NBA 2018-2019 | Page 44 | Syracusefan.com

NBA 2018-2019

Okay, NOW John Wall's contract is probably the most untradable in the league. Slipped and fell at home, rupturing his Achilles. Out for 12 months and who knows what he'll be when he comes back.
Ernie Grunfeld still has a job

so the knicks offer who to get this done? Their pick, Knox, Trier, Frank and the young kid backup C?

Mannix is reporting Celtics have refused to directly dangle Tatum in trade talks but the Pelicans have the impression nothing is off the table. I feel like everyone can see a mile away that Tatum isn't going to be offered to the Pelicans except the Pelicans.

I'm confused by the "directly" qualifier. Boston either offered him or they didn't.

so the knicks offer who to get this done? Their pick, Knox, Trier, Frank and the young kid backup C?

If the Pelicans are interested in trading him to the Knicks, they'll likely wait until the offseason to see where the pick ends up.

I can see Pelicans cleaning house, hiring a President of Basketball Ops, new GM and then a new coach and they will handle the trade for Davis whatever that will be.

Mannix is reporting Celtics have refused to directly dangle Tatum in trade talks but the Pelicans have the impression nothing is off the table. I feel like everyone can see a mile away that Tatum isn't going to be offered to the Pelicans except the Pelicans.

I don't agree with that at all. This same Lakers package is going to be sitting there in July and if the Celts don't put Tatum in then they don't get Davis and everything they planned for in anticipating this situation will have been for nothing. The only thing that happens now is that the Pelicans can bottom out for the rest of the year and have a better pick in the draft while also seeing where the Knicks/Lakers/Celtics picks all end up in reality instead of just theoretically. My job in life is literally to negotiate, the majority of the time from a point of weakness. Being forced into a deal this week would be absolutely stupid, especially without getting a single premium piece back.

If the Pelicans are interested in trading him to the Knicks, they'll likely wait until the offseason to see where the pick ends up.

That's right on point. Even if they were to finish with the worst record in the league, they have a better chance at picking 5th then they do 1st. Absolutely can't make a deal for a pick like that without waiting especially in a 2 player draft.

I don't agree with that at all. This same Lakers package is going to be sitting there in July and if the Celts don't put Tatum in then they don't get Davis and everything they planned for in anticipating this situation will have been for nothing. The only thing that happens now is that the Pelicans can bottom out for the rest of the year and have a better pick in the draft while also seeing where the Knicks/Lakers/Celtics picks all end up in reality instead of just theoretically. My job in life is literally to negotiate, the majority of the time from a point of weakness. Being forced into a deal this week would be absolutely stupid, especially without getting a single premium piece back.

Agree 100% and if Kyrie does stay with Boston I think Tatum will be on the block and will be the first piece that needs to be included for a trade with AD. There are also other teams other than the 3 being mentioned that can put together offers as well

Agree 100% and if Kyrie does stay with Boston I think Tatum will be on the block and will be the first piece that needs to be included for a trade with AD. There are also other teams other than the 3 being mentioned that can put together offers as well

For certain. I'd probably rather have a Raptors package of Siakam, OG and Van Vleet over the Lakers offer if the Raptors want to make a push with or without Kawhi before Lowry is too old and they have to reboot. July 1st opens all of the doors, making a deal now would be negligent.

For certain. I'd probably rather have a Raptors package of Siakam, OG and Van Vleet over the Lakers offer if the Raptors want to make a push with or without Kawhi before Lowry is too old and they have to reboot. July 1st opens all of the doors, making a deal now would be negligent.

yeah and if the Pelicans do restructure the front office it gives those people a chance to pave the way for the future and start building a team with their vision. Pretty straight forward really. Pelicans are making the right call. Too many unknowns in too many areas to pull the trigger now.

At this point I honestly I don’t want Anthony Davis after what his dad said.
That crap really was garbage.
Just say you want LA what he is doing to NO during the season is garbage.
Why he couldn’t wait till the end of the year and not ruined the season of his organization.

In the ideal situation for Boston and NO Kyrie resigns and then Ainge gives Tatum up for Davis and calls his bluff on the one year and out stance. Recently, Kyrie isn't making it seem like him staying is a definite though and if Kyrie leaves and Davis is openly saying I'm leaving Boston after one year then Ainge risking Tatum on his Davis gamble isn't a sure thing. It's probably pretty unlikely which makes the Celtics offer much less appealing.

Agreed on the Lakers position and their public stance of we make the deal now or the offer is worse in the summer while we focus on other targets is probably a bluff.

Personally, I think the Knicks are in a great spot to get him if the lottery works out in their favor.

In the ideal situation for Boston and NO Kyrie resigns and then Ainge gives Tatum up for Davis and calls his bluff on the one year and out stance. Recently, Kyrie isn't making it seem like him staying is a definite though and if Kyrie leaves and Davis is openly saying I'm leaving Boston after one year then Ainge risking Tatum on his Davis gamble isn't a sure thing. It's probably pretty unlikely which makes the Celtics offer much less appealing.

Agreed on the Lakers position and their public stance of we make the deal now or the offer is worse in the summer while we focus on other targets is probably a bluff.

Personally, I think the Knicks are in a great spot to get him if the lottery works out in their favor.
Kyrie is frustrated with Jaylen Brown.
That is causing tension in the Celtics locker room.
Celtics have been a roll recently and are up to 3rd in the East and only 3 games behind Toronto.
They could easily finish 2nd in the East and in the playoffs go on a roll to the Finals.
If the Celtics go to the Finals I don’t see Kyrie leaving.
They will trade Jaylen Brown and use their assets to make a run at Anthony Davis.
I don’t want Davis after his dad basically ripping Boston.

Kyrie is frustrated with Jaylen Brown.
That is causing tension in the Celtics locker room.
Celtics have been a roll recently and are up to 3rd in the East and only 3 games behind Toronto.
They could easily finish 2nd in the East and in the playoffs go on a roll to the Finals.
If the Celtics go to the Finals I don’t see Kyrie leaving.
They will trade Jaylen Brown and use their assets to make a run at Anthony Davis.
I don’t want Davis after his dad basically ripping Boston.

0 people will care what his dad says if he helps the team win games. Guy was likely just following Rich Pauls extraction plan. Jim Kelly himself basically called Buffalo a crap hole and refused to come to the Bills after they drafted him and at this point he's probably the most beloved athlete in the citys history.

I can see Pelicans cleaning house, hiring a President of Basketball Ops, new GM and then a new coach and they will handle the trade for Davis whatever that will be.

This is what’s happening and I think everyone is overthinking this. They have NFL people controlling Demps st al.

I’m guessing AD is still going to the Lakers and that was locked once Rich Paul was signed as his agent.

He gave four teams that he’d sign with, two of which don’t have the assets to get him (Bucks, Clippers) and one that needs to hit the Zion lottery and still might not have enough. The fourth was the Lakers.

Cs should hold their young core, Hayward will get better, let Kyrie walk and they’ll be fine.

not to wish ill on anyone, but i will find it hilarious if the lakers empty their roster & mortgage their future for ad, then find out that la lebron is aging, injury prone lebron, and davis spends his laker seasons just like his pelican seasons - chasing an 8 seed and usually falling short

not to wish ill on anyone, but i will find it hilarious if the lakers empty their roster & mortgage their future for ad, then find out that la lebron is aging, injury prone lebron, and davis spends his laker seasons just like his pelican seasons - chasing an 8 seed and usually falling short
Oh don't worry, they'll also employ and fire several coaches over that time too.

Ballsy as hell by Philly. That’s a ton to give up and they’re now staring down the barrel of four max deals within a year or two (whenever Simmons is up).

Also will be interesting to see how Tobias feels going from being the go-to guy in LA to being the 4th option here. Supposedly he’s the type of guy that can blend in personality wise but I don’t know...it’s likely going to require a major sacrifice from him to make this work.

Meanwhile the Clippers could theoretically be in play for Anthony Davis now and then use him to recruit Kawhi. In the very least this is an incredible deal for them; essentially got 4 first round picks for a guy they didn’t even want to re-sign this offseason.

Last edited:

Ballsy as hell by Philly. That’s a ton to give up and they’re now staring down the barrel of four max deals within a year or two (whenever Simmons is up).

Also will be interesting to see how Tobias feels going from being the go-to guy in LA to being the 4th option here. Supposedly he’s the type of guy that can blend in personality wise but I don’t know...it’s likely going to require a major sacrifice from him to make this work.

Meanwhile the Clippers could theoretically be in play for Anthony Davis now and then use him to recruit Kawhi. In the very least this is an incredible deal for them; essentially got 4 first round picks for a guy they didn’t even want to re-sign this offseason.

I'm so interested in what this means. Are they looking to keep all 4 long term and now have leverage to only have to offer Butler a 4 year max instead of getting stuck with that 5th year that everyone knows will be horrible. Is it an admittance that Butler is a sunk cost and isn't fitting in and they are going to look to deal him by tomorrow to recoup whatever assets they can and now have a guy that fits their stars timeline better both age-wise and in demeanor and playing style. If they hit the buyout market as hard as last year and add another 1 or 2 rotation pieces and have enough time to gel, they really are going to be a problem for everyone in the spring.

Fascinating for the Clippers too. Great job grabbing a premium asset (that '21 Miami pick) for a guy that it looks like they didn't care to re-sign at the cost it is going to take. Can't blame them, Harris absolutely isn't a guy that should be making more than $25m a year but he's probably going to get it and it's a lot easier to justify if he's your 3rd or 4th guy which means you are contending for championships at that point.

I'm so interested in what this means. Are they looking to keep all 4 long term and now have leverage to only have to offer Butler a 4 year max instead of getting stuck with that 5th year that everyone knows will be horrible. Is it an admittance that Butler is a sunk cost and isn't fitting in and they are going to look to deal him by tomorrow to recoup whatever assets they can and now have a guy that fits their stars timeline better both age-wise and in demeanor and playing style. If they hit the buyout market as hard as last year and add another 1 or 2 rotation pieces and have enough time to gel, they really are going to be a problem for everyone in the spring.

Fascinating for the Clippers too. Great job grabbing a premium asset (that '21 Miami pick) for a guy that it looks like they didn't care to re-sign at the cost it is going to take. Can't blame them, Harris absolutely isn't a guy that should be making more than $25m a year but he's probably going to get it and it's a lot easier to justify if he's your 3rd or 4th guy which means you are contending for championships at that point.

Philly is at least saying that they want to sign all four of their guys to max contracts and just pay the massive luxury tax bill that will come with it.

I'm not entirely convinced that Butler and Tobias will be happy being the 3rd and 4th options though. Feels like there's a pretty decent chance this doesn't work out as well as Philly hopes it will. Certainly makes them a scarier team to face if it does work out though.

I'd still bet on Toronto, Boston, and Milwaukee over them at this point until they prove otherwise though.

Man, was really hoping there would be a way for the Jazz to land Harris. He'd fit great on that team.

Philly is at least saying that they want to sign all four of their guys to max contracts and just pay the massive luxury tax bill that will come with it.

I'm not entirely convinced that Butler and Tobias will be happy being the 3rd and 4th options though. Feels like there's a pretty decent chance this doesn't work out as well as Philly hopes it will. Certainly makes them a scarier team to face if it does work out though.

I'd still bet on Toronto, Boston, and Milwaukee over them at this point until they prove otherwise though.

Can you even imagine if the Kings fall apart and somehow win the lotto and the 6ers got that pick. Holy hell.

I don’t like the trade for Philadelphia but I am happy for the Clippers.
Harris is not going to be worth the max contract and financial strain he will put on the 76ers.

Clippers got that 2021 Miami unprotected pick that is what Philadelphia got for trading down last draft. Awful overpayment by Elton Brand.

I really hope Anthony Davis ends up with Kawhi with the Clippers.
After LeBron and his guy Rich Paul did the hit job on Boston they did with Anthony Davis screw him and the Lakers.

If Davis and Kawhi end up with the Clippers and LeBron is trapped in a 4 year deal with no opt outs. Enjoy the weather LeBron.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom