NBA 2018-2019 | Page 66 | Syracusefan.com

NBA 2018-2019

Spurs have won eight in a row. Pop won’t win COY, but he should be in the top three with Bud and Doc.
And to think I had them out of the playoffs before the season. Never doubt Pop. Never

It truly is amazing. They are like the Pats of the NBA, only with an even longer sustained period of excellence.

I don't think we'll see anything like this in professional sports again -- what a front office. And not only was the HC an all time great [who belongs on the Mount Rushmore of NBA head coaches], but they also had the rare superstar personnel who bought into the blue collar approach / system.

It truly is amazing. They are like the Pats of the NBA, only with an even longer sustained period of excellence.

I don't think we'll see anything like this in professional sports again -- what a front office. And not only was the HC an all time great [who belongs on the Mount Rushmore of NBA head coaches], but they also had the rare superstar personnel who bought into the blue collar approach / system.

It's probably even more amazing than the Pats since they've somewhat carried on after the main star left while we haven't seen the Pats without Brady. Then again, the Pats have basically been a super bowl level team for the last 18 years or so, while the Spurs have now fallen off a little to merely very good team. I dunno.

The Spurs thing really is amazing; you take it back past Pop even; they've been very good every season since 1990-91 (seriously, in that period, they have won more than 47 games every year), with the exception of the one year they were really bad and won the lottery. So obviously they did get a little lucky with the timing; imagine how much different the NBA would have been the last 25 years if Duncan decided to come out a year early.

It's probably even more amazing than the Pats since they've somewhat carried on after the main star left while we haven't seen the Pats without Brady. Then again, the Pats have basically been a super bowl level team for the last 18 years or so, while the Spurs have now fallen off a little to merely very good team. I dunno.

The Spurs thing really is amazing; you take it back past Pop even; they've been very good every season since 1990-91 (seriously, in that period, they have won more than 47 games every year), with the exception of the one year they were really bad and won the lottery. So obviously they did get a little lucky with the timing; imagine how much different the NBA would have been the last 25 years if Duncan decided to come out a year early.

Remember when Pitino took the Celtics job thinking he’d get Duncan and ended up with Billups((who he traded in like 6 months) and Mercer? LOL!!!!

Remember when Pitino took the Celtics job thinking he’d get Duncan and ended up with Billups((who he traded in like 6 months) and Mercer? LOL!!!!
Tim Duncan wasn't walking through that door.

Yeah, tough break there for poor Rick.

I just went back and looked; they had the two picks, so they had a 35% chance of winning. Also, based on this
NBA Draft Lottery History - RealGM

The Grizzlies had the worst record, but 0% chance of the top pick; I'm thinking maybe since they were a new team they werent allowed to pick first that year or something? Anyone remember?

Yeah, tough break there for poor Rick.

I just went back and looked; they had the two picks, so they had a 35% chance of winning. Also, based on this
NBA Draft Lottery History - RealGM

The Grizzlies had the worst record, but 0% chance of the top pick; I'm thinking maybe since they were a new team they werent allowed to pick first that year or something? Anyone remember?
Yeah, expansion teams get treated differently.

I sat 10 rows from the floor at a fairly meaningless NBA game last night (Grizzlies @ Wizards) and had so much fun. The players seem almost robotic in how good they are, it almost feels like you're watching a different sport than college basketball. There's just no other sport where you're that intimately close to athletes that are so recognizable to you.

I also loved the people watching amongst the assistant coaches. Being 20-30 feet away from Jerry Stackhouse and Nick Van Exel was cool.

And the cliche that NBA players don't play defense is so stupid. It is intense.

I sat 10 rows from the floor at a fairly meaningless NBA game last night (Grizzlies @ Wizards) and had so much fun. The players seem almost robotic in how good they are, it almost feels like you're watching a different sport than college basketball. There's just no other sport where you're that intimately close to athletes that are so recognizable to you.

I also loved the people watching amongst the assistant coaches. Being 20-30 feet away from Jerry Stackhouse and Nick Van Exel was cool.

Ha, there was a point in time around 1995-97 or so where Van Exel and Stackhouse were my two favorite NBA players.

I played my 9th grade JV season in Stackhouse’s first sneaker.

You're not wrong.

Agree. It's so wrong. Are there some possessions over the course of a game, of which there are 82, where the defensive intensity fades some? Of course. But people confuse elite offense with bad defense.

Agree. It's so wrong. Are there some possessions over the course of a game, of which there are 82, where the defensive intensity fades some? Of course. But people confuse elite offense with bad defense.

There's probably a minimum of 15-20 times a game where a defender could not have defended a player any better and the guy still makes the contested shot or finish at the rim because NBA players really are just that good.

Ha, there was a point in time around 1995-97 or so where Van Exel and Stackhouse were my two favorite NBA players.

I played my 9th grade JV season in Stackhouse’s first sneaker.

Were they the Filas? Forget if it was him or Grant Hill or started out with Fila.

Remember being in like 7th grade and getting the red Stackhouse jersey his rookie year and being pumped.

How close were Sheed/Stack to playing with Jamison and Vince?

How close were Sheed/Stack to playing with Jamison and Vince?

Looks like they missed by just a year. Sheed & Stack took off after their Soph years (94-95) and Antawn & Vince got their in 95-96.

My favorite sporting event to attend for sure. good seats at an NBA game are so much fun.. Always leave amazed at how good they are. Big and athletic, they make everything look so easy and the court just looks smaller as they cover so much ground, a 24 footer looks mid range for these guys as well.

Looks like they missed by just a year. Sheed & Stack took off after their Soph years (94-95) and Antawn & Vince got their in 95-96.

Yup. I lived down in NC during that 94-95 season. Rasheed hurt his ankle in the ACC tournament and that was supposedly what put him over the edge for leaving early.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom