NBA 2017-2018 thread | Page 124 | Syracusefan.com

NBA 2017-2018 thread

I'm glad the Lakers did well enough this year to deprive Boston of that pick.

I'm glad the Lakers did well enough this year to deprive Boston of that pick.
Lottery ping pong balls could still put the Lakers 2nd or 3rd.

With that said Lakers look really good this year after they finally gave minutes to Randle.

Really cool playoff showdown shaping up between the Wolves and the Nuggets.

I'm rooting for the Nuggets because it would be hilarious if Thibs ran a super talented roster into the ground because that's what he does and can't even get them into the playoffs. Also, after getting blamed for years there Rubio leaves the Wolves and immediately makes the playoffs.

...did the cavs sign Kendrick Perkins?

Lottery ping pong balls could still put the Lakers 2nd or 3rd.

With that said Lakers look really good this year after they finally gave minutes to Randle.

Now the question becomes; do they keep him?

Good read.

The NBA needs to do the 2 year thing and allow kids to be drafted out of HS.

Bazley is going to get ignored next year.

I don't think you can pay players in the NCAA, I think it will functionally ruin the system, even though the system is a joke now.

What I think can work is your idea (even though I really don't like saying someone can't 'go pro' at something at any point), but take some of the revenue generated by the NCAA and put it towards a few items for the kids that go to college:

1) Insurance against injury (so the kids don't have to buy it themselves)
2) Guarantee 6 years of paid college (meaning, a kid can leave after two years, but has four more years of 'paid' college) that never expires or can be rolled over to children or a spouse.

That way there are no payments or salary but added incentive to do the two year agreement plus it actually encourages education for the player or his family.

The top kids should be in academies and go to the G-League. Maybe offer them 2-way contracts so if a LeBron type elite player comes through, he can be called up.

I don't think you can pay players in the NCAA, I think it will functionally ruin the system, even though the system is a joke now.

What I think can work is your idea (even though I really don't like saying someone can't 'go pro' at something at any point), but take some of the revenue generated by the NCAA and put it towards a few items for the kids that go to college:

1) Insurance against injury (so the kids don't have to buy it themselves)
2) Guarantee 6 years of paid college (meaning, a kid can leave after two years, but has four more years of 'paid' college) that never expires or can be rolled over to children or a spouse.

That way there are no payments or salary but added incentive to do the two year agreement plus it actually encourages education for the player or his family.

The top kids should be in academies and go to the G-League. Maybe offer them 2-way contracts so if a LeBron type elite player comes through, he can be called up.

I've often wondered (and maybe posted this before, I don't know) if "forcing" the best of the best to go to college, even for a year, might slow down their development. To be clear, i'm talking about the absolute best of the best here.

I think of Kareem, he went to school, had to sit out the first year, and then killed college ball for 3 years. In his rookie year, he averaged 28-15, made all NBA second team (first team C was the MVP, Willis Reed) so obviously he was ready to contribute from day 1, and if we're being honest, the guy was probably an NBA all star as early as his what, soph year in college? Did his game stagnate at all by playing against overmatched college kids? (i think he may also say the no dunking in college rule helped him, which could be true, but also is a fluke of the time)

Granted, Kareem is one of the 5 best players of all time or whatever, so it's not like he was held back from being great, but it is something I wonder. You can't tell me it was better for his development to play 3 years against overmatched college kids.

Warriors well on their way to their 10th loss in their last 17 games and Steph Curry supposedly won't be playing in their first round series. Could the defending champs be knocked out early. Tonight, in a game that means nothing to them, they are losing by 40+ to the Jazz, but will they be able to right the ship when it matters.

Warriors well on their way to their 10th loss in their last 17 games and Steph Curry supposedly won't be playing in their first round series. Could the defending champs be knocked out early. Tonight, in a game that means nothing to them, they are losing by 40+ to the Jazz, but will they be able to right the ship when it matters.
The Jazz are playing well, and I get the Warriors kinda don't care right now, but still... they have 3 all-stars.

The Jazz are playing well, and I get the Warriors kinda don't care right now, but still... they have 3 all-stars.
Did you see the move that Mitchell put Draymond on his butt.

I saw a clip of it.

I try not to buy into the persecution complex, but I'm getting tired of seeing people saying Simmons is a no brainer ROY and Gobert shouldn't win DPOY because of the games he missed. I saw a thing that the Jazz were #14 in defense when Gobert came back and are now #1 - that is a LOT of ground to makeup. The last rookie guard before Donovan Mitchell to lead their team in scoring and make the playoffs was Michael Jordan.

It was a nice crossover, but I get so annoyed by people referring to plays like that as "ankle breakers" when it only happened because Gobert tripped him.

It's just a nitpick on my part, but there's a difference between getting crossed and getting your ankles broken IMO. Draymond got crossed regardless but he only went down because of the blatant trip.

The move Mitchell put on McGee was even better though; just a nasty all-around play.

Why is Harden MVP when his teammates are better?
Dadu5k9VwAAn13w

Put Harden on Cleveland do they win a series in the East?
Put LeBron on Houston they are close to even with Golden State.

Why is Harden MVP when his teammates are better?
Put Harden on Cleveland do they win a series in the East?
Put LeBron on Houston they are close to even with Golden State.

It's going to be really interesting to see how the voting ends up. LeBron/the Cavs have come on really strong down the stretch here, but Houston has exceeded expectations this year, largely due to the continued incredible play of Harden. His scoring efficiency is basically identical to LeBron while scoring more points per game and having basically identical assists per game. I think the metrics may suggest that Harden is on par or better than Lebron defensively this season; the Cavs have been atrocious on that end of the floor and Lebron is not a small factor in that. I think Harden should win by a comfortable margin this year, but we'll see. It's certainly only a two-man race this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom