NBA 2018-2019 | Page 86 | Syracusefan.com

NBA 2018-2019

If you want to make the HOF you need atleast to have one all-NBA team selection or an outstanding college/international career to supplemental your case.

The pro basketball HOF lets everyone in but their needs to be some decent standard. I mean If we are letting Lou Williams then anyone decent should get in.
Lou Williams is a like Johnny Damon MLB player he is valuable to his team but he isn’t elite in the context of the sport.
But he's elite in his role, and that's good with me. The role is the distinction.

Plus, the basketball HOF is a bit of a different bird anyway.

How far does the role go? best 7th man? best 8th man? best 12th man????? PURE MADNESS

the basketball HOF is weird, I dont think I can support Lou. But there's a lot of guys in I probably wouldn't support. I'd rather he make it than another college coach

How far does the role go? best 7th man? best 8th man? best 12th man????? PURE MADNESS

the basketball HOF is weird, I dont think I can support Lou. But there's a lot of guys in I probably wouldn't support. I'd rather he make it than another college coach
Best guys that embraced their role off the bench. The umbrella ain't that wide.

Best guys that embraced their role off the bench. The umbrella ain't that wide.

Sure, but "his team didn't think he was worthy of being a starter" (and I know there's some nuance there and it's not that straightforward) isn't exactly a killer argument to make the HOF, which is supposed to be for like, the best players.

Steve Kerr is much better at controlling his temper than most.

Chris Webber isn’t in. Lou Williams shouldn’t even be thought of.

I’m much more in support of guys like Penny Hardaway and Brandon Roy who were legitimately great players but cut short by injury, getting in than role players like Crawford and Williams. Vinnie Johnson ain’t in.

The furthest I’ll go is Rodman and Ben Wallace as hall of famers.

RIP John Havlicek. That’s a bummer.

I still think of guys from that era as being like 50-60 something. He was 79. And the guys I grew up watching are 50-60 something. Damn. Time flies.

Sure, but "his team didn't think he was worthy of being a starter" (and I know there's some nuance there and it's not that straightforward) isn't exactly a killer argument to make the HOF, which is supposed to be for like, the best players.
Wrong! It's supposed to be for those that have made a contribution to the game, which often is represented by the best players, but there are other ways to contribute.

Wrong! It's supposed to be for those that have made a contribution to the game, which often is represented by the best players, but there are other ways to contribute.

If Williams and Crawford ever are to get in, I’ll be camping outside Springfield until Michael Cooper, Lamar Odom, and Robert Horry are in.

If Williams and Crawford ever are to get in, I’ll be camping outside Springfield until Michael Cooper, Lamar Odom, and Robert Horry are in.
All worthy in my eyes, especially Horry.

All worthy in my eyes, especially Horry.

Interesting.

How do you feel about guys like Shawn Kemp or Penny Hardaway? Legit top talents and major stars for a few years who fell off too early for different reasons?

Or how about guys like Rod Strickland or Mark Jackson - very good players for a long time but never quite All Stars or All NBA.

Just curious.

Interesting.

How do you feel about guys like Shawn Kemp or Penny Hardaway? Legit top talents and major stars for a few years who fell off too early for different reasons?

Or how about guys like Rod Strickland or Mark Jackson - very good players for a long time but never quite All Stars or All NBA.

Just curious.
Kemp and Hardaway, in.

Strickland and Mark Jackson, out.

Crest of the career matters. If you get in because you're good, you have to be really good. Like, in the discussion for best at your position against your contemporaries. Kemp and Penny satisfy that.

Strickland wasn't at that level. I wouldn't say his college career really distinguished him.

Jackson might get a vote from me for contributing to the game by introducing the 18 second backdown from the 3 point line, though.

Kemp and Hardaway, in.

Strickland and Mark Jackson, out.

Crest of the career matters. If you get in because you're good, you have to be really good. Like, in the discussion for best at your position against your contemporaries. Kemp and Penny satisfy that.

Strickland wasn't at that level. I wouldn't say his college career really distinguished him.

Jackson might get a vote from me for contributing to the game by introducing the 18 second backdown from the 3 point line, though.

Thanks. Yeah...I agree with all this here.

And lol at that Jackson point. To a teenage me, he was so BORING when he played for the Pacers and was pulling that backdown stuff. He was effective and hung around forever racking up assists though.

Thanks. Yeah...I agree with all this here.

And lol at that Jackson point. To a teenage me, he was so BORING when he played for the Pacers and was pulling that backdown stuff. He was effective and hung around forever racking up assists though.

Random 90s Pacers related memory...as a kid I hit a difficult shot to beat my brother in a driveway 1 on 1 game. To celebrate, I did some weird pulling two finger guns from the holsters on the hips and firing them celebration that I had recently seen Reggie Miller do.

My brother was livid and picked the ball up and nailed me with it. I was laughing so hard that I couldn’t even fight back or get mad that he had just smoked me unnecessarily hard with the ball.

Several times I’ve randomly thought of that memory, started cracking up way too hard, texted my brother about it, and headed to YouTube to try to find that Reggie celebration but have always come up empty in trying to find it.

I agree with all of this except for the last sentence.

vegas agrees with you ...GSW -185 to win it all as we speak. I think those odds are nuts. I think Portland, Toronto, and the Bucks can beat this team. As a Rockets fan, I have to say this edition of the Rockets will not be much of a problem for them. Harden is already acting goofy.

When Durant plays like he did today, it really doesn't matter.

Not quite KD’s first half, but Kawhi just dropped 27 on 10/14 shooting in the first half. Beasting.

Good. Can't stand Jimmy Butler - maybe he'll shut his mouth for a few days, after Leonard schools him.

Last edited:
Not much of an NBA fan. But the success of the Raptors as an organization has been instrumental in the number of Canadian kids who choose basketball as their game. Just look at all the Canadian kids on scholly for div 1 teams. I reffed HS and college ball for 30 years, and the inexorable upswing began when the NBA came to Toronto. It's a thing of beauty. So, Kudos.