Navy Game Thread... | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Navy Game Thread...

No reason to lose that game today. Worst case scenario you go to overtime. Two points that I have seen come up a few times in this threat that I’ll address:
1. Why did Kennedy have the ball after the faceoff infraction? Possession had not taken place, therefore only the wings or fogo can pick up the ball. Varello isn’t an option, so it’s Kennedy or Mellon. I’d give to Kennedy.
2. Coming out of timeout why give it to a freshman to run out? They didn’t, they gave it to rehfuss who was doubled immediately. He did the right thing, throw it to the guy with the goalie covering. You can’t get striped by the goalie. Get the ball and run away. Once the ball hit the turf, the navy defenders were all over him.

Those issues aside, can’t give up a goal with less than a minute for the tie and holy hell you can’t give up the game winner. Total meltdown. The defense has been pretty bad all year long, but the last minute of today’s game takes the cake.

But hey, we’re 4-0 in the acc so it’s all good.

2. Coming out of timeout why give it to a freshman to run out? They didn’t, they gave it to rehfuss who was doubled immediately.

Ahh.. Thought it was Dordevic, not Rehfuss. Guess my old eyes saw 23 not 29. Makes a little more sense now at least as a decision. Just terrible execution.

Ahh.. Thought it was Dordevic, not Rehfuss. Guess my old eyes saw 23 not 29. Makes a little more sense now at least as a decision. Just terrible execution.
29 started with it and passed to 23. 23 got stripped by The goalie, then turned it over when he picked up the ground ball.

I question why we always try to run out the clock behind the goal. It generally forces a player to the back end line where he is easily double or triple teamed.
b/c if there is a turnover its a longer field for the opposing team, also allows you to ride and try to create a turnover. if you carry the ball at the top and turn it over at the midfield, shorter field and less time for the D to prepare for the fast break. a majority of teams from youth to pro level do it this way

if the goalie leaves the net unguarded having the ball behind the cage is zero threat. out top it's a free shot. need a speedster to run laps (abbott,nims etc. ) and kill clock. further a pass from behind the net to say one from in the attack box takes about 1/35 of a second longer to cross midfield. time argument is nonsense.

Last edited:
b/c if there is a turnover its a longer field for the opposing team, also allows you to ride and try to create a turnover. if you carry the ball at the top and turn it over at the midfield, shorter field and less time for the D to prepare for the fast break. a majority of teams from youth to pro level do it this way

I get all that. But seems every time we do it we get trapped at the end line and turn the ball over.

The strategy we used yesterday rarely works. Need to do something involving more passing with more players closer to the ball.

if the goalie leaves the net unguarded having the ball behind the cage is zero threat. out top it's a free shot. need a speedster to run laps (abbott,nims etc. ) and kill clock. further a pass from behind the net to say one from in the attack box takes about 1/35 of a second longer to cross midfield. time argument is nonsense.

Funny you mention Nims. I sat with the one Nims who wasn't Orange. My brother-in-law started in goal for Navy for three years (84 - 86). At least he had a good afternoon Saturday!

My issue with Kennedy bringing the ball down far into to offensive field is that he does not think of pressing g attack but tries to make something by himself. He needs to outlet the ball asap and get the defnders chasing the ball.

My issue with the end of the game is that if there are two or more guys on a player, he must automatically know there is so.eone open. Even a cross field pass is a a better option than being triple teamed. Especially when two guys have to be open. The offense should have been in a spread and looking for immediate outlet passes I stead of trying heroics to run out the clock.

It is just like hoops, spread oout, pass the ball around the perimeter and make the defense constantly run chasing the ball.

Just my take from an untrained lacrosse fan's eyes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom