Nate Oats to Alabama | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Nate Oats to Alabama

Semantics here but looking at Oats current salary at UB (around $900,000) and Avery Johnson's salary at Alabama last year ($2.9 million), it's more along the lines of a 300% raise. I guess that doesn't really diminish the point though, and I would probably still make that move if I'm Nate Oats.
Thanks for looking up the actual figures, I was just guessing at the salary increase. Also need to factor in the "supplementary compensation" which I'm sure is higher at Bama than Buffalo... everything from personal sponsorships, local TV/product endorsements, running his own basketball camp at the University... probably can make more side $ at Bama.

He gets a big raise but I would think he could have gotten a better job this off season.

Oats clearly didn’t think Buffalo could become an East coast version of Gonzaga.
He took a job for the money and cashed out.
I realize Buffalo was losing a lot but Alabama isn’t a good job.

He needed to move this year. Senior-laden team, there's a risk that his star could tarnish in the next few years.

UB has been recruiting great though. They also have two senior transfers coming in next year who have a lot of talent and three of the top 25 JUCOs.

Hopefully nobody transfers out. If UB hires Bryan Hodgson that could maybe keep the recruits around because he recruited a lot of them.

It's a Power 5 job but I might have help out for one where they actually care about basketball more than spring football

You think Bruce Pearl minds being at a football school? Thats a program that makes the dance plenty probably more often than not. They likely get a bid with one less loss this year. Some serious guard talent not graduating Lewis/Petty/Mack. He doesn't need to add much to the roster to contend for the SEC title I think LSU/UT/Auby all win lose a ton and UK always has a brand new team of course. No brainer thats as good as it gets outside of the blue bloods.

Sure, but what I mean is that he'll be looking for a new job in 3 or 4 years. School thinks they're entitled to a winner, but nobody can win there. Didn't they just fire Avery Johnson, the guy whose teams used to win 55+ games a year in the Western Conference in the NBA?

Silly SEC schools, not understanding their place in the college basketball world.

They probably don't fire Avery Johnson unless a clear upgrade hadn't accepted the offer.

This is a home run for both parties unless the roster all are crazy loyal to Avery Johnson and leave but I doubt that happens. He might have enough success similar to Hop that he turns us down when JB retires. If he succeeds at Bama the second call is surely to him after Hop.

One of not both will be considered

Can't see it keeping it in house after Hurley left for ASU paid off handsomely. They'll go with someone on the staff. Our assistants aren't up to it the fanbase overlap would help if expectations were lower but UB fans expect NCAA or bust in that conference and rightfully so. Maybe in 2 years if UB goes into the gutter and the job opens back up they will be considered.

You think Bruce Pearl minds being at a football school? Thats a program that makes the dance plenty probably more often than not. They likely get a bid with one less loss this year. Some serious guard talent not graduating Lewis/Petty/Mack. He doesn't need to add much to the roster to contend for the SEC title I think LSU/UT/Auby all win lose a ton and UK always has a brand new team of course. No brainer thats as good as it gets outside of the blue bloods.
Oats's first task will be to convince Petty and Lewis to stay

Oats's first task will be to convince Petty and Lewis to stay
Petty already said hes gone no matter who the next coach was and Lewis is definitely gone with the schools he has hitting up his phone right now. Everyone wants to land him.

Some good experience before he becomes a top target for Cuse (providing he does well at Bama)

So much for the new contract. Gone to Alabama, that didn't take long. Bama boosters ponied up $. Thought they only cared about football. Must feel bad missing all the March fun every year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom