NBA 2017-2018 thread | Page 94 | Syracusefan.com

NBA 2017-2018 thread

I don't know how true that is; the free agent market was out of control for a few summers. Joakim Noah got $72 million! Ian Mahimi got 4/60. Mozgov 4/64. Evan Turner 4/70. I'll stop now, but in t hat context, 4/57 for Jr smith seems crazy? (I also just double checked, the Jr contract isn't even really 4/57, it's more like 3/41 with $3.8 million in the 4th year guaranteed. So, makes my point a little more)
Thompson signed a year before the crazy contracts. He had no market. People forget how late he signed. He was a camp holdout.

J.R. Smith was the same - opted out, didn't have a market, signed during the preseason.

Again, they got a title, so these aren't unforgivable sins. But they made deals they arguably didn't have to. I think you're getting hung up on what other players signed for and discounting that neither player actually had a market.

I don’t get how the Cavs trade for George Hill.
His contract is awful and the Kings won’t take back a worse contract.

Thompson signed a year before the crazy contracts. He had no market. People forget how late he signed. He was a camp holdout.

J.R. Smith was the same - opted out, didn't have a market, signed during the preseason.

Again, they got a title, so these aren't unforgivable sins. But they made deals they arguably didn't have to. I think you're getting hung up on what other players signed for and discounting that neither player actually had a market.

Yeah I do remember that, for JR, I'm assuming he got some kind of promise from them earlier they would take care of him and thats why he didn't have any other market. It doesn't make sense everyone else would get paid crazy money and no one would want him. but I dunno.

Thompson was different, he wasn't a free agent, right? They offered him the QO. So it's impossible to say what his market was. He couldn't sign anywhere else. He would've had a market if he signed the QO and hit free agency the next summer, I'm pretty sure of that. (thats how I remember it/my quick googling is reminding me, i may be off on a detail here or there?)

Maybe they overpaid JR by a few million a year or something, but does that really matter?

Yeah I do remember that, for JR, I'm assuming he got some kind of promise from them earlier they would take care of him and thats why he didn't have any other market. It doesn't make sense everyone else would get paid crazy money and no one would want him. but I dunno.

Thompson was different, he wasn't a free agent, right? They offered him the QO. So it's impossible to say what his market was. He couldn't sign anywhere else. He would've had a market if he signed the QO and hit free agency the next summer, I'm pretty sure of that. (thats how I remember it/my quick googling is reminding me, i may be off on a detail here or there?)

Maybe they overpaid JR by a few million a year or something, but does that really matter?

The biggest -- possibly worst -- move the Cavs made was Dan Gilbert cutting loose the gm, David Griffin, after the playoffs seven months ago, as Griffin was working on deals for Paul George and Jimmy Butler. Carmelo supposedly had the Cavs as his second choice after Houston.

But then Griffin was gone, a 34-year wunderkind newbie took over as gm, Kyrie was traded, no Paul George, no Jimmy Butler, no Carmelo. I get the sense players also like and repect Griffin, he seems to be respected around the league, but Gilbert calls the shots and he doesn't give gm's a second contract.

The lineup tweaking for the Cavs begins tomorrow: Thompson starts at center, Love moves back to power forward, Crowder goes to the bench. Perhaps it will help somewhat on d, but it will also allow the Cavs to showcase a candidate for a trade.

I don’t get how the Cavs trade for George Hill.
His contract is awful and the Kings won’t take back a worse contract.

The third year on Hill's deal is basically non guaranteed; I didn't know that until today. Makes the deal slightly worse. Windhorst was saying Shump and Frye (expire t his year) for Hill.

LeBron: good news lil bro! i picked you in the All-Star draft!

Kyrie: awesome

LeBron: #striveforgreatness kid

Kyrie:

Kyrie: *texting*

[seven seconds later]

Woj: Celtics guard Kyrie Irving has withdrawn from 2018 NBA All-Star Game with sore knee, league sources tell ESPN.

So I am assuming it went like this
LeBron: Durant
Steph: Harden
LeBron: Davis
Steph: Giannis
LeBron: Boogie
Steph: Embiid
LeBron: Kyrie
Steph: DeRozen

Yeah I can't decide if Bron ended with Kyrie or Boogie. You're probably right.

Smart of Lebron to pick KP so he could get used to playing with him

Is this actually how it was picked rather than a snake draft like you'd usually do?

Is this actually how it was picked rather than a snake draft like you'd usually do?
They should have done snake but they didn’t.
LeBron got first pick in starters draft.
Steph got to pick his jersey color and got first pick in reserves.
Steph chose Draymond first and LeBron apparently picked Westbrook and allowed Steph to grab Klay next.
Last player on board was Victor Oladipo.

Max just expressed in 2 minutes what I've taken 5,000 posts to try to express. Drop the mic, Max.

Brutal injury.
Hope it’s a clean tear and he gets back ASAP.
He will still get a good contract so that is good.

They were just putting it together, too. Contract year for him as well.

Yeah, I was reading recovery time is like 6-10 months. They were gonna offer him 5/175. What kind of deal does he get now?

Yeah, I was reading recovery time is like 6-10 months. They were gonna offer him 5/175. What kind of deal does he get now?
He will get a max from somebody but his agent should be studying Embiid’s contract right now.
That is a max with incentives.
Achilles heal fully but he will lose some athleticism unless he drops weight.

Celtics are one scorer short from beating the Warriors.
Hayward could be that guy but GS has too many guys.
Have you come around to the idea that the Celtics can beat the Cavs in a series?

Have you come around to the idea that the Celtics can beat the Cavs in a series?
A couple of pages back I said the Cleveland D isn’t good enough now that I would favor them winning the East.
IT has hurt their D.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom