helluva coincidence that the deceased just happen to park behind Brandon's car in an area where it doesn't appear to have on-street parking.
1677107025412.png

ETA: This is some grade A lawyer spin: "Brandon quickly left the area when gunfire erupted. As soon as he was notified that someone had been injured and the police wished to speak with him, he has fully cooperated with law enforcement’s investigation."

He fled the scene of a crime he was participant of and the lawyer wants him to get credit for being an upstanding citizen and cooperating with the police when they came a knockin'. Otherwise, he wasn't going to say a damn thing.

Miller is lying.

The text he received from Miles, in so many words, specifically said to bring his gun because he was having issues with people.
================

According to Miles’ defense attorney Mary Turner, Miles texted Miller at 1:38 a.m. the day of the shooting, saying “I need my joint [gun] a n****r rl jus got a fakin.”

“They’re faking, which means they were threatened, right?.” Turner asked Culpepper, referring to Miles’ text. Culpepper indicated that he didn’t know, to which Turner replied, “I do. I looked it up. Urban Dictionary.”

Thanks for pulling this up. If that's the text, that's absolutely not going to work with what Miller's attorney is positioning this as or at least complicates it.

Thanks for pulling this up. If that's the text, that's absolutely not going to work with what Miller's attorney is positioning this as or at least complicates it.
yeah and fwiw I'm not suggesting he be charged or whatever. I have no idea of Alabama law.

I'm am suggesting the University can and should absolutely sit the kid based on moral clauses I'm sure they signed when they agreed to be on scholarship.

I’m not 100% sure but I think the attorney is saying Miller wasn’t aware of the text until he had already arrived. He thought he was simply picking Miles up when in reality, Miles was requesting the gun. Just bad luck for Miller *shrugs*.

Note: Just summarizing what I believe his attorney is trying to argue.

So Miller has a good lawyer. The angelic I'm 1000 pct innocent while sneaking in the matter of bringing Miles his firearm upon request but never touching it... I'm sorry but it just doesn't smell right. I'm asking why is the firearm in my car and why do you need it even at that age.

Miller's account is well drafted and hopefully it's mostly true but it's just odd. The company you keep matters and typically a story like this unravels into something more. There are tens of millions of dollars potentially at stake with Miller here which can't be understated.
As long as what was said by the lawyer was true, it’s hard to hammer the kid. That said, it’s an awful situation but if he is innocent and was unaware then should be treated as such.

And if it was, then it’s just another day in Alabama. This is a completely different culture folks. Guns are expected to be kept available. And I’m not talking black culture. Southern culture.
Being a Vermonter, your take is a little pot vs kettle-ish. Vermont has extremely liberal gun laws and a pretty high (legal) gun-toting population. I work with a lot of contractors in my side hustle. Most of them have pistols in their trucks.

That's a helluva coincidence that the deceased just happen to park behind Brandon's car in an area where it doesn't appear to have on-street parking.
View attachment 225294

ETA: This is some grade A lawyer spin: "Brandon quickly left the area when gunfire erupted. As soon as he was notified that someone had been injured and the police wished to speak with him, he has fully cooperated with law enforcement’s investigation."

He fled the scene of a crime he was participant of and the lawyer wants him to get credit for being an upstanding citizen and cooperating with the police when they came a knockin'. Otherwise, he wasn't going to say a damn thing.
I like the Google maps, I should do some recon and see if looks familiar. Went down to football game there about 7 years ago.

As long as what was said by the lawyer was true, it’s hard to hammer the kid. That said, it’s an awful situation but if he is innocent and was unaware then should be treated as such.

Absolutely. Djcons post on what the text actually said is not good..

Someone else mentioned it but Oats needs to be a leader right now and do the right thing otherwise his career could be at a dead-end. Whether the kid is being charged or not, how can a program accept this type of behavior without some type of punishment.

Miles is charged with murder its not just his friend. 99.999% of this is on the two of them. It almost seems like people are rooting for Miller to get charged or implicated further.

I think Miller is very lucky that the authorities and University are looking out for him and not trying to make an example of him and have 3 suspects he could easily get dragged into this but that is about it he didn't egg this on and wasn't part of whatever those 2 morons did that ended up in them murdering a young mother for absolutely no reason. If the crime wasn't so heinous and excessive and this was a non fatal shooting or robbery or something I might want Miller to cop some responsibility for keeping that kind of company and all but this... not really.

Miles is charged with murder its not just his friend. 99.999% of this is on the two of them. It almost seems like people are rooting for Miller to get charged or implicated further.

I think Miller is very lucky that the authorities and University are looking out for him and not trying to make an example of him and have 3 suspects he could easily get dragged into this but that is about it he didn't egg this on and wasn't part of whatever those 2 morons did that ended up in them murdering a young mother for absolutely no reason. If the crime wasn't so heinous and excessive and this was a non fatal shooting or robbery or something I might want Miller to cop some responsibility for keeping that kind of company and all but this... not really.

Rooting for him to go down?? Get out of here. The kid got a text to bring the gun from Miles who noted there was a problem and reason. It's actually that a young woman is now dead and Miller is still playing basketball with his coach making no big deal over what he could have possibly prevented. He is obligated if he knows something nefarious might go down to not allow it if he has the ability. It looks like he may have failed in that obligation where the young lady may still be here today.

If the young man wasn't a star athlete with a damn good attorney he may be in a much different scenario.

If Miller did nothing wrong then that is great for him and we move on. There is a lot of assumption here based on what has been shared.

I’m not 100% sure but I think the attorney is saying Miller wasn’t aware of the text until he had already arrived. He thought he was simply picking Miles up when in reality, Miles was requesting the gun. Just bad luck for Miller *shrugs*.

Note: Just summarizing what I believe his attorney is trying to argue.
I think his phone can show when the text was read no?

I think his phone can show when the text was read no?

You cant prove that with technology. People pick up their phones all the time and dont read messages. Thatd being said, I believe there was testimony that he told Miles or Davis that “there is one in the head” meaning the gun is loaded. I think the evidence will establish Miller knew the gun was loaded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom