NBA 2018-2019 | Page 193 | Syracusefan.com

NBA 2018-2019

What's the point of having the NBA awards tonight for the last season? The Season has been over for 10 days, the draft has happened, and everyone is on to Free Agency. This is stupid timing.
TNT wants original programming for the summer. It’s stupid but that is why.

What's the point of having the NBA awards tonight for the last season? The Season has been over for 10 days, the draft has happened, and everyone is on to Free Agency. This is stupid timing.

Totally agree. Used to love when guys would get their awards during the playoffs. I went to a Knick game when Chandler won the DPOY. Awesome

No need to go into the background of why I was looking him up, but I was on Eric Gordon's basketball ref page yesterday and I noticed this season he averaged 2.5 reb per 36 minutes and 2.2 assists and I thought those were ridiculously low totals. He scored 18.4 per 36, so I checked, in NBA history, there have been 4 other seasons with more than 18 points per 36, and less than 2.5 assists and rebounds per 36 (not combined, less than 2.5 assists per 36 and less than 2.5 reb per 36), including 2 by the same guy. 2 of them were pretty long ago, Johnny Newman in 1998 and Jeff Malone in 1993. The other guy has done it twice, and is currently active. Any guesses?

No need to go into the background of why I was looking him up, but I was on Eric Gordon's basketball ref page yesterday and I noticed this season he averaged 2.5 reb per 36 minutes and 2.2 assists and I thought those were ridiculously low totals. He scored 18.4 per 36, so I checked, in NBA history, there have been 4 other seasons with more than 18 points per 36, and less than 2.5 assists and rebounds per 36 (not combined, less than 2.5 assists per 36 and less than 2.5 reb per 36), including 2 by the same guy. 2 of them were pretty long ago, Johnny Newman in 1998 and Jeff Malone in 1993. The other guy has done it twice, and is currently active. Any guesses?

JJ Redick?

H/t to r/nba for this, but the MVP, DPOY, MIP and 6MOY all did not play NCAA b-ball.

Thought that was interesting.

Close, but wrong. I don't know why people think Siakam came from Europe. He played 2 or 3 years in college before he went to the NBA.

The MVP, DPOY, ROY and MIP all being non-Americans is true though.

Close, but wrong. I don't know why people think Siakam came from Europe. He played 2 or 3 years in college before he went to the NBA.

Ahhh, should have double checked. Never knew he did so well at NMSU.

'17-'18 Tyus Battle. 19.2 pts, 2.9 reb, 2.1 asts in 39 mpg. NBA vs College obvioiusly but I used to freak out about his lack of ability to bring anything other than inefficient scoring despite being a superior athlete to a lot of guys on the court and having great size.

*Feel like this is a safer board to not get dumped on by the usuals for possibly bringing up one of our guys not being the greatest thing ever.

'17-'18 Tyus Battle. 19.2 pts, 2.9 reb, 2.1 asts in 39 mpg. NBA vs College obvioiusly but I used to freak out about his lack of ability to bring anything other than inefficient scoring despite being a superior athlete to a lot of guys on the court and having great size.

*Feel like this is a safer board to not get dumped on by the usuals for possibly bringing up one of our guys not being the greatest thing ever.

Tyus had the ability to expand his game but didn’t while in college. Hopefully he works towards doing so in the g league or wherever he may end up.

Yeah, his lack of bringing anything else to the floor is really what sunk his NBA hopes IMO. He has the athleticism to potentially defend in the NBA and offer some scoring upside on top of that, but it's just way too much of a projection for an upperclassman to get drafted.

Reports pouring in that the Celtics may pursue Kemba. I had been telling my friend that despite the Celtics season going off the hinges a bit, I thought they had a chance for a really nice recovery with both Kyrie and Horford leaving to open up cap space for them. Something like Kemba + Dewayne Dedmon or Robin Lopez is at least a possibility and that would make the Celtics a very dangerous team once again.

Reports pouring in that the Celtics may pursue Kemba. I had been telling my friend that despite the Celtics season going off the hinges a bit, I thought they had a chance for a really nice recovery with both Kyrie and Horford leaving to open up cap space for them. Something like Kemba + Dewayne Dedmon or Robin Lopez is at least a possibility and that would make the Celtics a very dangerous team once again.

Of all the FAs, the one that I most want to move is Kemba. Don't even care where he goes but just want to see him play in some games that matter before he's washed.

Kyrie to Kemba is probably a 20% talent decrease difference but probably a 100% improvement in team chemistry.
Kyrie split that team in half.

If the Celtics can get Kemba they are probably the 4th team in the East possibly 3rd if Kawhi goes West.

They could MLE a replacement for Horford. Robert Williams could replace Horford’s defense but they would need the young guys to replace his offense.

That's a real solid comp. And even worse because he had the ball in his hands all the time.

Man, he shot 39.9% from the field that year too

Would like Kemba to the Celtics. (For Boston. Not me. I don't like Boston)

The funny thing about Siakam is I know he played in college, but I have no recollection of it. And I watch a lot of college basketball! He played 2 years, he was really really good his second year, he won WAC POY. His team was pretty good, played in the tournament his first year, and he was a first round pick. By all rights, I should have some memory of him. And yet

The way people talk about him these days, I would’ve assumed Carmelo did it every season - along with playing no defense.

Johnny Newman was in the league in 1998? Jeez. I remember him with the Knicks in the late 80s and Charlotte in the early 90s. Then kicking around a bit in the mid 90s...Bucks? Doesn’t seem like a guy who was still around and getting playing time in the late 90s.

Jeff Malone...yeah, that guy could really stick it from just inside the 3 point line and put points on the board, and do nothing else. My uncle was a huge Bullets fan and had a satellite dish. I spent a lot of time over there watching NBA as a kid.

The way people talk about him these days, I would’ve assumed Carmelo did it every season - along with playing no defense.

Johnny Newman was in the league in 1998? Jeez. I remember him with the Knicks in the late 80s and Charlotte in the early 90s. Then kicking around a bit in the mid 90s...Bucks? Doesn’t seem like a guy who was still around and getting playing time in the late 90s.

Jeff Malone...yeah, that guy could really stick it from just inside the 3 point line and put points on the board, and do nothing else. My uncle was a huge Bullets fan and had a satellite dish. I spent a lot of time over there watching NBA as a kid.

Jeff Malone was always a Jazz (member of the Jazz? how does this work??) My mind was probably blown by the fact that they had 2 guys named Malone on the team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom