NBA 2018-2019 | Page 107 | Syracusefan.com

NBA 2018-2019

College basketball fandom is like being the parent of a C student. Deep down you know it’s mediocre but it’s yours and you love it and always will.
Accurate.

As opposed to college, which sucks for 40 minutes.

I have different levels of expectation from college kids than from pros. My college coach said he learned more from watching college ball because they make mistakes. That's been a watchpoint for me since.

I have different levels of expectation from college kids than from pros. My college coach said he learned more from watching college ball because they make mistakes. That's been a watchpoint for me since.
That's very noble.

I don't see it that way (I'm ignoring the sarcasm). Rather it's just being pragmatic. I spent 15 years coaching HS ball and 30 years reffing HS and college ball, and believe me, mistakes were often the dominant factor in the games. Mistakes shape the game at those levels.

That last shot was just amazing. Was legit like a movie.

I also can't believe how many bad possessions the Sixers had in the final few minutes

Those possessions were horrific. My hot take thoughts were “get Embiid in the post and dump it in”, and “get a real PG who can take control and create something when things break down”

If the NBA used FIBA rules a Philly player could have knocked the ball off the rim once it hit the rim and that shot wouldn’t have gone in.
Glad the NBA has the rules it does.

Embiid is a much better player than I ever thought. Dude has some serious skills in the lane, and a decent shooting touch.

Sixers need to throw that Embiid high action in the garbage. Its a bad possession most of the time. It takes forever to develop something, crowds the 3 point line for Redick/Butler, and the best case scenario is usually the occasional Embiid 3 or an Embiid pump fake and 5 second lumbering drive into traffic where you’re holding your breathe the whole time.

They should run that high action and clear out with Simmons as the screener like GS does with Draymond. it would open up the floor a bit and put Ben closer to his comfort zone making decisions with the ball with some space.

If the NBA used FIBA rules a Philly player could have knocked the ball off the rim once it hit the rim and that shot wouldn’t have gone in.
Glad the NBA has the rules it does.

The two rule systems (nominally the US and the rest off the world) are moving more and more toward each other. It started after the '92 Dream Team, which was immensely popular in Europe. For example, FIBA now plays 4 quarters and has a similar rule to using a time out to advance the ball in the last 2 minutes of the 4th. T's are one shot and return to point of interruption, whereas it used to be 2 and possession (which was a better rule). FIBA also uses a 24 second shot clock and an 8 second rule for moving the ball from the back court to the front court. Been playing that way in HS's here for over a decade - yep, Varsity boys to JV girls. And actually (and not intending to spite you, Alsacs) the no cylinder "rule" has been part of FIBA for decades and it almost never comes into play the way you're referencing. Just FTR.

Last edited:
Does Lillards count as a walk off? There was still time left.
And it wasn’t game 7 and it was a round earlier ... and it didn’t bounce on the rim 6 times before dropping in .. there really is no comparison

And it wasn’t game 7 and it was a round earlier ... and it didn’t bounce on the rim 6 times before dropping in .. there really is no comparison

For me, this part helps Lillard. Something about a swish. The bouncing around gave it an element of luck.

But yes, at this point coming a round later and in a game 7 makes Leonard’s a bigger shot.

For me, this part helps Lillard. Something about a swish. The bouncing around gave it an element of luck.

But yes, at this point coming a round later and in a game 7 makes Leonard’s a bigger shot.
I’m talking about suspense value here ..not shot quality ..even then Lillard wasnt chased into a corner by an agile Giant either ..

Luck?

ConventionalLimpCrocodile-size_restricted.gif

So we get bucks or raps in finals .. I’m cool with that ..

Yeah, as a Bucks fan, I'm obviously hoping it's the Bucks, but this is as far as I was realistically hoping to make it in the playoffs and I'd be pretty happy to see the Raptors in the Finals too. And it helps that I think these are the #2 and #3 teams in the league so we should at least have some sort of chance at beating the Warriors or at least making it a decent series to watch.

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but did Kawhi travel twice on that last possession?

The first time right after he catches the ball and turns around it looks like he shuffles his feet, and then a second before he releases the shot, he looks like he does a full shuffling of his feet.

Yeah, as a Bucks fan, I'm obviously hoping it's the Bucks, but this is as far as I was realistically hoping to make it in the playoffs and I'd be pretty happy to see the Raptors in the Finals too. And it helps that I think these are the #2 and #3 teams in the league so we should at least have some sort of chance at beating the Warriors or at least making it a decent series to watch.
You're doing a good job of managing your expectations, but as an outside observer I think the Bucks have a very good chance to win the championship.

Will the Raptors put Kawhi on Freak - they can't right? I think the Bucks are much better and in fact I think they give GSW all they want.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom