NBA 2017-2018 thread | Page 123 | Syracusefan.com

NBA 2017-2018 thread

Case for Simmons - key player on a playoff team likely with home floor on a team that didn't make the playoffs last season, one of only 4 guys his height to ever average 6+ assists, been pretty good all season, East coast bias

Case against Simmons - pretty crappy shooter, redshirt rookie, vindicates Hinkie and the process

Case for Mitchell - leading scorer as a guard for a playoff team possibly with home court (how many guards have done that?) on a team that lost an all-star free agent, likely to break the rookie record for three pointers made, dunk contest winner, true rookie, great highlight reel

Case against Mitchell - not a super efficient scorer, nobody cares about Utah, lost a bit in the glut of star power in the western conference

Case for Simmons - key player on a playoff team likely with home floor on a team that didn't make the playoffs last season, one of only 4 guys his height to ever average 6+ assists, been pretty good all season, East coast bias

Case against Simmons - pretty crappy shooter, redshirt rookie, vindicates Hinkie and the process

Case for Mitchell - leading scorer as a guard for a playoff team possibly with home court (how many guards have done that?) on a team that lost an all-star free agent, likely to break the rookie record for three pointers made, dunk contest winner, true rookie, great highlight reel

Case against Mitchell - not a super efficient scorer, nobody cares about Utah, lost a bit in the glut of star power in the western conference

I think both are deserving, but I think Simmons will get it. I do think his year has been better than Mitchell's by a bit.

What I can see happening, however, is:
1) Simmons wins the award but then in the first round of the playoffs is exposed because he can't shoot a lick (whether it be Indiana or Miami). Seeing someone win ROY and then be left alone 20 feet from the basket as they pack it in is pretty jarring.

2) During that same time, Mitchell leads Utah to a first round victory against whomever (NOP, OKC, SAS, etc). And all of a sudden you have an upstart Jazz team against a Rockets team that hasn't had playoff success lately.

3) All of a sudden it's, "did we get this wrong? how can a player that can't shoot win an award or be on 3rd team All NBA?".

I don't want to keep harping on Simmons inability to shoot, but in the playoffs, his lack of shooting is going to have a giant magnifying glass on it, especially if Embiid is out for a few games. And seeing him play game after game, left WIDE open is going to be something. Also, if he really starts tanking his FTs, that will only compound the issue.

Again, not saying Simmons stinks. He's awesome. His vision, passing, rebounding is amazing. No doubt. Seems like a great kid, too. Easy to root for.

I get it, the shooting is an issue. Even last night, they were trying to keep him away from the ball late in the game then Cle was gonna foul. Playoffs will be interesting though.

But I don't know, he's averaging 16-8-8 and grades out as a good, if not better, defender, as far as I know. There are a lot of great players in the league, maybe he's not top 15 yet, but he's gotta be knocking on the door.

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Frustrating. Knicks are 2 ahead (or behind, if you will) the Nets, and 1 from the Bulls. If the Knicks can lose out, which shouldn't be a problem, they're going to end up tied with at least one of them, the Bulls and the Nets play each other twice.

Who would you pick if the best available at #9 are: Sexton, Young, Mikal Bridges, Wendall Carter?

Can you take another PG after Frankie Smokes?

I think both are deserving, but I think Simmons will get it. I do think his year has been better than Mitchell's by a bit.

What I can see happening, however, is:
1) Simmons wins the award but then in the first round of the playoffs is exposed because he can't shoot a lick (whether it be Indiana or Miami). Seeing someone win ROY and then be left alone 20 feet from the basket as they pack it in is pretty jarring.

2) During that same time, Mitchell leads Utah to a first round victory against whomever (NOP, OKC, SAS, etc). And all of a sudden you have an upstart Jazz team against a Rockets team that hasn't had playoff success lately.

3) All of a sudden it's, "did we get this wrong? how can a player that can't shoot win an award or be on 3rd team All NBA?".

I don't want to keep harping on Simmons inability to shoot, but in the playoffs, his lack of shooting is going to have a giant magnifying glass on it, especially if Embiid is out for a few games. And seeing him play game after game, left WIDE open is going to be something. Also, if he really starts tanking his FTs, that will only compound the issue.

Again, not saying Simmons stinks. He's awesome. His vision, passing, rebounding is amazing. No doubt. Seems like a great kid, too. Easy to root for.
Just out of curiosity, what's the "by a bit" that has made Simmons' year better than Mitchell's?

If Mitchell gets snubbed, I think it fuels him his entire career. I'm not opposed to that.

Just out of curiosity, what's the "by a bit" that has made Simmons' year better than Mitchell's?

If Mitchell gets snubbed, I think it fuels him his entire career. I'm not opposed to that.

Should have said a "by a little bit".

Basically his all around game, a bit more efficient (even though he can't shoot) and he is solid on defense. Mitchell's FG% and 3FG% are a little low right now, understandably for a rookie.

BTW, this isn't a knock on Mitchell. I love watching him play, reminds me a lot of Wade (NOT saying he's there now, just saying it's in the realm of possibilities).

Should have said a "by a little bit".

Basically his all around game, a bit more efficient (even though he can't shoot) and he is solid on defense. Mitchell's FG% and 3FG% are a little low right now, understandably for a rookie.

BTW, this isn't a knock on Mitchell. I love watching him play, reminds me a lot of Wade (NOT saying he's there now, just saying it's in the realm of possibilities).
I think Mitchell is a smaller Wade with a much better shot, actually.

I think they get Co-ROY. Both have had great seasons and it would be a shame if Mitchell loses out. He has done a lot of things that only some of the all time greats have done as rookies. Plus his second half of the season (along with Gobert's return from injury), has been so much better than his first half. And he has been so strong in the 4th quarter of games. Basically he is doing things that rookies don't do and he is much more important to the Jazz then BS is to the Sixers. He is a joy to watch game in and game out.

Utah Jazz‏Verified account @utahjazz Apr 4
In the history of the NBA, only five rookies have led 45-win teams in scoring: Wilt Chamberlain Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Larry Bird David Robinson Donovan Mitchell

I think they get Co-ROY. Both have had great seasons and it would be a shame if Mitchell loses out. He has done a lot of things that only some of the all time greats have done as rookies. Plus his second half of the season (along with Gobert's return from injury), has been so much better than his first half. And he has been so strong in the 4th quarter of games. Basically he is doing things that rookies don't do and he is much more important to the Jazz then BS is to the Sixers. He is a joy to watch game in and game out.

Utah Jazz‏Verified account @utahjazz Apr 4
In the history of the NBA, only five rookies have led 45-win teams in scoring: Wilt Chamberlain Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Larry Bird David Robinson Donovan Mitchell
So, that's pretty good company.

Also, the only guard.

Did anyone just see that officiating sequence in the OKC HOU game? Lol!

Decide to not call two blatant fouls (one for each team)

Then Westbrook (on D) runs into and lands on CP3’s back and they call an offensive foul

Maybe the problem is not just in college...

Last edited:
Huge win for OKC in Houston. Carmelo with 22 points, 6 rebounds and a couple big defensive plays down the stretch - a block of Harden at the basket and a strong contest of a Paul 3 at the shot clock buzzer resulting in an airball. Grant with 12 points, 5 rebounds, and 2 blocks.

Huge win for OKC in Houston. Carmelo with 22 points, 6 rebounds and a couple big defensive plays down the stretch - a block of Harden at the basket and a strong contest of a Paul 3 at the shot clock buzzer resulting in an airball. Grant with 12 points, 5 rebounds, and 2 blocks.
Just nuts how bunched up the West is.

Just nuts how bunched up the West is.

Denver-Minnesota and New Orleans-San Antonio on the last day of the season. I’m glad that 4 of the teams in the mix for those spots play each other. Makes things a lot more fun.

Jerami is setting himself up for a nice second contract. Not bad for an SU too-early entrant. ;)

Who would you pick if the best available at #9 are: s e xton, Young, Mikal Bridges, Wendall Carter?

Can you take another PG after Frankie Smokes?

I am team trae all the way. Very down on S e x ton. It's a super easy comp, and not fair at all to Trae, but there's lot of Steph Curry in Trae's game

I think you can play Frank and Trae as a backcourt, Frank has the size/length to check 2's.

I am team trae all the way. Very down on S e x ton. It's a super easy comp, and not fair at all to Trae, but there's lot of Steph Curry in Trae's game

I think you can play Frank and Trae as a backcourt, Frank has the size/length to check 2's.
Frank is a 2nd teamer/defensive replacement guy.

Unless he somehow learns to shoot.

Frank is a 2nd teamer/defensive replacement guy.

Unless he somehow learns to shoot.

I think it's way too early to write him off. Guy is the youngest player in the league who plays at all. He's a really good defender already, and there's a pretty long line of Euro players who struggle shooting their first season and all of a sudden get good at it. Obviously I would rather have Donovan Mitchell, but I think Frank will be a player

I think it's way too early to write him off. Guy is the youngest player in the league who plays at all. He's a really good defender already, and there's a pretty long line of Euro players who struggle shooting their first season and all of a sudden get good at it. Obviously I would rather have Donovan Mitchell, but I think Frank will be a player
Phluck all of this, updated the avatar.

Jazz beat the Lakers by 15 today and are 24-3 vs the Western Conference since January. Here is the reason why. Pretty impressive. BTW, Tyler Ennis had career high 22 pts and although a lot were in the 4th, he looked pretty good,
DaTKiJlVQAAZUpn.jpg:large

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom