NBA 2018-2019 | Page 192 | Syracusefan.com

NBA 2018-2019

MacMullen said in Boston local TV last night that the Celtics offered Horford 4 years in the end but they weren’t going over 100 million and their was a team with that offer out there.
I read on Tuesday it was Dallas and I guess it was.

As a Boston fan, I appreciate what Horford's brought to the table, and how hard he played.

But 4 years / $118M is insane -- no wonder they let him go.

And kudos to AH for finding someone to pay him that as he sunsets.

I really think Melo ends up on the Lakers bench for the veterans minimum. He and LeBron are tight and LeBron trusts/knows Melo is someone who isn’t going to shy away from any big moment.

And I think if Melo understands his role and is ok with it he can be a guy that is effective spacing the floor and giving you some minutes off the bench.

I’d love to see him in a Laker uniform. I hope he is willing to accept some humbling terms.

I’d love to see him in a Laker uniform. I hope he is willing to accept some humbling terms.
He did that and then some in Houston last year. I think it’s clear now that he wasn’t the problem...just a scapegoat for two bitter coaches (one of whom was let go at the end of the season).

Hard to say between him and Bledsoe. Bledsoe was clearly the better player in the regular season the past two years but obviously needs to show way more in the playoffs. I think Brogdon probably gets a bigger contract than him too.

Also, seems like Bucks fans themselves forget this: Brogdon is only like 8 months younger than Middleton right now.

Anywho, I love his game and hope that we create cap space, use it to add a piece or two, and then sign Middleton and Brogdon after the fact but we’ll see how it goes.

Unrelated: Woj dropped a tidbit that Kawhi might meet with Philly when free agency begins. If my math is right, they can keep one of Tobias/Butler and still have room to sign Kawhi. That’s scary as hell.

My heard hurts from thinking about how to do the math, but that's crazy to think they could keep say Butler and add Kawhi.

He did that and then some in Houston last year. I think it’s clear now that he wasn’t the problem...just a scapegoat for two bitter coaches (one of whom was let go at the end of the season).

Melo made 28 mil last year. He’s going to have to take the vet minimum in LA.

He wasn't the entire problem, but they did play a lot better when he left, and he's not exactly very good anymore, so I dunno.

He wasn't the entire problem, but they did play a lot better when he left, and he's not exactly very good anymore, so I dunno.
They weren’t any better for the first 10 games after he was shelved. In my view, they improved once Harden and Paul were healthy, which they were not when Melo was playing.

Still, they had depth and rotation issues the entire year. I think they could have used Melo in the role he was expected to take on when he originally joined the team. Instead, he was forced into a starting role where he had to carry the scoring load while Harden and Paul each missed time.

If KD leaves for Nets I mean wow.

Stephen A. will be fun to watch.
Stephen A.’s meltdown post lottery selections was epic. This meltdown would be legendary

I don't think Melo has any interest in being a role player. He's scoffed at the idea of coming off the bench in the past.

Granted he didn't play a ton of minutes, but Melo had a net rating of -18 per 100 this year. (last year? whatever). I guess you can throw whatever qualifiers you want, but the team played a lot better without him, and I don't think its exactly a surprise they did. He's an offense only player who isn't a very good offensive player anymore

Man, they made so much out of that little quote though. Like...that was a completely media created narrative. Some reporter brought it up...not his coach, but some reporter. Melo said what he said, and suddenly its “Melo REFUSES to come off the bench!” Lol. Melo’s supposed to let some reporter put him on the bench?

Houston gave him little chance, and used him as a scapegoat for their bad start.

Man, they made so much out of that little quote though. Like...that was a completely media created narrative. Some reporter brought it up...not his coach, but some reporter. Melo said what he said, and suddenly its “Melo REFUSES to come off the bench!” Lol. Melo’s supposed to let some reporter put him on the bench?

Houston gave him little chance, and used him as a scapegoat for their bad start.
I don't know why Knicks411 decided to delete his post, but it was a good decision nonetheless.

So here is what I do want to talk about...

Who is signing Al Horford?? Windy (think it was him) said there's a strong belief he has 4/112 out there, and it's not from Dallas.

Using this link https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1T2Eg_zvqNqQD_5TpE4Ns6xhElatXdLpYG1roZtRLyvE/edit#gid=942104136

maybe the Clippers? Like, I think you could squeeze him and Kawhi in there. Horford is real good, but he is on the older side, so I think a team going for him would be one looking to compete right now, so teams with space like the Knicks, Hawks, Grizzlies Suns, and Pels don't seem to make sense, and if it's not Dallas, you can coutn them out also. Milwaukee would be super interesting, but they would need to let a lot of guys go.

There was talk before of Philly and Kawhi, maybe they could do Butler and Al and let Harris walk?

Define rational.

In this setting I would say being able to have a conversation involving criticism of certain human beings with a non-homer outlook.

Last edited:

Who is signing Al Horford?? Windy (think it was him) said there's a strong belief he has 4/112 out there, and it's not from Dallas.

Using this link https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1T2Eg_zvqNqQD_5TpE4Ns6xhElatXdLpYG1roZtRLyvE/edit#gid=942104136

maybe the Clippers? Like, I think you could squeeze him and Kawhi in there. Horford is real good, but he is on the older side, so I think a team going for him would be one looking to compete right now, so teams with space like the Knicks, Hawks, Grizzlies Suns, and Pels don't seem to make sense, and if it's not Dallas, you can coutn them out also. Milwaukee would be super interesting, but they would need to let a lot of guys go.

There was talk before of Philly and Kawhi, maybe they could do Butler and Al and let Harris walk?

Agree with you. The only way it makes sense to give Al 4 years at big money is if he's the guy that will put you over the top. Him in Dallas makes no sense. By the time they're ready to peak, he'll likely be a negative asset bloated contract.

In this setting I would say being able to have a conversation involving criticism of certain human beings with a non-homer outlook.
So anyone who disagrees with your (hot) takes regarding what Melo accomplished or didn’t accomplish in ten games last season is a homer?

I didn’t think the Clippers needed Horford before drafting Kabengele, so even less so now.

So anyone who disagrees with your (hot) takes regarding what Melo accomplished or didn’t accomplish in ten games last season is a homer?

Made 0 takes regarding Carmelo but I can see where you stand without even starting the conversation.

Made 0 takes regarding Carmelo but I can see where you stand without even starting the conversation.

Speaking for myself...I acknowledge I’m a Melo homer in that I want him to succeed more than anyone.

I don’t think it takes a homer to recognize the raw deal he’s gotten from the media in recent years though.

As far as Houston...10 games isn’t much.

It’s a fair point to suggest he’s washed - he’s 35 and 17 years past college. And a fair point to suggest his style of play is outdated for the NBA - the league has changed drastically in the last 5 years.

He could probably still beat half the league or more one on one but that’s not the style anymore.

I do think he’s such a skilled offensive player that he could possibly still find a role where he can contribute. There’s so many “bad” defenders in the league that can contribute offensively. It’s an offensive league.

*Even defensively, what Melo can do might be largely outdated. He’s a horse in terms of strength for his size and he got zero media credit for going in the paint and giving the much larger David West all kinds of problems in that NY-Indiana series - but David West types don’t even get any run anymore.

Or you could read my posts above. Show me what’s irrational.

(I did mistakenly say Paul was injured when he was actually suspended.)

I do think he’s such a skilled offensive player that he could possibly still find a role where he can contribute. There’s so many “bad” defenders in the league that can contribute offensively. It’s an offensive league.

I think you are underrating the amount of defence that is played by most playoff level teams. It's not just an offensive league.

If you are a good team you can't afford to put in too many bad defenders. If you put a weak defender on the floor teams will start to expose them rather quickly. Especially those who are not only weak but have bad compete level such as Melo at times.

Just thinking of the eastern quarters and semi-s.

Raptors had no bad defenders in the 8 man rotation.,

Sixers had Tobias Harris who is average. They played Redick less minutes then normal because of his defence.

Bucks had a very good defensive team. Mirotic and Lopez may have been the only average defenders -- although Lopez was effective on D early in the series.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom