National Media & The Relative Idiocy | Syracusefan.com

National Media & The Relative Idiocy

SUFan44

Hall of Fame
It is amazing to me to see how many idiots there are reporting for national media outlets nowadays.

Many, many people were angry and upset that they had to watch the style of basketball that was on display during our game.

Instead of crediting a team for having a superior defensive game plan and playing to its (few) strengths, you have Nicole Auerbach & Dana O'Neil openly complaining on Twitter that this is too ugly to watch.

Well, I have some news for you: It works. And it wins. And that's the bottom line of the game. How about appreciating that the defense on display is some of the best in the country, zone or man. I'm sure if it was Virginia playing a 40-minute rock fight, people would laud Tony Bennett as being so damn good and so damn smart.

Yet we have Gene Wojciechowski saying things like "This is what I've seen from teams "attacking'' the Syracuse zone this tournament: pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, dribble a little, pass, pass...oh, holy crap, we've got to jack a shot up now!"

Like it's the easiest thing in the world to play against, on two days notice.

Sorry for the rant. Just super annoying and frustrating to see all of these outlets give no credit to Boeheim when this is one of the top coaching jobs he has ever done with one of the least talented teams he's ever had.

Let's be real, when we actually played offense, we complained about teams like us as well.

UVA definitely does not get praised all the time for their defense. People hate it and it's even worse when they can't win under the bright lights.

The only thing that frustrates me are those who act like teams can't play against "a" zone. Tons of teams zone people. Credit to Jay Will who points out that it's not the zone itself but how they play it and the fact we are giants with condor wingspans.

Last year we had offense but sucked on defense because we had people who weren't bought in to how we play it and/or were sub 6 feet tall.

So true. Yes, they do not say how short our bench is and we really do not have the bodies to run up and down the floor both ways. Non "Orange Nation" viewers are not aware of this and just want fast, lots of action games with a zillion made three pointers. That's just the way it is these days. For me, I have always been a fan of defense in any sport. Some of the biggest cheers in the dome come from a blocked shot or a steal or a turnover. This is our DNA this year and if people think it is ugly, so be it, it has worked so far. Not sure we will be saying this next Saturday, but I'm optimistic for at least a good showing Friday night. These kids have tremendous grit and hustle so I would not be surprised with another upset. My main concern is playing against their zone as we seem to struggle when we play against zone.

JB is a lightning rod for the media, which is ironic given he does so much media. It will be like this until he retires.

I can tell you what I heard from non media people that watched games: most are extremely jealous of JBs coaching ability and one went so far to ask whether he’s truly the GOAT given recruiting differences etc.

It is amazing to me to see how many idiots there are reporting for national media outlets nowadays.

Many, many people were angry and upset that they had to watch the style of basketball that was on display during our game.

Instead of crediting a team for having a superior defensive game plan and playing to its (few) strengths, you have Nicole Auerbach & Dana O'Neil openly complaining on Twitter that this is too ugly to watch.

Well, I have some news for you: It works. And it wins. And that's the bottom line of the game. How about appreciating that the defense on display is some of the best in the country, zone or man. I'm sure if it was Virginia playing a 40-minute rock fight, people would laud Tony Bennett as being so damn good and so damn smart.

Yet we have Gene Wojciechowski saying things like "This is what I've seen from teams "attacking'' the Syracuse zone this tournament: pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, dribble a little, pass, pass...oh, holy crap, we've got to jack a shot up now!"

Like it's the easiest thing in the world to play against, on two days notice.

Sorry for the rant. Just super annoying and frustrating to see all of these outlets give no credit to Boeheim when this is one of the top coaching jobs he has ever done with one of the least talented teams he's ever had.
If this was football, media and fans alike would love what we're doing.

JB is a lightning rod for the media, which is ironic given he does so much media. It will be like this until he retires.

I can tell you what I heard from non media people that watched games: most are extremely jealous of JBs coaching ability and one went so far to ask whether he’s truly the GOAT given recruiting differences etc.
Double edged sword. Recruiting is a huge part of coaching and running a program. If we recruited like Duke we'd probably be more successful than Duke given our defense but our defense is the way it is because we recruit for our defense. That means some players write us off and we write off some players.

We do what Vermont did to us to beat us in 2005.
Milk shot clock a play tough D.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom