NBA 2018-2019 | Page 84 | Syracusefan.com

NBA 2018-2019

I don't disagree but I'm not sure what anyone could do with the roster they have. For the record I think the NBA coach is the most overrated impact in sports. There is a reason Phil and Pat only took coaching jobs where there was good talent.

Back to Donovan - you tied the hands of any coach when you signed Russ (who I guess you had to sign to get PG). If I am a fan of OKC I am thinking you need to move one of those two as it seems that your ceiling is the 4/5 series. Where do they go from here?

It's tough because Westbrook and PG are one of the best duos in the league, but Westbrook has been in the league like 11 or 12 years now and still has not learned how he should actually play basketball.

They certainly need to mix it up in some way. I would guess they try to move Steven Adams this offseason. Maybe they could swing something like Adams/Grant/something else for Blake Griffin or something if they want to.

Westbrook might ultimately hold them back forever, but I'm just not sure they can upgrade their team by moving him.

It's tough because Westbrook and PG are one of the best duos in the league, but Westbrook has been in the league like 11 or 12 years now and still has not learned how he should actually play basketball.

They certainly need to mix it up in some way. I would guess they try to move Steven Adams this offseason. Maybe they could swing something like Adams/Grant/something else for Blake Griffin or something if they want to.

Westbrook might ultimately hold them back forever, but I'm just not sure they can upgrade their team by moving him.
It would be interesting to see the market for Westbrook. I personally think he is overrated and the poster child for showing that traditional stats don't tell the whole story. I would be interested to know how many teams would want him on his current deal.

It would be interesting to see the market for Westbrook. I personally think he is overrated and the poster child for showing that traditional stats don't tell the whole story. I would be interested to know how many teams would want him on his current deal.

You'd think, and yet he's consistently ranked among the best in terms of his on-off court splits, which at least seem to suggest that he's bringing a lot of value to the team when he's on the floor. He's a really weird player; might be more like a Ben Simmons type where his value is undeniable but he can be exposed in the playoffs once teams have time to really gameplan for each team.

Edit: In the 3 years without Durant, here's his net rating in the regular season vs. playoffs (in that order)

2017: +12.5 vs. +62.8!!!
2018: +12.0 vs. -12.7
2019: + 6.1 vs. -19.7

You'd think, and yet he's consistently ranked among the best in terms of his on-off court splits, which at least seem to suggest that he's bringing a lot of value to the team when he's on the floor. He's a really weird player; might be more like a Ben Simmons type where his value is undeniable but he can be exposed in the playoffs once teams have time to really gameplan for each team.

Edit: In the 3 years without Durant, here's his net rating in the regular season vs. playoffs (in that order)

I think that is a good comparison because I don't think the Sixers should max Simmons either. Obviously All-Star players but I will pass.

I don't disagree but I'm not sure what anyone could do with the roster they have. For the record I think the NBA coach is the most overrated impact in sports. There is a reason Phil and Pat only took coaching jobs where there was good talent.

Back to Donovan - you tied the hands of any coach when you signed Russ (who I guess you had to sign to get PG). If I am a fan of OKC I am thinking you need to move one of those two as it seems that your ceiling is the 4/5 series. Where do they go from here?

OKC has two legit all star talents, a quality big man in Adams, an above average scorer off the bench, and a great three and D guy in Grant who has really stepped up. They have plenty of pieces. The problem is there still isn't consistent depth, like in prior years, even though they got Schroder and Grant has stepped up in a big way. Even with that, it's not looking good this series.

all that being said . . . i buy a ticket to see him almost every time he comes to town

I had to check the 2017 one, that's amazing. They were -60.1 per 100 possessions in the 46 minutes he was off. That's nearly a full game, obviously it was spread out over the course of a few games, but still.
I guess those numbers overstate his value a little; basically everything the team does is built around him, so I t makes sense to some extent they'd fall off a ton without him.

OKC has two legit all star talents, a quality big man in Adams, an above average scorer off the bench, and a great three and D guy in Grant who has really stepped up. They have plenty of pieces. The problem is there still isn't consistent depth, like in prior years, even though they got Schroder and Grant has stepped up in a big way. Even with that, it's not looking good this series.

It seems like it should be easier to put shooting on the floor but they have really struggled with it. (Though, wow Jerami Grant was 39.2 from 3 this year)

It's not just this year, it's like every season of his career. Just going regular season only

2017-18: 2.7 per 100 worse when he plays
2016-17: 4.7 per 100 worse
2015-16: 6.1 per 100 worse
2014-15: 0.9 per 100 worse
2013-14: 0.3 per 100 worse
2012-13: 1.9 per 100 worse
2011:12: 3.9 per 100 better

This is 7th season in a row his teams have done better with him off the court. That's stunning. I get there can be some noise in these numbers (though I'm pretty sure the guys with the highest positive totals are usually the best players) but, 7 seasons in a row?

Saw this in Zach Lowe's last column; Derozan has taken 5 three pointers total since 1/1/19.

As a Raptors fan I knew we needed to move on from Demar, and was happy the move down. Not as glad as when we finally traded Bargnani which was a joyous occassion. I literally hated that lazy bum Bargnani more than anything in life, I simply wanted to move on from Demar and wish him well. He is a good kid-- well man now -- extremely hard worker off the court, but he was just taking us nowhere.

Demar tried hard and was committed to the team. But his poor D, his "closing" of space, and his inability to make others more efficient, have held him back from helping a team despite his numbers. Lowry was always more valuable than him.

Last edited:
As a Raptors fan I knew we needed to move on from Demar, and was happy the move down. Not as glad as when we finally traded Bargnani which was a joyous occassion. I literally hated that lazy bum Bargnani more than anything in life, I simply wanted to move on from Demar and wish him well. He is a good kid-- well man now -- extremely hard worker off the court, but he was just taking us nowhere.

Demar tried hard and was committed to the team. But his poor D, his "closing" of space, and his inability to make others more efficient, have held him back from helping a team despite his numbers. Lowry was always more valuable than him.

I still can't believe the Knicks traded a first for Bargnani

This would be tough loss for Portland. They were up 84-75 with under 4 left in third and allowed a 23-6 run at one point. Now down 13. Really bad.

This would be tough loss for Portland. They were up 84-75 with under 4 left in third and allowed a 23-6 run at one point. Now down 13. Really bad.
giphy.gif

i know portland is not on his list, but i wish anthony davis would take a long, hard look at that team.

a swap built around nurkic & leonard would work financially but is not nearly enough return for new orleans. but neil olshey has the reputation as a top notch exec, so maybe he could find a creative way to involve a 3rd team

Am I wrong to say that was a stupid shot by Lillard that happened to work out?

Stupid shot for anyone besides him or Curry.

I think it's probably a stupid shot even for them. It was closer to half court than the 3 point line.

According to Basketball-Reference, Lillard has now attempted 7 shots from 35-40 feet away and after last night's is 1/7.

Steph is 3/21.

I think it's probably a stupid shot even for them. It was closer to half court than the 3 point line.

According to Basketball-Reference, Lillard has now attempted 7 shots from 35-40 feet away and after last night's is 1/7.

Steph is 3/21.
A lot of time on the clock and tie score. Very low percentage.

“Said he's been busting my ass for years. That wasn't true, for one, and this was the moment of truth. This was the perfect platform and opportunity for him to prove it and you see what happened." - Damian Lillard

Checkmate. Eat it Russ!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom