Nate Oats to Alabama | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Nate Oats to Alabama

Bullish on UB: How Nate Oats got his start and sustained Buffalo basketball’s success

“Ironically enough I grew up a Syracuse fan. Wisconsin wasn’t very good when I was younger,” Oats said in a telephone conversation Monday afternoon. “I graduated from eighth grade in ‘89, so go back to late 80’s when they had Derrick Coleman, Sherman Douglas throwing lobs to Stevie Thompson, Ronnie Seikaly, Billy Owens came in. I was a huge Syracuse fan. I had the Syracuse Starter jacket, the whole deal. I remember when Matt Roe transferred to Maryland I was all upset because all we needed was a shooter to win the National Championship.”

That's our guy, right there. Not a Doug Marrone "Dream Job", but the real deal.
If he can restock Buffalo and keep them playing at that level, he deserves an interview.

So basically he could leave in 2 weeks and that buyout is basically nothing to whoever would be hiring him.
May as well add a million to the buyout price considering the house he just purchased in buffalo.

Recruiting really good? What??

?? This is the recruits they've got the last two years.

4* PG Ronaldo Segu - Offers from Florida State, VCU, UCF, New Mexico
4* SF Jeenathan Williams - Offers from Virginia, Syracuse, Virginia Tech, Marquette, Pitt and a lot more
3* G Noah Williams - Offer from Washington
4* C Raymond Hawkins (no verbal yet but favorites to get him) - Offers from Arkansas, Mississippi St, Colorado, Nevada, UNLV, St. John's, Depaul

Transfers coming:

Sr G Antwain Johnson from Middle Tennesse State.
Sr SF Gabe Grant from Houston

They have three of the top 25 Jucos coming too in PFs Andre Allen (So.) and James Rojas (So.) and SG Durey Cadwell (Fr.)

That's not upper echelon P5 recruiting but that's damn good recruiting for a mid-major.

Last edited:

4* SF Jeenathan Williams - Offers from Virginia, Syracuse, Virginia Tech, Marquette, Pitt and a lot more
4* C Raymond Hawkins (no verbal yet but favorites to get him) - Offers from Arkansas, Mississippi St, Colorado, Nevada, UNLV, St. John's, Depaul

Transfers coming:

They have three of the top 25 Jucos coming too in PFs Andre Allen (So.) and James Rojas (So.) and SG Durey Cadwell (Fr.)

That's not upper echelon P5 recruiting but that's damn good recruiting for a mid-major.

He's definitely punching above his weight class. Wouldn't say that we are.

May as well add a million to the buyout price considering the house he just purchased in buffalo.

Sure, if the house fell into the lake and no longer has any value.

See what this guy can do long term (see Turner Gill). He beat a down SU team this year and that's it. The MAAC is a backwater league. Pitt could likely go undefeated in that league.

The MAC #2 seed, Toledo, lost to #7 seed Northern Illinois in the MAC Tournament yesterday.

Transfers coming:

That's a good list. Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work! Just not against us again!

Would be interesting to see a poll regarding having oats as the next head coach at cuse. Hire him with a big time recruting assistant that has the right connections and maybe keep someone on familiar with our program/traditions? Last year I disliked oats because he rubbed me the wrong way in his interviews regarding cuse and because they have been a better team the past 2 years then us. Now I would kill for what he brings to the table. Doing a hell of a job at buffalo and still young with his best years ahead of him. As an assistant at buffalo he was credited with recruiting justin moss who won the 2014/15 MAC player of the year award. 3x MAC tournament champions, 2x MAC regular season championships and 2x MAC coach of the year awards.

His resume is pretty good

Went 222-52 over 11 seasons as a highschool coach

And is 97-42(.698) as a college head coach.

I know some on here dislike him but I'm not sure if there is a better candidate to take over our program then someone like him? Heck people throw Buzz Williams out there all the time but I'm not sold on buzz being a better hire then Oats. PlusI dislike Buzz far more then I could ever dislike Oats.

Thoughts?

It's a Power 5 job but I might have help out for one where they actually care about basketball more than spring football

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom