NBA 2017-2018 thread | Page 108 | Syracusefan.com

NBA 2017-2018 thread

That was enjoyable and all the more impressive considering the four new Cavs only had a quickie orientation session yesterday. Only one game, but cause for some optimism, particularly considering they were getting hammered consistently last month or so after an 18-1 run.

Another good test soon come — Tuesday at OKC.

Love Cedi Osman — even his breakaway missed dunk. Good move to realize Cedi deserved and needed more minutes — at Wade’s expense — and help Wade get back to Miami.

You need to worry about Cleveland and even first place Toronto before worrying about Golden State.
I think Boston matches up better vs GS than cleveland. So no, im not assuming boston makes it past the second round

Does Kevin Garnett tape his hoodie to his head like that? There’s no way it would stay on like that otherwise. What is he doing?
Rapper DMX always seemed to have that same ability. It defies all physics & gravity.

Just what the NBA needs, another GS/Cleveland final.
Ratings don't lie. Who isn't watching one of the best dynasties of all time vs. the most all-around talented player to ever touch a basketball...Round 4?

Relevant:

Such a duality of nostalgia from my toddler to teen years all in one song. I won't post it because it's NSFW but do yourself a favor & check out the Bobby Shmurda/ ZooBooks commercial mash-up.

Ratings don't lie. Who isn't watching one of the best dynasties of all time vs. the most all-around talented player to ever touch a basketball...Round 4?

That's one way to look at it and that's valid to a point. On the other hand the NBA has a competitive balance problem where the same teams are showing up year after year. Last season there were 15 different playoff series and only two of them went the distance and a majority of them had the losing team unable to win more than one game. Even last year's final was a snoozer as it was minimally competitive. Btw MJ retired a while ago.

Such a duality of nostalgia from my toddler to teen years all in one song. I won't post it because it's NSFW but do yourself a favor & check out the Bobby Shmurda/ ZooBooks commercial mash-up.
Wow. That sent me down some kind of rabbit hole.

That's one way to look at it and that's valid to a point. On the other hand the NBA has a competitive balance problem where the same teams are showing up year after year. Last season there were 15 different playoff series and only two of them went the distance and a majority of them had the losing team unable to win more than one game. Even last year's final was a snoozer as it was minimally competitive. Btw MJ retired a while ago.
I watched MJ in his prime. I'm watching LeBron in his prime. I'll take LeBron. Being the "GOAT" factors in accomplishments, both individual & team, stats & winning (rings). Taking that into account, I'm not ready to call LeBron the "GOAT" over MJ, but, IMO, he's the more all-around talented player. He does many things, skill-wise, that MJ couldn't whereas (again, SKILL-WISE) MJ couldn't do much, if anything, that LeBron can't.

"Clutch gene" also has to be factored in & MJ still has LBJ there. I guess the key is being able to separate "greatest" & "most talented". I do believe, when it's all said & done, LBJ will surpass MJ as the greatest.

I find the term "GOAT" annoying when spoken but didn't feel like typing it all out multiple times lol

I watched MJ in his prime. I'm watching LeBron in his prime. I'll take LeBron. Being the "GOAT" factors in accomplishments, both individual & team, stats & winning (rings). Taking that into account, I'm not ready to call LeBron the "GOAT" over MJ, but, IMO, he's the more all-around talented player. He does many things, skill-wise, that MJ couldn't whereas (again, SKILL-WISE) MJ couldn't do much, if anything, that LeBron can't.

"Clutch gene" also has to be factored in & MJ still has LBJ there. I guess the key is being able to separate "greatest" & "most talented". I do believe, when it's all said & done, LBJ will surpass MJ as the greatest.

I find the term "GOAT" annoying when spoken but didn't feel like typing it all out multiple times lol

Yeah that debate will go on and on forever. It's tough comparing players from different eras. My main point was about the lack of competitive balance in the NBA. Last year's playoffs were an epic fail. Hopefully this year will be more competitive.

Yeah that debate will go on and on forever. It's tough comparing players from different eras. My main point was about the lack of competitive balance in the NBA. Last year's playoffs were an epic fail. Hopefully this year will be more competitive.

We still may get the Cavs-Warriors IV, but I do think the divisional series(es?), at least some, will be more competitive.

I think Cleveland and Golden St have better contenders this year, so it will not be "automatic" final like last year

Cleveland is not as good without Kyrie, and Boston and Toronto seem to be more viable contenders now.
Golden St didn't have a Houston level opponent last year.

"Should" be more interesting this year,

Ainge gave up on the season by standing pat.
Even without Cleveland rebuilding to get by Toronto the Celtics needed a bench scorer.
Being afraid to give up a pick the mid to late 20s to help his bench was dumb.
Lou Williams signing that extension killed Tyreke Evans market.

I would have given up that pick for Evans.
Ainge stands pat again when his team needs offense.

Hayward shouldn’t be rushed back.
Cleveland-Toronto in the ECF.

Even without Cleveland rebuilding to get by Toronto the Celtics needed a bench scorer.

STAY STRONG BROTHER.

Don't give up on the Cs yet. Cleveland just needs a week or two to unravel, which we know they will...

I think he probably should've done that; they have a lot of assets, that late first rounder probably won't have a lot of value.

How about this for a comp; the Celtics and another kind of Cavaliers, UVA. Boston is first in the NBA in defense, but 22nd (!) in offense. UVA is first in the country in defense, and like 50th in offense. One difference of course is Kyrie, but it's hard to make a deep playoff run when you're limited on one side of the ball.

STAY STRONG BROTHER.

Don't give up on the Cs yet. Cleveland just needs a week or two to unravel, which we know they will...
I got no complaints just speaking the truth.
Ainge didn’t want to give up the first round pick.
This team is headed in the right direction and LeBron is likely gone next year.
Celtics need scoring from the bench and Ainge did nothing.
They will win 52-55 games and win first round. Then it will all be matchups for then on.
Ainge rebuilding this team as fast as he has is awesome.

I think he probably should've done that; they have a lot of assets, that late first rounder probably won't have a lot of value.

How about this for a comp; the Celtics and another kind of Cavaliers, UVA. Boston is first in the NBA in defense, but 22nd (!) in offense. UVA is first in the country in defense, and like 50th in offense. One difference of course is Kyrie, but it's hard to make a deep playoff run when you're limited on one side of the ball.
With the salary cap killing the mid market teams are afraid to trade first round picks now. As they are cheap and teams need them to build depth now.
That market 2 years ago killed the salary cap for 80% of the teams.

Ainge has enough picks that losing the 25th pick this year isn’t that bad.

With the salary cap killing the mid market teams are afraid to trade first round picks now. As they are cheap and teams need them to build depth now.
That market 2 years ago killed the salary cap for 80% of the teams.

Ainge has enough picks that losing the 25th pick this year isn’t that bad.

I'd never suggest throwing picks away, but Boston has a few first rounders coming to them, plus their own. Either one from Philly or the Kings this year or next, one from Memphis at some point in the next 3 years, and maybe one from the Clippers. They can afford to take a chance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom