NBA 2018-2019 | Page 28 | Syracusefan.com

NBA 2018-2019

At least the top of the East appears to be capable of competing with the West this year. I’ll continue to expect the Warriors to win it all until it doesn’t happen but this is the first time in like 5 years that I’ve felt like other teams have at least some chance of winning.
If by the top of the East you mean the Raptors and the Bucks, sure.

The Pacers aren't scaring anybody, and the Celtics and 76ers both have weird team dynamics right now.

So I say this, and I see that the Bucks have a point differential of +10 this year per game, which would be 12th best of all time, which is pretty damn good, and 1.5 better than Houston last year. Granted, easier to do it over half a season than a full season, but maybe I'm wrong here. Houston does have 2 legit great players though, and the Bucks just the one

And to be fair, this is all hindsight for me in pumping Houston up anyway, since last year I thought the Warriors would roll them

I can't remember where I read the article, but someone also pointed out that the Bucks have played like the most difficult schedule in the league so far this season and that their schedule is like the easiest in the league from here on out.

I expect some regression regardless and I'm still not getting my hopes up about the Bucks winning more than maybe one playoff series, but they've seriously played like the best team in the NBA up to this point.

The Pacers aren't scaring anybody, and the Celtics and 76ers both have weird team dynamics right now.
You overrate the West after Golden State.
Denver, Oklahoma City, Portland, Houston, LA Clippers, San Antonio aren’t as good as the top of the East.

Giannis,Embiid, Kyrie, Leonard, Oladipo beats Jokic, Westbrook, George, Hardin, Aldridge.
Golden State is the West advantage.

Brooklyn is a solid team.
Without Golden State I would favor the East champion over whoever came out of the West.

I think all 5 of those teams can compete with anyone in the West outside of Golden State

I can't remember where I read the article, but someone also pointed out that the Bucks have played like the most difficult schedule in the league so far this season and that their schedule is like the easiest in the league from here on out.

I expect some regression regardless and I'm still not getting my hopes up about the Bucks winning more than maybe one playoff series, but they've seriously played like the best team in the NBA up to this point.

Take a look at the projections towards the right of these standings. The Bucks are projected to win 25 more games, not really more than the other top four in the East (23 to 25 more games). The West is totally different. Warriors projected to win 26. The Jazz 21 and everyone else in the high teens. It really does show in the west who has had easy, who has had hard and what teams are contenders and who are pretenders.

Most likely will come down to whoever is the healthiest and what coaches choose to rest guys down the stretch. Just kills me that some teams will give a game up on the road to rest 1/2 their lineup.
2018-19 NBA Basketball Standings

So here's a stat. 5 days ago, the NBA record for most 3 pointers taken in a game was 61, set by the Rockets on 12/16/16. (So last season). Then on Wednesday, they took 70 3's against Brooklyn. (Granted, game went to OT, but they had like 64 in regulation). Then, last night, they took 63 in regulation before ending the game with 68. So their last two games they've taken the 2 most 3 point attempts in any game in NBA history.

Another look at it; there have been 13 games in NBA history where a team has taken 55 or more 3 pointers in a game. 9 of them are from the Rockets

So here's a stat. 5 days ago, the NBA record for most 3 pointers taken in a game was 61, set by the Rockets on 12/16/16. (So last season). Then on Wednesday, they took 70 3's against Brooklyn. (Granted, game went to OT, but they had like 64 in regulation). Then, last night, they took 63 in regulation before ending the game with 68. So their last two games they've taken the 2 most 3 point attempts in any game in NBA history.

Another look at it; there have been 13 games in NBA history where a team has taken 55 or more 3 pointers in a game. 9 of them are from the Rockets

It’s jumped the shark. They’re boring to watch.

It’s jumped the shark. They’re boring to watch.

Honestly, I have watched a decent amount of their last 2 games and I'm kind of digging it. I want to see how far it can go.

Never thought I’d say this, but I’m kind of sick of the amount of threes being taken, the lack of effort put into offensive rebounding and the lack of post play.

Never thought I’d say this, but I’m kind of sick of the amount of threes being taken, the lack of effort put into offensive rebounding and the lack of post play.

Yup. A lot of the skill, physicality, and athleticism isn’t really on display anymore. These games resemble pickup games or YMCA league games featuring great shooters that happen to have NBA size(but don’t use it for much).

I like watching low post play. I like watching guys like Melo and Kobe use their skill and footwork and savvy to get buckets. I like watching guys hustle and crash the glass.

Jumpshooting contests get boring to me. I like balance in the game. Kinda miss when teams would have 1 or 2 “shooters” and then a few other guys who could make them if left open...meaning they also had low post scorers, bangers, mid range scorers, etc on the roster as well.

I think D'antoni is overrated but felt last year they had the best team in the league when healthy.

You overrate the West after Golden State.
Denver, Oklahoma City, Portland, Houston, LA Clippers, San Antonio aren’t as good as the top of the East.

Giannis,Embiid, Kyrie, Leonard, Oladipo beats Jokic, Westbrook, George, Hardin, Aldridge.
Golden State is the West advantage.

Brooklyn is a solid team.
Without Golden State I would favor the East champion over whoever came out of the West.
You're not getting my argument at all, and Eastern Conference apologists are pointing to the separation of the Top 5 in the East as evidence of conference quality.

I'm saying that separation is evidence of how poor the conference is. We can't acknowledge in one breath that four of the five worst teams in the NBA are in the East and praise the top of the East for separation while knocking the top of the West for not differentiating itself. The West is a battle, the East has nights off. A lot of nights off.

Your hypothetical all-star team of East vs West contenders sans Warriors isn't evidence of anything, and I soundly reject it, because that's not a circumstance that plays out in any setting, and conveniently casts aside a whole lot of other elite talent in the West that the East simply can't match.

Take every "contender" in the East with a grain of salt until they actually accomplish something.

West rules, East drools, and in the wise words of the great philosopher Stephon Marbury, that's factorial.

Last edited:
You're not getting my argument at all, and Eastern Conference apologists are pointing to the separation of the Top 5 in the East as evidence of conference quality.

I'm saying that separation is evidence of how poor the conference is. We can't acknowledge in one breath that four of the five worst teams in the NBA are in the East and praise the top of the East for separation while knocking the top of the West for not differentiating itself. The West is a battle, the East has nights off. A lot of nights off.

Your hypothetical all-star team of East vs West contenders sans Warriors isn't evidence of anything, and I soundly reject it, because that's not a circumstance that plays out in any setting, and conveniently casts aside a whole lot of other elite talent in the West that the East simply can't match.

Take every "contender" in the East with a grain of salt until they actually accomplish something.

West rules, East drools, and in the wise words of the great philosopher Stephon Marbury, that's factorial.
The East is getting better. I think the West has more talent but just because the 2-13 in the West are cluttered together doesn’t mean all those teams would do damage in the East.
I think the East 1-6 is better than the West 1-6.
The 7-13 in the East is worse than the West 7-13 but honestly the middle/bottom doesn’t really matter.
Thanks to analytics teams don’t want to be medicore and the teams in the East are trying to bottom out instead of being Minnesota.
I do think Toronto, Boston, Milwaukee, Philadelphia are better as a group than whoever you want to say from the West.
I do think Golden State is by far the best team though.
Previously the WCF have been the de facto NBA Finals. This year I think the East champion will give Golden State a more difficult series than any team out West.

The East is getting better. I think the West has more talent but just because the 2-13 in the West are cluttered together doesn’t mean all those teams would do damage in the East.
I think the East 1-6 is better than the West 1-6.
The 7-13 in the East is worse than the West 7-13 but honestly the middle/bottom doesn’t really matter.
Thanks to analytics teams don’t want to be medicore and the teams in the East are trying to bottom out instead of being Minnesota.
I do think Toronto, Boston, Milwaukee, Philadelphia are better as a group than whoever you want to say from the West.
I do think Golden State is by far the best team though.
Previously the WCF have been the de facto NBA Finals. This year I think the East champion will give Golden State a more difficult series than any team out West.
Those West teams would absolutely do damage in the East.

If you're a top 3 team in the East right now your playoff matchups would be 3 completely non-descript teams in the Nets, Heat and Hornets.

In the West you're matched up against Popovich, the reigning defensive player of the year, and then Doc Rivers or King James as the 8th seed.

Which group does damage?

I'm not even sure how to interpret this stat as good or bad.. but it is amazing.

In the last 3 games, James Harden has 163 points, and not one of his baskets has been assisted.

Really can't underestimate this; outside of the Suns, every west team is at least ok. In the east? Well

That said, I do think the best east teams are basically of the same quality as the best west teams, minus the Warriors.

I'm not even sure how to interpret this stat as good or bad.. but it is amazing.

In the last 3 games, James Harden has 163 points, and not one of his baskets has been assisted.

It’s just brutal to watch. I couldn’t imagine playing on his team. How boring.

That said, I do think the best east teams are basically of the same quality as the best west teams, minus the Warriors.
But what are you basing that on? I just don't see it.

Yet based on how Harden is covered by the ESPN people you would think his scoring is simply must see basketball.
Harden’s step back is only unguardable because he travels.

Last edited:
Record vs West Conference Only... only includes the top 5 in overall record in both conferences.

Top 5 East
#1. Toronto .722
#2. Philadelphia .714
#3. Milwaukee. 688
#4. Indiana .533
#5. Boston .526
Overall Avg - ,637

Top 5 West
1. Golden St .667
2. Denver .667
3. San Antonio .588
4. OKC .533
5. Portland .484
Overall Avg .586

To me this shows the top 5 in the East are up there with the top 5 in the West. I thought, excluding Golden St, they were a tad better before this, and this analysis above does nothing to change my mind. Of course Golden St is in a league by itself.

Last edited:
But what are you basing that on? I just don't see it.

Basically just what I think of the players on the rosters, and the records jncuse posted above

I think there are a ton of good teams in the west, but I think there's a huge drop off after the Warriors.

You said above to take all the east contenders with a grain of salt until they accomplish something, which is fair, but what have the west teams accomplished outside of the Warriors? Last years Rockets were definitely a great team, but with Paul hurt and/or in decline, I don't see them at that level this year.

Basically just what I think of the players on the rosters, and the records jncuse posted above

I think there are a ton of good teams in the west, but I think there's a huge drop off after the Warriors.

You said above to take all the east contenders with a grain of salt until they accomplish something, which is fair, but what have the west teams accomplished outside of the Warriors? Last years Rockets were definitely a great team, but with Paul hurt and/or in decline, I don't see them at that level this year.
The difference is, teams in the West are actively trying to get better to unseat the Warriors, whereas the Eastern teams spent years trying to time when to be competitive post-Lebron instead of team building. I think that's why you're seeing these mishmashed teams with chemistry problems in the East.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom